X-box, PS2, and Gamecube emulators (with a note to the mods inside)
Jan 18, 2006 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
Mods: I have no idea if discussing emulators on head-fi is legal. If I'm doing something wrong, please delete the thread and everything to do with it. I can certainly *see* how this will step on some toes, even if I don't agree with it, and I don't want to get head-fi into trouble. I didn't see anything about this in the "rules and regulations" thread, so here goes.

I'm wondering as to what is the easiest way to get Soul Calibur 2 to run reliably on a PC. I have SC1 via a Dreamcast emulator, but the emulator isn't optimized and doesn't run well. It runs decently most of the time, but my rig isn't that great (P4 3.06ghz), and having to translate processor commands is too much for the CPU to handle. GFX-wise, I'm all good with a 6800 Ultra.

Now, if I could get a viable x-box emulator to work on the PC, it should work better, in theory anyway, since I won't have to translate CPU commands.

Right?

Does anyone know where I can find one? PM me if you don't want to post links to less reputable sites.

I can deal with a PS2 emulator, but I figure that if a DC emulator didn't run well, a PS2 one won't run any better. I can also deal with a Gamecube emulator, since I think SC2 was out for Gamecube, but I don't know if that will run well either.

If I have to buy the game instead of getting a rom, I can do that. I just don't want to get an xbox for just one game, especially seeing how Soul Calibur 3 isn't supported on the original xbox. I'm not a console man, nor do I want to become one, however, I like fighting games, and you don't have any for the PC, at least not any good ones. There's no reason why good fighting games shouldn't be exported to the PC, other than to market consoles, and I don't agree with that. But, that's politics, and I'll leave it aside.

Suggestions, ideas, PM's, all welcome. Thanks!

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Can you set up an emulator to actually play the game off the disc? I'd love to be able to play my PS2/PS1 games on my laptop on flights or whatever.

There are some really good ps1 emulators out, and they can read from discs. Epsxe is a nice one.

Jan 18, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 6
xbox and PS2 games are still mostly unplayable*
gamecube is much better off, but the compatability is still quite limited.

ePSXe is probably the best PSX/1 emulator out there, but you just gotta configure the graphics plugin correctly for the best performance.

*xbox emulator still requires an xbox console itself to play games. emulator writers still haven't figured out how to convert the game DVDs into .xbe (xbox executable) files yet.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 6
It'd be less work just to save up and buy a console. They're so cheap these days (approaching the launch of the next gen) that you almost can't afford not to buy one.

They'll also run MUCH, MUCH better, support multiplayer more easily (which is why we play fighting games in the first place... nobody plays fighting games singleplayer...), and probably look better too.

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
There are some really good ps1 emulators out, and they can read from discs. Epsxe is a nice one.

You can also make an image of your game cd using nero and an emulator can "mount" the CD and play from the image stored on your harddrive eliminating load times. Well worth it if your pc is up to snuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back