X-Can V3, Gilmore Lite or Hornet?
Nov 29, 2005 at 2:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Nicolaij R.

New Head-Fier
It may seem strange to compare home and portables amps, and actually I think it is, but...

I own both a Sennheiser HD580 and a Shure E4 and still I can't decide if I will invest only on sound (and go with an home amp) or even on portability...

I have restricted the choice among the X-Can V3 (about this amp the head-fi community seems devided), the Gilmore Lite (which seems to have general consent here) and the Hornet (which I selected among the portables).

I have read that all these amps have good synergy with the Sennheiser HD580/6x0 series, and that the Hornet does have great synergy with the E4...

Since I haven't already decided if going with a home or portable amp I ask a valutation based exclusevely on SOUND and synergy with the headphones I own...

Nov 29, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 42
I can't comment on the Shure 'phones but can say that the synergy between the X-Can V3 and Senn HD-*** series of 'phones is spot on
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 42
Woot for the X-Can! Remember that it's a tube amp, while the Lite and the Hornet are completely solid-state.

I think that for warmth and depth of sound, the X-Cans match almost flawlessly with the HD580/ 6XX. To better the magic that this amp provides with the X-Can, you'd probably have to spend quite a bit more for a tube like the Slam.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Woot for the X-Can! Remember that it's a tube amp, while the Lite and the Hornet are completely solid-state.

I think that for warmth and depth of sound, the X-Cans match almost flawlessly with the HD580/ 6XX. To better the magic that this amp provides with the X-Can, you'd probably have to spend quite a bit more for a tube like the Slam.

Does anyone use the X-Can V3 with Grado's? I wonder if any synergy is possible with this amp and a can like the HF-1.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Does anyone use the X-Can V3 with Grado's? I wonder if any synergy is possible with this amp and a can like the HF-1.

the X-Can V3 sounds pretty nice with the Grado PS-1 and HP-2.

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 42
I have the X-Can V3 for my HD580 with Equinox Cables and it sounds amazing. You can pick the amps up from some of the forums for a decent price. You won't regret it.

Main Rig - Sennheiser HD580 / Stefan AudioArt Equinox Cable upgrade / Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 / Kimber Kable GQ-Mini CU
Portable Rig - Sensaphonics ProPhonic Soft 2X or Bang and Olufsen A8
Home Rig - Creative Gigaworks S750 / PCMCIA Audigy 2 ZS / Creative Decoder DDTS-100

Dec 2, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 42
I tried the X-Can v3 with the entire Grado line from SR60 to RS-1....and I liked it. Expect good things
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 42
my hd650(stock cable) and xcan v3 are a heavenly union. I love its smooth vocals. Thats the main reason why tube amps top my list. I feel closer to the music and the singer. Xcan v3 has a very clean and quiet sound. I plugged my e2c and cranked it to max volume and its still dead quiet. No hum or hiss. The Jan tubes are pretty good for my taste. As one reviewer has said, because of its aesthetic quality, owning an xcan v3 is a pride indeed.

Dec 3, 2005 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 42
I see many positive comments on the X-Can V3, and this makes me think that this amp had been previously underrated on head-fi.
However it's pretty strange that there is no positive (or negative) comment on the Gilmore Lite and the Hornet...

It seems this thread is transforming into a "X-Can V3 appreciacion thread"...

I want to clear that I respect all the positive comments on the X-Can V3, (and probably I will end up buying this one), but a "one way thread" doesn't help me to make a choice...

Dec 3, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolaij R.
I see many positive comments on the X-Can V3, and this makes me think that this amp had been previously underrated on head-fi.
However it's pretty strange that there is no positive (or negative) comment on the Gilmore Lite and the Hornet...

It seems this thread is transforming into a "X-Can V3 appreciacion thread"...

I want to clear that I respect all the positive comments on the X-Can V3, (and probably I will end up buying this one), but a "one way thread" doesn't help me to make a choice...

OK here is one for the Gilmore lite.I think it is a fantastic amp for the money.I use it with all of my phones(except for when I am in a tube mood then I use my ATSL OTL MK 111).

Dec 3, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolaij R.

Sorry but you did ask and IMO you won't go far wrong with a V3. I don't have any experience of the other amps you mention so obviously can't comment on them. Your best bet is to use your ears and audition all of them, only then will you be able to choose the amp that suits your tastes.

Mike.

Dec 3, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Sorry but you did ask and IMO you won't go far wrong with a V3. I don't have any experience of the other amps you mention so obviously can't comment on them. Your best bet is to use your ears and audition all of them, only then will you be able to choose the amp that suits your tastes.

Mike.

Obviously if I have had a chance of auditioning them I would have done, but here comes a little problem: I live in Italy and here is IMPOSSIBLE to audition (and even to buy) the Ray Samuels or HeadAmp products... If I had been lucky I would have found the X-Can V3, but... I haven't been lucky...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back