X-Can V2 with Edicron 6922 tubes mini-review
Jun 15, 2002 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=xx-small]Sorry that this is only a mini-review... But I thought that if I did a full blown one, that it'd end up more of a review of my system than the tubes that i've swapped...[/size]

Compared to the stock JP tubes, the Edicrons have a much more impressive bass bite, not depth as such, but the bass grinds now rather than rolling and the unit now has a great amount of slam which was not evident on the stock tubes.

Midrange... that is so silky smooth now, not quite as upfront as the stock tubes but at the same time more forceful... but certainly a lot friendlier on the ears... Instruments sound how they should now, not a thin, cheap imitation... and vocals, same again - they now sound a LOT more realistic

Treble, this is the most interesting part of this tale, because all traces of sibilance are gone - these things are ruthless at removing that... yet the sound isn't dull - I'm not too technically minded in that respect, so i'm guessing that sibilance is just pure distortion which the tubes remove

Soundstage, this is a lot more apparent to my ears now... things seem crisper in both their definition, and the spatial imaging

So, it looks like its a huge thumbs up... well, not quite...

Volume... these things are a lot quieter at the same volume level as the stock tubes... with the JPs I had the volume at just under 9 o'clock, and with these - to get a comfortable volume, the amp is between 10-11 o'clock

Static... This is only noticeable on high sensitivity 'phones (CD1700s in my case) - not apparent on my HD580s, but when there is no music playing, the level of static you can hear through the headphone out is ever so slightly more than that of the stock tubes.. probably no biggy there, because its still bearly noticeable (unless you turn the volume up to MAX where it is quite hissy) but, just telling it like it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, thats kind of it really... the bottom line, to my ears is that these tubes are an amazing improvement over stock... sounding a LOT more realistic in both tone and presence to my ears and for not a lot of dough either... $28 for the pair!!

So, Tube lovers... after reading my (admittedly not so descriptive) review... where would YOU say that the X-Can V2 & Edicrons lie in terms of value / sound quality - when compared to your OWN amp?

Jun 15, 2002 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 8
...a mini addendum...

I just A/B'd my headphone setup to my speaker one, and it has to be said that the Cyrus III and Cyrus 751 speakers come a very distant second... they sound very harsh in the treble, thin in the midrange, and heavy on the bass...

Wow, I think i'm finally in headphone heaven
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 8
Maybe we should start an X-Can tube rolling thread?
very_evil_smiley.gif
Nice observations!

I use the X-Can with RCA's a lot...but most of my RCA's are made by Amperex, and I've got one set that was made by Siemens. So, far the only set of RCA's I've seen that wasn't made by Amperex or Siemens came from another Head-Fier--- and was made by Philips (identical to the stock tubes
tongue.gif
). Got to be careful out there!

I use the X-Cans with the Sony CD3000. With the right tubes, this amp can really make those headphones come alive. You need a 6922, not a 6DJ8. I accidentally tried a 6DJ8, though, and it worked beautifully, but introduced noise that went away on warm-up. A 6922 is quiet and stayed that way...better able to handle the current. RCA/Siemens 6922's have been my standard so far, with great dynamics, and a nice tonal balance that brings the Sony much closer to neutral than amps like the RA-1 or even the SHA-1.

Even more interestingly, the X-Can has the the best bottom end into low impedance cans I've got. FYI, the Sony R10 is a low impedence can...for this I've got the X-Can decked out in Amperex PQ 6922 US White labels...more to come after some burn-in time...

Jun 15, 2002 at 3:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Maybe we should start an X-Can tube rolling thread?
very_evil_smiley.gif
Nice observations!

I use the X-Cans with the Sony CD3000. With the right tubes, this amp can really make those headphones come alive

Even more interestingly, the X-Can has the the best bottom end into low impedance cans I've got. FYI, the Sony R10 is a low impedence can...for this I've got the X-Can decked out in Amperex PQ 6922 US White labels...more to come after some burn-in time...

I must agree, that with my lowly CD1700s that there is a certain amount of magic going on - far more than with my Sennys, they sound positively limp in comparison

I just can't get over how realistic everything sounds now... Even Blink 182 is nearly listenable now!!
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Static... This is only noticeable on high sensitivity 'phones (CD1700s in my case) - not apparent on my HD580s, but when there is no music playing, the level of static you can hear through the headphone out is ever so slightly more than that of the stock tubes.. probably no biggy there, because its still bearly noticeable (unless you turn the volume up to MAX where it is quite hissy) but, just telling it like it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Try leaving the amp on for 24 hours or so, tell us if it goes away...or lessens, at least. I always thought my Manley Stingray was hissy...until I left it on for a while.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
Try leaving the amp on for 24 hours or so, tell us if it goes away...or lessens, at least. I always thought my Manley Stingray was hissy...until I left it on for a while.

The amp has now been on for +/- 30 hours, and whilst if I turn the volume to max the static is still more than evident (but then again - who is gonna listen at MAX?!?) - it is now even less noticeable than it was when I made that assesment at normal volume levels...

I'd say that you have to have really GREAT hearing to notice this because it is so quiet... and i'm talking about at a volume level where when the music is playing, that 99% of people here would complain that it is too loud...

at softer listening levels, I can't detect it at all now, even with the CD1700s (and we must remember that the CD1700s have something like a 110db/mw sensitivity)...

Another addendum... AFAIK the general consesus is that bass on tubes is supposed to be rolled off, but listening to the new Eminem CD (don't shoot me
wink.gif
) the bass is incredibly deep and punchy (I can't get over the 'slam' factor ~ its an amazingly new experience to me)... IMO MORESO than the V6 on standard equipment!!

Jun 16, 2002 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 8
yet another addendum...

Maybe a reason why these Edicrons appear quieter than the stock JP tubes...

I've noticed that the case of the X-Can is now substantially hotter than it was with the stock tubes... as to whether that is a good thing, or a bad thing - maybe you guys can tell me... but i'm guessing that these tubes need more current than the stock tubes?!?!?!

Jun 16, 2002 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 8
I had been using Amperex 6DJ8's (NOT recommended for the X-Can) which sounded great, but had noise issues on warmup. The Amperex PQ 6922's are dead quiet until you get near the top of the volume range...which leads to some interesting sounds. These appear to be coming from the unattenuated DI/O that the X-Can takes the feed from, rather than the X-Can itself. (That DI/O is the last one I have that's close to stock, but I may have to go in and fiddle a bit...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back