wyvern audio mini interconnects
Apr 6, 2006 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

coolshot

500+ Head-Fier
i had a chance to listen to Ayt999's cables before he started wyvern audio and i was curious. So now i get a chance to own my very own. These are my impressions on the Cyprium line as well as a preproduction model yet to be named (orgentiem 00 maybe?). I wanted to shed some light on a few things as well as evaluate the cables to myself. There are alot of people out there who believe nothing is right, only what sounds best to your ears. IMO i believe most of it as things are a matter of preference but theres got to be some general standards to where you can start enjoying your music.

I wanted to bench these cables using the lowest common denominator because i wanted to see if personally, ICs really do make a difference. Listening to Alex's ICs definately makes a believer, even using what some people would consider, low-fi gear. For my lowfi set up, if you would, i'm using the headphone out my ipod mini. 192mp3s>ipod mini>cmoy>[TEST IC]>sportapros. They say that lower end equipment cant benefit from quality ICs, i say they can considerably.

testing cables are Cyprium One, the copper based design of wyvern audio. Its aimed at being reference quality at reasonable cost. Its a solid core copper strand.

*excuse the photos, my camera doesnt do floresent lighting good at all. no matter what settings
2006_0405test0095.jpg

next up is the pre-production cable based on a multi-strand copper braid. I will call this 00s since there is no name for it.
2006_0405test0096.jpg

these two will be benched against my DIY cables made by a well known DIYer
here on head-fi. These are your basic cables based on canare starquad cable and nuetrik plugs.

2006_0405test0093.jpg

so how do they stack up? I will just say they are better then my benchmark cable in every respect hands down. The shocker though is that each of the wyvern audio cables bring something different to the table. Both cables inprove SQ across the board, bass, highs, mids as well as relief in the congestion. It lets the sound flow through naturally, letting the sound become more full and pleasant. Sound is more demensional where before alot of things were one noted. This improvement in quality gives an impression of an improvement in quantity as well especially in bass, since now the bass reverberates you get a feeling of twice as much.

For those of who dont know, Alex is a fan of silver and detail, as represented in the flagship line of cables, the Argentum series. I would consider the Cyprium to be the little brother as it follows in bringing reference style detail with copper. The most notable trait of the Cyperium is that its image seperation is superb. It doesnt increase the soundstage, rather the space that is inbetween each note is pitch back. For those of you who enjoy critical listening or enjoy focusing on one aspect of the track(such as a guitar solo), this is your IC.

The 00s, as i like to call it, is definately the 'bottleneck remover'. It lets your gear sound better by not holding anything back. Where is the cyprium is the the tree, the 00s are the forest. It brings everything together is warm, fun signature. Definately the cable to groove with. Sound is very balanced and blended very well. Listening to AFI's "paper airplanes makes makeshift wings", the guitar rift is very overpowering, on top of that the drummer is knocking his cymbals all day long on the track. If you arent paying attention, those cymbal crashes get drowned out by the guitars and the davey havoc's vocals. Not in this case, the cymbals shine through, bringing everything back into perspective.

so there you have it. If you are skeptical about ICs, I think either of the copper ones will make you a believer. If have reservations about silver and how it can sometimes be harsh, this is a great introduction and the price is a reasonable entry into custom ICs. Personally i will be using the Cyprium for home where i can sit in my big chair in private and really listen. I will keep the 00s for my portable rig for music to groove to on the go like at school,gym etc. For kicks i hooked it up to my main rig using apple lossless> x-fi plat> IC>cmoy>ad2000 and suprise, even more of an improvement. I look forward to saving up cash for some RCA-mini cables for my millet.

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 11
Hey Coolshot, nice impressions. I really like that Cyprium cable but I haven't heard the 00. Sounds like a fun one. We have to find a day to meet up and trade those cans. Shoot me a PM if you are going to be in the City or just want to make a quick trip.

