Wyvern Audio Cables - A Review of a Few
Mar 31, 2006 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MexicanDragon

100+ Head-Fier
It all started because I was in need of a better mini-RCA. I have a Monster Interlink 400Mk.II, which to my knowledge is the highest quality Mini-RCA monster makes. When I purchased this cable a few years back, I bought that one, the monster standard, and the Acoustic Research standard one (that can be found at best buy, etc.). I took them home to demo for a week or so, and the I400Mk.II won by a long shot, so I returned the others, and have enjoyed that ever since. A year or two later, I found head-fi. Now, with quite a bit of cash invested in the portable setup, I decided it was time to step up.

I ordered up a mini-RCA from Wyvern, a 12" Ag-8, and also had him make me a cable I've been in need of, a RA-Straight mini-mini, in Cyprium One flavor.

After talking with him a bit about what I wanted, and being one of the first customers, he asked if I'd be willing to try a couple more of the cables to get a little more input on product development. I gladly obliged.

I was glad to see my box from Wyvern come, and I've spent the last few days playing with the contents.

I found my 2 ordered cables, and was very happy with the build quality. The packaging is great. I love the individual bags these cables come in. For such a precious investment, it is well thought out. Then, I started looking around for some of the other things I hoped were there. I saw the nano, which is such a cute little cable. At work, I am running a 4G iPod with pocketdock to a Supermacro with switches. I've been running a cardas 6" cable from Headroom, which is a good little cable, a nice step up from the ratshack/walmart varieties. Well, at least it was good LAST week. Anyways, the nano was something I was very interested in, as I enjoy having my iPod sit on top of the amp for space conservation, or for use in a bag. It worked well. I was a little worried about the connectors since my SM has switches, but it cleared the bass switch just fine, and sounded good, better than the cardas, which I have liked for the past 6 months.

Most of my time, however, has been spent with the Ag-16.

This cable is very very good. Listening with ety er4p's, and a supermacro out of my iPod, this really did a lot. It widened the soundstage a bit, the bass was a good bit fuller, and had quite a bit of impact. I was really quite impressed with the bass, seeing that I was listening through ER4p's. As cliche as it sounds, the presentation was much "airier" than with other cables I've tried. Out of all the cables I've heard, this is the most impressive.

Actually, I've had a hard time finding time to listen to some of the other cables for a very long time. I'm going to keep listening and update this sometime soon, hopefully with pictures, but the Ag-16 has just kept my ears so enthralled with the music, I just haven't been able to tear myself away. I guess this is a testament to the cable.

Anyways, til I polish this up...

**BRENT**

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 9
Nice impressions and glad to see that someone else thinks highly of these cables! I was worried that I was going to be the only one posting about them. I need to spend more time with the Ag-16 to get the full effect. The non-believers posting in the Cardas mini thread should hear what they are missing!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Nice impressions and glad to see that someone else thinks highly of these cables! I was worried that I was going to be the only one posting about them. I need to spend more time with the Ag-16 to get the full effect. The non-believers posting in the Cardas mini thread should hear what they are missing!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hi there Voltron. I saw your review, and wish I'd posted sooner. Yours is very well put together, and quite o'ershadows my jumbled thoughts. I haven't seen the Cardas mini thread, but I shall definately head over, and yes, you DEFINATELY need to spend more time with the Ag-16, especially with your SM3. I actually enjoy working overtime, just so I can get an extra couple hours of listening time. I just hate it that my HF-1's are too open to really take to work. I don't get as much time to listen at home as I'd like.

Alex sure has created a winner with this Ag-16...

**BRENT**

Apr 1, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Brent, from your and Al's review I think it may be safe to say that we have got some serious competition and eprhaps ewven a new leader for top of the line mini interconnect.

Apr 6, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 9
Sorry for the delay.

I've been really busy with work, and the kids and whatnot. I'm going to try to clean up this review and get some more impressions out. I've been spending a lot of time with the Ag-16, trying to get a better grasp on it. Its a phenomenal cable, but its been hard getting in listening time. I've had a toothache that's bothering my ear, so i've had some downtime as of late.

Boodi: Real quick, over the Cardas (which is a good cable in its own right)... more and cleaner bass, its fairly noticeable. Instrument/voice seperation is better. It has a bit of an airy sense to it. The soundstage also widens a fair amount. I was really impressed with this, since I was using ety er4p's (on an SM1 with a 75 ohm switch). The widened soundstage helped a bit with the "in-the-head" experience that many people find when using ety's.

Edit: This was supposed to have been sent 6 hours ago, but didn't. Anyways, I'll be back in a couple days with more, and that promised clean up on info. Thanks for being patient.

**BRENT**

Apr 7, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 9
MexicanDragon,

Any limitations to the size of connector with the SM3? I have the one with swiches and there's not a lot of room for bigger connectors. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Roger

Apr 7, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi Roger.

The only problem with the connector was that the heatshrink went to the very end. If you have an SM3, contact Wyvern and tell them to leave it a little short. It didn't flip the bass switch, but it did touch it, but only with the shrink. Just leaving a little off will be good. Gotta go, storms are coming...

**BRENT**

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby
MexicanDragon,

Any limitations to the size of connector with the SM3? I have the one with swiches and there's not a lot of room for bigger connectors. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Roger

Apr 13, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the advice. Im my email exchange we decide to go without any heatshrink at all. I ordered an AG-16 with straight connectors (gold-plated) today so soon I will see what they can do. I have high hopes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back