www.glassjaraudio.com -- SOHA Kit 0,1 or 2?
Aug 24, 2007 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jeeger

New Head-Fier
I am contemplating buying a SOHA kit from Jeff Rossel's page glassjaraudio.com. He has kits with sever upgrade 'stages', and I was wondering which one offers the best value for money.
Currently, I'm thinking "What the heck, I'll get the 2", but maybe there is a difference, and I could easier do the upgrades myself (since the SOHA has no SMD soldering...). Also, could someone give me a quick heads-up on the Aury(s/y/i/ ?)caps upgrade?

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #2 of 6
Nah, by the time you get done ordering parts and paying to have them shipped, you may as well have just payed the few dollars difference to get Kit 2.

Edit: And Auricaps are very expensive film capacitors for audio. Because he mentions them and he offers Xicon capacitors, tells me that he is getting some of his parts from Parts Express, and others from Digi-Key.

If he keeps the 0.1uF value but moves to Auricaps, this is may be it:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...Number=027-650

Aug 24, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 6
I would go with kit 2. My soha has blackgates and mundorf caps and it sounds great.So, the better the components the better it will sound.

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, by the time you get done ordering parts and paying to have them shipped, you may as well have just payed the few dollars difference to get Kit 2.

Right, that's true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Auricaps are very expensive film capacitors for audio.

I was just wondering if this is an upgrade for the sound or only another possibility for the caps. But something tells me the Auricaps are an upgrade :wink:

Quote:

Originally Posted by headphonejunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the better the components the better it will sound.

The Blackgates come later^^

Thanks for all your answers.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 6
I bought the level 2 kit some weeks ago and had the auricaps as an upgrade.

They were $8.50 each.
I don't know if they are worth the money since I had no chance to hear a "cheap" SOHA.
I just know that it sounds amazing.
cool.gif

The auricaps seem to be quite similar in reputation like Mundorf Caps.
I wanted Mundorfs first, but Jeff said that they were very hard to get for him.
Maybe he'd have to order them from Germany.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 6
I wonder if the auricaps are better than my mundorfs? Now I am going to have to buy some auricaps. Darn you head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back