New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy the best headphone amp
for use with my second generation 20 gig iPod
and Grado SR-80's. Any suggestions and/or offers
would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to spend
$200.00 or less.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #3 of 7
Also look into commissioning an amp builder to build you a pimeta....can be had at around $160, and will knock the socks off of (IMHO) any other amp in that price range. Contact Misterx by PM, he's the man for this stuff....

Mar 22, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 7
in about a week, i will sell you my gilmore lite for a lil bit more than 200 if you want, aparently, gilmores and grado's are a great pair. pm me if your willing to stretch your budget tiny bit.

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 7
I just tested a friend's XIN Supermicro amp with my 2nd generation 10 GB ipod and loved it. It was driving HD650's. I haven't bought one yet, it's pricy for me ($150 + a $20 cable).

http://www.fixup.net/products/inlineamp/index.htm

For sure, the ipod alone won't drive the headphones. Let me know what you settle on, as I am also looking...but I think the Supermicro amp will be hard to beat.

Mar 27, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 7
I just bought a Porta Corda II from Steveio on this forum but haven't received it yet. I thought the portability would be an advantage. They seem to have good reviews so I thought I'd give it a shot.
Hopefully it will power the Grado's better than the iPod alone and I'd like to hear the difference the crossfeed effect enhances the sound.

Mar 27, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 7
look also for some consideration on Total Airhead 2004 , it could be your choice ( JMT , who himself do incredible work on port amp. ,is using it ..)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back