WTD PCB for portable amp (Advanced cmoy etc)
Sep 1, 2004 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
I have built a cmoy and have now got to make a few for my brothers and a friend or two.

What I would prefer is a premade pcb which I can add components to which would look a little more professional (than my first attempt - not knocking the cmoy specs from anyone).

A portable 1 or 2 9v design with the buffered voltage splitter and no tiny components that require a talented solderer.

Anyone have their own pcb's made (or a pcb file I could use to get some made with)?

I don't need anything too advanced just a step up from a protoboard cmoy really!

Thanks

Steve

Sep 1, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 18
I think Guzzler posted a file here recently. Maybe it was on Headwize instead?
Or you could just get a Mint board from Tangent. It's just a few more parts than a cmoy and nearly as small
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
A portable 1 or 2 9v design with the buffered voltage splitter and no tiny components that require a talented solderer.

This rules out the MINT - the rail splitter is not buffered, and you must be able to solder SOIC chips.

But you could use the PIMETA board and configure it as a CMoy, this would be much cheaper than having boards made.

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 18
you could do it with a META42 board, but that's a waste of a (now) rare-ish board. Using a PIMETA board you could make a differential CMoy which would be cool, there's a discussion over at HeadWize about it. I did post a design, but it's not a buffered ground so sorry!

edit, here it is anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
if I were to get some made up, I'd make it double layer and tighten the layout up as well, it doesn't cost any extra to go double layer...

g_cmoy2.gif

g

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

This rules out the MINT - the rail splitter is not buffered

I know what you mean, jamont, but I think the original poster just means something better than a resistor divider. A TLE2426 is a resistor divider followed by a small buffer, so it fits the spec.

Not that I'm trying to talk Stevie into using the MINT. Just pointing out that if he makes his own PCB, copying the MINT power supply schematic does do the job.

Quote:

that's a waste of a (now) rare-ish board

Yes, I'm holding onto the last META42s on a one-per-person basis, for people who didn't have the opportunity to build one back in the day.

Quote:

you could make a differential CMoy

Stevie, you might contact Morsel about this. She was noodling around with this idea at one time, and has a partially completed PCB design for it.

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 18
i was working on a small CMOY pcb but nobody seemed to care so i just let the thread die, its a few pages back

Sep 1, 2004 at 11:57 PM Post #8 of 18
I really like your board, Guzzler (with tle2426), it's kind of cute
eggosmile.gif

I had started adjusting it for my polypro input caps and pot (Alps Rk097) in eagle, but with 18€ as minimum price for a drilled board at my local shop, being too lazy to etch it myself, in the end I went back to perf/proto board. Maybe I'll reconsider the pcb for another cmoy-ish amp.

Sep 2, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 18
I've read up a bit more on the amps mentioned above and they are a little more complex than I was intending. Basically a smartened up cmoy was what I was looking for.

Tangent is correct in his suggestion that my buffered voltage was a reference to something like the TLE2426.

Flecom I thought you'd given up due to the expense of the boards but you were also veering towards components too small for my soldering skill (aka lack of skill).

Something more like Guzzlers I think though without seeing a picture of the real board it's hard to say as it's hard to get a grasp of the scale.

Steve

Sep 2, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Flecom I thought you'd given up due to the expense of the boards but you were also veering towards components too small for my soldering skill (aka lack of skill).

it was all through hole, if you could solder any component you could solder those... i wasnt planning on using SMD devices... i may work on it a little more, but there is a hurricane approacing my area the size of the state of florida, soooo i have some other things on my mind
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #11 of 18
I am already in a final design stage. The picture you see now is a failure, had to redesign it again as I use a wrong pot. DUH. Estimate price maybe $7 but of course will post in mall-fi by then.

DSPCB2.jpg

Sep 2, 2004 at 12:52 PM Post #12 of 18
What type of amp is it?

Looks like it has more components than a base cmoy.

Are you going to sell them?

Sep 2, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

What type of amp is it?

Looks like it has more components than a base cmoy.

Are you going to sell them?

This is a Cmoy base amp, no name for it yet at the moment. There are 3 OPA2134 opamp, for left, right and ground. The dual opamp is used for amplifying and buffering.
It uses 1 9V battery and fit into a hammond casing. http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg8.htm

Yes it would be sold but not now. Somewhere near the holiday season.

DSComponent.jpg

Sep 2, 2004 at 2:04 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonhanjk
This is a Cmoy base amp, no name for it yet at the moment. There are 3 OPA2134 opamp, for left, right and ground. The dual opamp is used for amplifying and buffering.
It uses 1 9V battery and fit into a hammond casing. http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg8.htm

Yes it would be sold but not now. Somewhere near the holiday season.

DSComponent.jpg

So it would be like an A47 with a ground channel (Pimeta style)? I'd be interested in a board for that.

[edit] or is the 3rd opamp for a rail splitter, if not, how is the rail splitter configured?

(Also, I'd like to see a larger pad for the input capacitor)

Sep 2, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #15 of 18
Something like a rail splitter. 2 resistor form the half voltage and buffer by the opamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back