WTB: Sony pre-MDR-7909HD MDR-7909s -where?
Apr 15, 2007 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TakuSkan

New Head-Fier
I've given up trying to find the original Sony MDR-7509 headphones here in the Los Angeles area.
frown.gif

Instead, I've decided to just go ahead and order a pair somewhere. But all of the sites I've found selling them online seem to show the same picture for the MDR-7509 as the ones selling MDR-7509HDs:

SONY%20MDR-7509.jpg

That makes me wonder if some dealers are trying to pawn off their MDR-7509HDs as being the original model by leaving off the "HD".

And though I have found dealers to do specify "2006 model", which I assume is probably the MDR-7509HD, none I can find specify the model as being the original.

I'm hoping someone can tell me where I might find a these headphones online either new or used.

Thx
TS

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 3
are the new "HD" ones bad? sorry, I don't know

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by OI812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are the new "HD" ones bad? sorry, I don't know

I've only able to audition them once a few weeks back at a Sam Ash store with no control over what I was listening. But the sound I heard was nothing like the amazing audio I heard through the original model a few years back being fed by an old portable MP3 player. The first thing I noticed was how weak the bass frequencies were.

The opposite was a minor complaint of the original by some. I've always been prone to pumping up bass anyway, so that wasn't an issue for me. From what I've heard in the past few weeks of talking with salesmen, those old MDR-7509s were reasonably well though of in the music industry. Why Sony discontinued them, released a poor replacement, and then discontinued that model fairly quickly is perplexing.

TS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back