X-CAN v2 improvement
Dec 17, 2002 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I just recieved the Ault AC/DC adapter for my X-CAN v2 (the one recommended in the Dec. Stereophile review). So far I can only comment that I believe the low end appears to be a bit tighter than before. Other than that, I really do not notice much. Although, I have just had it for about an hour. I'll post something if I notice a dramatic improvement.

Dec 17, 2002 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 6
The review is not in the online archive yet, but in the current print issue. Sorry, I do not have a scanner either. After listening to the X-CAN + Ault AC/DC adapter for a while, I do feel that the new replacement made a audible difference. Overall, it just sounds a bit quicker with a little more control. I feel it was a pretty good addition, especially for $7.95.

Dec 17, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 6
The piece I am talking about, if you have not read the review, is the Ault AC/DC adapter (12V AC at 4.5amps, part #56-821). I bought mine from www.hosfelt.com

Dec 17, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by peter braun
The piece I am talking about, if you have not read the review, is the Ault AC/DC adapter (12V AC at 4.5amps, part #56-821). I bought mine from www.hosfelt.com

That should certainly be an improvement over the 500Ma transformer supplied with the X-Can V2 and will certainly warm the amp up faster.

I am slightly concerned, however, with the specifications but assume there is an internal "thermal" fuse incorporated into this unit?

The cheapest PSU I could find was a christmas tree transformer (with free tree!) but I decided to build my own for £30 (UK) which you can have a look at http://freespace.virgin.net.rock.grotto click on the link "power supply design" for full details.

I find I get "tighter" bass with my home made PSU also but also experience a more "out of head" soundstage. Your best "tweak" would be on the valve (tube) section of the amp and I am presently auditioning a number of valves and will upload my findings to the "Grand valve test" section of my website.

Looks like you've found a half decent power supply..... well done!

Pinkie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back