WTB: Closed headphone ($200, low impedance, bassy)
Dec 19, 2009 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jonothon

New Head-Fier
*I am almost certain that my question has not been answered in another thread. My apologies if I am wrong.*

Salut!
I have about $200 to spend on a new pair of headphones. This is what I want...
-low impedance (For my portable players [I really don't want to buy a portable amp])
-bassy, punchy
-wide soundstage
-40mm+ driver
-around $200

That's really all...
I listen to all sorts of music. But its important that the headphone doesn't sound "harsh" with heavy metal type music, my last IEM (Shure SE115) sounded terrible with metal.

Something similar to the Shure SRH840 would be even better, just not as power hungry.

Any ideas will be much appreciated!
Thanks for reading!

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 17
Can I ask why you are looking for a 40mm+ driver specifically? I don't know how hard they are to drive but the denon d2000's are appealing based on what you have mentioned.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 17
Shure SRH-750dj, just got mine yesterday, and they absolutely fit your description perfectly. They are bassy (maybe too much for my tastes, but burn-in will tell), incredibly punchy, even from a sansa clip. The soundstage is pretty good, comparable to SRH840s

For $150, these are very good low-z cans.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask why you are looking for a 40mm+ driver specifically? I don't know how hard they are to drive but the denon d2000's are appealing based on what you have mentioned.

because bigger driver = smaller freq range? also i haven't actually seen any high end closed phones with a driver smaller than 40mm.
the d2000 have great specs, but i would need some more cash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain100 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure SRH-750dj, just got mine yesterday, and they absolutely fit your description perfectly. They are bassy (maybe too much for my tastes, but burn-in will tell), incredibly punchy, even from a sansa clip. The soundstage is pretty good, comparable to SRH840s

For $150, these are very good low-z cans.

i was just looking for an impression on these. this is very helpful! but do you actually have the srh840s?

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 17
This is just from what I remember, I had the 840s, then returned them to the seller, because of the power hungriness. The two have similar sound signatures, but the dj's have more bass and less treble.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #7 of 17
Perhaps the M-Audio Studiophile Q40?

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 17
Grado Sr225 would be your best fit, I had the SRH840 for a week, just returned them , main problem was the weight,I felt like there was a stone or something on top of my head, I consider my JVC ha-rx700 pretty big and heavy when I first bought it.But when I put those back on after trying the SRH840, I felt that the rx700 wasnt heavy at all, especially for long session of listening, it'd cause you some sort of pain on the head, but undeniably it did sound great, the mid and treble were definitely great, bass quantity was okay but tighty and punchy so didnt feel like lacking. But if you put comfort/weight/overall SQ into account, I'd prefer Sr225 anyday, extremely lightweight yet with audiophile level SQ.Of course, it's just my 2 cents.

Dec 20, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #9 of 17
One problem with the SR225i - it's about as open as an open headphone gets. OP is looking for closed cans.

Denon AH-D2000 would be a good choice. They're closed, low impedance, easy to drive, and extremely well constructed. Amazon is blowing them out at $202 shipped at the moment.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One problem with the SR225i - it's about as open as an open headphone gets. OP is looking for closed cans.

Denon AH-D2000 would be a good choice. They're closed, low impedance, easy to drive, and extremely well constructed. Amazon is blowing them out at $202 shipped at the moment.

Just to point out that SRH840 is one of the most heavy cans in the headphone, and could cause some discomfort, but well in that price range i'd second AH-D2000 too, had a brief audition of it before I bought my SR225i
beyersmile.png

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonothon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its important that the headphone doesn't sound "harsh" with heavy metal type music...

IMO the D2000's sound great with metal! You get lots o' that good ole double bass kick drum slam that a lot of other HP's lack...The Shures might be good too. Although I have not heard them, the Shure's seem like they may have similar characteristics from what I have read. The D2000 are right at $ 200, so you should be sure to give them a look.

Dec 20, 2009 at 10:59 AM Post #14 of 17
Hmm, you want a wide soundstage too. Then forget the Q40 I mentioned before, and grab the Sony MDR XB700.
The D2000 hardly isolates and needs a good amp IMO. Without it, they sound harsh in the highs, and boomy in the lows.

Dec 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, you want a wide soundstage too. Then forget the Q40 I mentioned before, and grab the Sony MDR XB700.
The D2000 hardly isolates and needs a good amp IMO. Without it, they sound harsh in the highs, and boomy in the lows.

X2..no amp they suck...in my opinion, not that hot with an amp if you ask me, want mine op?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back