WTAudition: Stax, K1000, HD650, 595, RS1or2, etc. in SF Bay Area
Jun 4, 2004 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

daveemac

100+ Head-Fier
I'm getting ready to purchase some kind of serious headphone and would be most appreciative of hearing any hi-end cans in the SF Bay Area (I'm in Oakland).

I currently own SR60s and ER-4Ps. I've had some very nice speaker systems in the past (QUAD 57s and 63s, Audio Note speakers and amps, Audiomat, etc.) but I'll be moving to NYC soon and I'm looking to create a much smaller setup.

I've heard HD600s and didn't like them at all, but it was out of a midfi receiver jack at Good Guys. I'd like to hear 650s or 595s with the recommended gear.

I'm especially interested in hearing Stax and the K1000. For the Stax I'd like to hear the 3030 or 4040, but I'd also love to hear the Omega, which, based on what I've read, may be where I'm headed.

I'm also open to hearing any other hi-end phones. I've listened to the whole grado line, but it's always tough for me to really form an opinion in a stereo store where somebody's blasting Independence Day in 5.1, if you know what I mean, so I'd love to hear the line from 225 to RS1 again.

I'm a professional bass player (jazz mostly), but I listen to all kinds of music. PRAT is perhaps my greatest concern along with an organic and natural presentation. I've enjoyed the SR60s quite well, and have also liked the etys, but find them a bit distant sounding, a bit uninvolving.

I'm also planning on some kind of canalphone, either sensa or ue, but I know there's no auditioning those.

Jun 4, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 6
I don't know if there is room at the san jose meet (june 13th) for you, but you can check with utep10 about that. there is a thread going on in the meets forum. I think most of the headphones you want to hear will be there.

otherwise, we may have another small meet at berkeley again during the summer so look out for that.

Jun 4, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 6
You can test the whole Grado line up at Harmony Audio, West Portal, SF. Nice guys there. If you find somewhere with the 595s, please let me know.

Jun 4, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #4 of 6
thanks blessingsx, harmony audio is a great store and probably where I'll go to hear the grados.

Anybody willing to let me hear their stax? Or K1000? Or...??

Thanks!

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 6
You can test the 650's at Audio Vision on Van Ness and Pine with a Creek and a Headline amp. I was actually very impressed with how much better the Headline amp sounded. You can also hook up a Cardas cable too for the comparison.

They are very arrogant so beware. I think they just want you to buy their super hi-end home systems.

I haven't seen the 595 anywhere yet.

edit: They also said they carry the Stax but I haven't seen it setup yet. You may want to call them about that.

I might be confused about the name. Not sure if if Audio Vison or Audio ? but it's definately on Pine and Van Ness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back