WYSIWYG post/reply editor broken in Chrome
Jul 13, 2010 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

elliot42

500+ Head-Fier
The WYSIWYG editor is broken in Google Chrome. I'm on OS X, using Chrome version 6.0.458.1. All browser extensions have been disabled.
It seems to be working occasionally in the DIY forum, but failing most of the time.

There are two exceptions in the JavaScript Console in Chrome when I load the "New Thread" page, try to compose a PM or open a thread with a reply box:
"Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ]" in /lib/ckeditor/ckeditor.js?v=4:127
"Uncaught ReferenceError: CKEDITOR is not defined" in /mini/1279000741/common.js:31

It's likely the second exception is being caused by the first.
The first exception looks like it's where the ckeditor object is defined; there's an empty array on the referenced line (127) but I don't see how that is a syntax error, or where any syntax error is... guess thats up to the Huddler devs.
Code (extra spaces added by me):
i.smiley_path=HUDDLER_CONSTANTS.JS_VARS.FCK_SMILIE_PATH; i.smiley_descriptions=[]; i.startupFocus=false; i.toolbar=[['Source','Format','FontSize','TextColor'], ['Bold','Italic','Underline','Strike'], ['NumberedList','BulletedList','Link','Unlink'], ['Undo','Redo'], ['HuddlerImage','HuddlerVideo','Table','HorizontalRule','Smiley','HuddlerQuote','HuddlerSpoiler'], ['JustifyLeft','JustifyCenter','JustifyRight','JustifyBlock'], ['HuddlerSpell']];})();

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 17
Yeah its broken for me too in firefox.  Even when in IE and it is working fine it is still horrible.  What is wrong with simple text?  All this script just to apply fonts just makes me angry and slows down your server.

Oh, thanks for making the right click menu disappear.  I didnt like easy cut and paste anyway.  Nor the spell check.  Thanks for taking that away also.

Jul 15, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 17
The editor should be working OK in Firefox.  Make sure you aren't blocking anything from yahooapis.com.  Noscript and Adblock can end up blocking that and then the editor won't work.

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 17
I already tried with all extensions turned off (adblock included) and still the same. The strange thing is that it's been working just fine in Chrome until Tuesday, when there were updates made to the site. Stranger still is that it seems Chrome in Windows works fine.

And I agree that a plain text input for replying would be really nice, it even seems like there is when the JS editor doesn't load, but you type there, press submit and nothing happens. It would be great if this worked and just used regular POST requests like everything else if JS is not available and not required it be encapsulated in an Ajax request. It really bugs me that the accessibility of this site has just been ignored, it's pretty much discriminatory.

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 17
testing testing

my posts/replies have not been appearing.  I am on OSX using Chrome

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 17
hmmm it just worked when I previewed it prior to posting it.  What is the issue?

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #10 of 17
posting seems to be fine for me now, and in fact some of my posts that didn't, well, post, have magically appeared.

Jul 30, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 17
Same prob in Chrome 5.0.375.99 on Win 7. There's a Reply box but no Reply menu (code, font size, bold/italic/underline etc.) and when I try to reply (also from the last post) the page just goes up and does nothing.

First time this happens to me.

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 17
Yep it's happened to me too. I'm using Chrome and Firefox with Windows 7. It hasn't happened in a while but when it did the reply/submit button wouldn't work (clicked it and nothing happened) and I ended up having to copy what I had written in word and restart my browser a couple of times before I could post. No idea what's going on.

edit: Still having the same problem. That and clicking the more button for feeds on the profile page just sends me to the top of the page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back