X-can v2 versus v3 comparison
Mar 29, 2004 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tbuddha

New Head-Fier
I have just been starting my office setup, and I have been playing my Sony DVP-S7700 through a Total Airhead into Sennheiser HD 600s.

I went to the annual private sale that my favorite brick-and-mortar store, San Francisco Stereo, held last week. I noticed an X-can v2, which had been a demo model, on sale for $199. I arranged up an A-B comparison between the T/Airhead and the v2 for later in the week.

For reasons not relevant here, I showed up without the T/A, but decided to compare the v2 to the new X-can v3 to see if there was any dramatic difference. I thought the price for the v2 was fairly good, but sure didn't want to buy the v2 if I could get a dramatic improvement with the v3 for about $200. (Isn’t that how this hobby goes? A few hundred here, a few hundred there...)

The test was done playing CDs on a Musical Fidelity A3.2, and listening with Grado RS-1s. It was not ideal A-B test conditions in that I had to take the time to remove the interconnects from one amp and connect them to the other in order to compare them. Also, of course, I had no way to accurately match the sound levels.

I'll just cut to the chase and tell you I was just blown away with the X-can v3! There was no real comparison! I've read the audiophile mags for years and know all the buzz words, but I don't have "golden ears", and don't feel comfortable spouting them. Let's just put it this way. The music was clearer, more accurate in timbre and time, but most of all, the music on the v3 was MUCH more emotionally involving. It just pulled me in to the performance. I bought the v3 on the spot, without knowing how it would do with the HD 600. I shouldn’t have had any worry at all on that account.

I haven't had much chance to listen to it since Friday, and it may improve after burn-in, but right out of the box the v3 is magnificent. I have a pretty good system at home, and I have been very happy with it, but I am hearing my music in a very different way on this office system.

Certainly listening to speakers versus headphones are two very different experiences, and probably cannot be fairly compared. That said, one difference I have noticed is that at home there is really only one precise volume level at which the music sounds the best for critical listening. With my new office setup, it sounds perfect across a pretty wide volume range.

All I can say is, so far I'm loving my music on this new rig.

Mar 29, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 6
The v3 is much better than the v2, and IMO does not get given a fair chance around these parts because of people slagging off the older versions.

I still think the Perreaux is better, but certainly, the v3 has a certain something about its sound that I have not heard from anything else.

Mar 29, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Paul,

Thanks for your reply in another place about where to order the Perraux from New Zealand for delivery in the UK.

If my maths add up [and if I have to pay import duty and VAT] to get the Perraux in the UK works out at [say] £150 more than the v3. I can afford either one. Would you say it was worth the extra to go for the Perraux?

Remo

Mar 29, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by tbuddha
I bought the v3 on the spot, without knowing how it would do with the HD 600. I shouldn’t have had any worry at all on that account.

I'm using that combo and couldn't be happier... then again, I've stopped looking at new gear for the moment to take the edge off my incipient upgradeitus!

lofi

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Remo
Paul,

Thanks for your reply in another place about where to order the Perraux from New Zealand for delivery in the UK.

If my maths add up [and if I have to pay import duty and VAT] to get the Perraux in the UK works out at [say] £150 more than the v3. I can afford either one. Would you say it was worth the extra to go for the Perraux?

Remo

My Perreaux from totally wired only worked out £25 more than an X-Can v3, and personally, at least with regard to the CD3K it is definitely worth the extra, but with the HD600, it may not be so clear cut as I havent heard the HD600 with the Perreaux, but certainly the X-Can amps are voiced for use with Sennheiser. I do think the Perreaux could be a good match for the HD600 too, and is certainly lower maintenance (no tubes to worry about).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back