WTB HDCD's?
Nov 26, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 24
There are plenty of HDCD's at your local music store. They are not always labeled as such though.

Some HDCD's making rounds in my collection:

Beck - Sea Change
Leo Kottke/Mike Gordon - Clone
Natalie Merchant-Ophelia
Grateful Dead (Most of their recordings are HDCD mastered)

The point is there is a lot of music in the stacks that is HDCD. All of the HDCD encoded recordings I own sound above average on any CD Player, regardless of whether it has HDCD decoding or not. I think they sound better just because the recording engineer put a little more care into preserving the sound quality. Whether the HDCD decoding actually increases sound quality is debatable.

Nov 26, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 24
What about import sources?

I've noticed that foreign markets have more HDCD of the same albums released here in the United States.

Stupid, RIAA.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Nov 27, 2003 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 24
most of joni mitchells CDs are HDCD - most notably blue.

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 24
Damnit! I hate country!

My girlfriend has Dixie Chicks and Faith Hill. Sure enough, they're in HDCD. LOL.

OK, they don't really count as hardcore country.

I've been going through every CD in the place and it's funny which one's are in HDCD. Kinda like a treasure hunt.

-Ed

Nov 27, 2003 at 9:46 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Damnit! I hate country!

My girlfriend has Dixie Chicks and Faith Hill. Sure enough, they're in HDCD. LOL.

OK, they don't really count as hardcore country.

I've been going through every CD in the place and it's funny which one's are in HDCD. Kinda like a treasure hunt.

-Ed

LOL See! I told you so!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 27, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #10 of 24
Heh.. How'd you figure that Tool is hdcd?
rolleyes.gif
*Wonky cover..* Ah, yes on that extra cover, on the back.

Many of the new (all? Virgin?) remastered Mike Oldfield cds are hdcd.. (Or at least the two I just bought.)

Nov 27, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 24
Woo. I don't have that Tool album. I'm gonna have to go get it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, guys!

Keep it coming! HDCD.com's list is certainly not complete. There's more out there for sure.

There's still got to be a good online store (other than eBay) to order HDCD imports.

-Ed

Nov 28, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 24
yeah the HDCD site only hints at all of the discs available, so I don't use it very much. You just have to look closely at each disc inside and out, that's how I discovered the Tool. Gary.

Nov 28, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #15 of 24
I've also discovered that they are remastering some great older discs to HDCD. Van Halen"1984", Yes"Fragile", and "Yessongs". This is being talked about over at Headwize. Gary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back