wtb closed headphones and a portable source
Aug 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KriLi

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow Head-Fi'ers,

I want to buy new headphones, closed full-size or on-ear to use when travelling. Please don't recommend noise cancelling headphones or iem's.
Tested last week a Bose QC15 and didn't like the sound at all. I also get irritations from iem's.

At home I use Sennheiser HD595 which I have for several years, don't have other "good" headhpones.
I like the sound but find the bass too low/flat. Might buy HE-400 in the future but first closed headphones and a new portable source.

The reason for this purchase is a change of carreer and lots of transatlantic flights (6 - 10 hours) coming in the next months.
I've been reading many threads in the last couple of days and have some headphones that may fit the job:

Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80 Ohm or 250 Ohm
               Beyerdynamic DT1350
               Beyerdynamic T51p
               Audio Technica ATH-M50x
               Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
               Sennheiser HD 25 Aluminum

But it isn't clear too me if the DT770 pro has more or less noise isolation that the on-ear models.
I also don't find it a problem how big they are, just want better sounding headphones like the HD595 than noise cancelling headphones.
Most important too me is comfort and noise isolation. Less important is the look but those Beyerdynamics look really great.

I will also be using them at home when playing bass guitar with a combo amplifier so I can't disturb anyone which I do now :wink:

The music I listen is all kinds of rock (favorite bands are Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, White Stripes, Led Zeppelin, Queens of the Stone Age, Kings of Leon),
funk, jazz, dubstep and drum 'n' bass. My library consists of FLAC 16/44.

Next to buy is a portable player that supports FLAC but I've got no idea.
Been thinking of an iBasso DX50 and also use it on PC as DAC or a Fiio E17 with a Sansa Clip+ or Clip Zip.

My budget is more or less 500 EUR  = 670 USD = 400 GBP.

I hope this info helps, looking forward for other options and opinions.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #2 of 4
Aug 7, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 4
Those headphones do cost alot more than for instance the DT770, do they have equal or better comfort/noise isolation.

How about the isolation between the full-size (DT770, ATH-M50x) compared to the on-ears?

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 4
  Those headphones do cost alot more than for instance the DT770, do they have equal or better comfort/noise isolation.

How about the isolation between the full-size (DT770, ATH-M50x) compared to the on-ears?

The cans I mentioned all isolate more than the M50.  With regard to the DT 770, I haven't compared them.  In large part this is because the very large DT 770 was dsigned for in home use, while the cans I listeed were designed to use on the go.  Even if I favored its soudn signature, I would not think of using the DT 770 for a portable or on the go can.  It'sjust too damn big and does not fold up at all.  If you believe the manufacturer promotion, the M50 was designed to use in the studio, although they have too much of a "V" shaped sound signature for that purpose.

Further making all of this even more of an apples to oranges comparison, is the the sound signatures of the two groups of cans is so different.  The DT 770 & M50 both have versions of the "V" shaped sound signature.  The cans I listed range from warm but still neutral-ish to dead on neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back