Wyred 4 Sound Sonos upgrade and Schiit DAC
Dec 19, 2016 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ZAXX40

New Head-Fier
On 2 of my systems I currently use 2 Schiit Yggdrasils being fed from un-modded Sonos Connects. The Yggdrasils are amazing and I am very happy and they improved my systems lots as soon as they were added.  I am always looking for ways to improve my systems. I am heavily invested in Sonos products else where in my house and love their interface so I am hesitant to move to a different streamer. having said that the Sonos Connect is getting very long in the tooth so I am exploring options available today. 

Wyred 4 Sound offers a modification to the Sonos connect Amp and in their word:

"This upgrade entirely bypasses the mediocre Cirrius Logic CODAC and the associated high jitter clocks. The mod was designed to integrate the SONOS system into your high end audio system through an external DAC. This new custom board is installed in the SONOS and directly converts the I²S into up-sampled SPDIF. This new ultra clean low jitter signal is now available through both the Coax and Optical digital outputs. The SPDIF output's sample rate can be factory configured to 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96kHz."

I have been told the Sonos Connect is a bit perfect device. Would this Sonos modification make any sound quality improvements when feeding directly to the Yggdrasil using coax or optical?

I am open to another streaming devices to feed my Yggdrasil but few streamers have the music services that Sonos offer. I currently use Deezer Elite (Flac through Sonos) ,Google Music (better playlists) and flac music on NAS. 

Is this upgrade smoke and mirrors when the Sonos is already feeding a quality DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back