Wrong IPOD
Jun 15, 2014 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

BL33DnEaRs

100+ Head-Fier
After many thread reading, I came upon one stating that the seventh-gen classic 160gb doesnt have pure digital output abilities from the LOD.  Is this true?  This whole time I been wanting to pair it with a C5 via L9 LOD.  Anyone using a 7th gen with an amp?  Id hate to waste money on something that will not improve the sq.  Someone please clarify.

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 10
I have something called a DIYmod.  It's a mod on my 5.5gen ipod(ipod picture) where you solder wires from the Wolfson DAC to the LO connector.  These wires by passes anything before it, volume control, caps, inductors, resistors.  If you want detailed info it's on the DIY section.  Before this mod, although it bypasses the volume control section, it doesn't bypass the others.

Similarly, 6th gen onward, they don't bypass the small SMD components.  I don't know what the sonic benefits are over it, but to me, the 6th gen LO sound different from my DIYmod 5.5 gen.  5.5gen with LO, sounds warmer still, but the 6th gen LO sounds tighter and punchier.  

Jun 15, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 10
Of course I knew to plug the headphones into the headphone jack.   I was interested in an amp.  Read many threads about using a LOD because of pure signal output rather than using the HP out, re-amping an amped signal.So is considering an amp for the Ipod classic 7th gen not capable of being paired with an amp?  Any forum member here have one amped?

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 10
  Of course I knew to plug the headphones into the headphone jack.   I was interested in an amp.  Read many threads about using a LOD because of pure signal output rather than using the HP out, re-amping an amped signal.So is considering an amp for the Ipod classic 7th gen not capable of being paired with an amp?  Any forum member here have one amped?

Using a line-out from the iPod with an amp bypasses the internal amp of the ipod, therefore giving a clean signal to the external amp.  Here's my Classic 7G doing it's thing.

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks Heatfan, its just after getting lost in all types of threads here, I thought I had my research done.  Then I find a thread saying the 7th gen classic doesnt send a clear signal out the LOD. Well obvisously it must, you have one running through an amp.  All I want is a mid-fi portable setup that sounds better than just the ipod nude. 

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 10
  Thanks Heatfan, its just after getting lost in all types of threads here, I thought I had my research done.  Then I find a thread saying the 7th gen classic doesnt send a clear signal out the LOD. Well obvisously it must, you have one running through an amp.  All I want is a mid-fi portable setup that sounds better than just the ipod nude.

beerchug.gif

Yeah, there's a lot of info on iDevices around here.  The line-out with an amp bypasses the internal amp and will give you a clean signal to your external amp.  There are devices that bypass the iPod's DAC (Fostex HP-P1, CLAS, as well as others nowadays) but that is a different expensive animal altogether.  I personally like the iPods's sexy internal DAC.
biggrin.gif

Cheers!!!

Jun 16, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #8 of 10
Second HeatFan's recommendation. The IPod Classic outputs damn good audio. I use both of mine with docks and straight to an amp. I also appreciate the no-hassles UI. Still (!) a good buy.

Enjoy!

Jun 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #9 of 10
Yeah, I thought I had my gear worked out.  Til I found that post that 7th gen classics do not have digital out through LOD.  Thanks alot for the clarification,

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 10
If you want digital out of an iPod Classic, you'll need something like the Pure i-20 dock. It does take pure digital stream out through the dock. I've been considering one, but I'm already running digital files (ALAC) from a network attached server through an Airport Express and into a NAD D1050 DAC/headphone amp. I'm not sure the Pure i-20 will be worth the ~$100 investment to essentially replicate a capability I already have. The iPod line out dock connector (Fiio L9 cable) takes a line out level signal after any EQ is applied, but before the internal iPod amp. I have the latest 160 Gb iPod Classic (7th gen?) and use the Fiio L9 LOD connector into a Fiio E12. The iPod holds all my Apple Lossless files and the E12 drives my HE-500s. It's a great semi-portable combination (for me, that is). YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back