Cheers, Volt

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #3 of 11
I ordered the A-8 mini/mini last night in a moment of weakness. Alex was extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with. I'll post impressions of the product after the cable comes in.

Apr 7, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
I ordered the A-8 mini/mini last night in a moment of weakness. Alex was extremely helpful and pleasant to deal with. I'll post impressions of the product after the cable comes in.

Should have said AG-8 (If I'm going to lay down that kind of dough for a cable I really ought to use the proper name; it's like the one on the top of this page: http://www.wyvernaudio.com/Ag8miniPhoto.htm)

Apr 7, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Hey Coolshot, nice impressions. I really like that Cyprium cable but I haven't heard the 00. Sounds like a fun one. We have to find a day to meet up and trade those cans. Shoot me a PM if you are going to be in the City or just want to make a quick trip.

Cheers, Volt

actually you have, its your fav from the meet. I ninja'ed dibs on em via pm. The Ag- series was based from silver one i believe, and cyprium is based on that solid copper core one. The one you like in the middle of the road, the multistrand copper one, was your fav(00), however it isnt released yet as alex prefers the reference/detail rather than the fun. I think he might release the 00s if there is enough interest in them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron

ayt999's Mini-Mini Collection. This was the sole focused listening effort I managed all day. I told Alex I would give them all a listen as compared to some of my other cables. I used utep10's iPod and Turbo Dock II (which itself compared favorably to my PocketDock) into my SMv3 and Super.Fi 5 Pros. The conclusion? Excellent work on all three I heard, all of which had distinct sound signatures.
k1000smile.gif
One was solid copper cable and was the warmest and most laid-back of the bunch. I really liked the way it worked with the Jane Monheit I used as a reference track. Very clear and clean sound. The other end of the spectrum was his all-silver cable that I also heard last fall. It is the brightest and most up-front of the bunch, but it is very clean and transparent as opposed to "bad" bright. Very live and exciting sound. Last was my probably favorite and it fell more in the middle of the two. It was a thicker copper cable (braided or stranded?) with chunky connectors. Anyway, it had a very pleasing sound that was brighter than the solid copper but not as much in-your-grill as the silver. It also delivered a bigger headstage--more air and more room presence in the vocals. Really good work on all of these cables, and I am hoping ayt999 opens a little shop in Mall-Fi one of these days!
smily_headphones1.gif

:

now that you do mention it, it does kinda make the vocals more lush, if thats what you call it. My ad2000s already do this so i guess it was harder to notice but going back to my sportapros, it kinda makes it the vocals in the center very good, while presenting everything outside in the soundstage as one very well put package.

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #7 of 11
Interesting. The one I listened to in Saratoga had a sleeve over it and looked totally different, so I didn't even think of that one. It is a cool cable and Alex should really think about offering it.

Apr 7, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 11
For those of you with Xin's SM3s with switches, are there any limitations to the mini connector on the AG8 or 16 (Neutric versus Switchraft, for example)? There is not an awful lot of room on the top of Xin's amp as well you know.

Any thoughts or counsel would be most appreciated.

Roger

Apr 7, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
For those of you with Xin's SM3s with switches, are there any limitations to the mini connector on the AG8 or 16 (Neutric versus Switchraft, for example)? There is not an awful lot of room on the top of Xin's amp as well you know.

Any thoughts or counsel would be most appreciated.

Roger

I have used Wyvern cables with my SM3 w/switches and either connector works fine. I strongly prefer straight connectors with the SM3 because RA connectors block the switches with an iPod on top. It looks like you have some PCDPs so maybe you have a different setup.

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 11
Voltron,

Took your advice on the straight connectors, thanks. Placed an order today for an AG-16 and decided to go without the heatshrink for just that added space, albeit tiny!

I'll be interested to see how it works with my iMod (by Vinnie at Red Wine Audio), Xin's SM3 and my new AKG K-81DJ. I'll keep you posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back