X-1, Headphonia or the Hornet?
Jun 1, 2007 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fush

Head-Fier
Hi! I'm looking to buy my first headphone amp. Not because I really need one, but just because I want to try one.
smily_headphones1.gif
The ones that have caught my attention so far are the Headphonia w/DAC, the Emmeline Hornet and the Xtra X-1. I'll probably be using it with different kinds of phones, from the Sennheiser PX100 to the Audio Technica ANC7. Which one would be a good start for me, and give me the best sound for my money?

(I'm well aware of the Headphonia/Meier Audio issue, but to me it seems like it was settled, so I don't mind. So please don't consider that issue when recommending, but only the amp itself.)

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 6
The one I find most interesting at the moment, is the Headphonia. The only thing I don't like about it though, is the (apparent) look and feel. The other two have metal casing, while the Headphonia is "plastic fantastic". But since I've never actually seen one in real life, I can't be sure how much "cheaper" it really feels. Does anyone here have any experience with it?

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll probably be using it with different kinds of phones, from the Sennheiser PX100 to the Audio Technica ANC7. Which one would be a good start for me, and give me the best sound for my money?

How about neither.

I don't think a good amp will make much difference with those headphones. If you are really set to buy one just to try, buy something cheap that can easily be sold.

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 6
If you want to go for the gold try the HeadAmp AE-2 with Crossroads Mylar One X3. Off course the platinum would be AE-2 and Livewires customs.

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDanno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about neither.

I don't think a good amp will make much difference with those headphones. If you are really set to buy one just to try, buy something cheap that can easily be sold.

Hehe, that would definately be the cheapest solution. But I would still like to try an amp, just to see if I can hear a difference or not. I know that the headphones I listed are not the most esoteric ones, but I'm not ruling out any upgrade in that area either.
smily_headphones1.gif
In addition to those mentioned, I own the Sennheiser HD212 and Beyerdynamic DT-231.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back