writing a DSP...
Jun 18, 2003 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KTpG

100+ Head-Fier
How might one go about writing a DSP program? I have an idea that would change the way the music sounded for the better... but am no digital guy by any means. Is it possible for a normal person to write a DSP codec or something for use on an IC with microcontroller?

Jun 18, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 11
The DSP have an microchip inside. Some uses PCI slot of the computer and you are required to write C language or visual basic to run it.

Good thing is this baby is very fast!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 18, 2003 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 11
Jun 18, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 11
You'll want to start by learning basic DSP principles on a computer. It's actually very easy to get started playing around with DSPs. I highly recommend the book "DSP First" by James McClellan if you're looking to learn the basics. It's accessible for beginners and doesn't require sophisticated mathematics. (A lot of DSP texts assume you have a good background in Calculus, especially Fourier analysis.)

Jun 18, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 11
But I don't know how much signal processing can you actually do without understanding Fourier analysis, FIR and IIR filters etc. You can certainly learn how to program the chip though and you don't really *have* to use it as a DSP...

Jun 19, 2003 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by KTpG
How might one go about writing a DSP program? I have an idea that would change the way the music sounded for the better... but am no digital guy by any means. Is it possible for a normal person to write a DSP codec or something for use on an IC with microcontroller?

Why bother. It is far easier to write your idea in another programming language and just play around with your systems default supported sound formats. If you are windows, its .wav format. Reading and writing that format is fairly easy, there is a lot of example code out there, and programming straight C (or java, or whatever) for the systems processor is a lot quicker than messing around with a dsp. Writing code for a dsp is not especially hard but writing good code for a dsp can be especially if you do not have a strong background in signal processing theory.

Jun 19, 2003 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 11
Well, I have never done any programming, other than calculator programs. hehe

The idea was to have it so I could write it on a chip and integrate that chip into a headphone amp- so this way you can enjoy it anywhere, instead of needing to be on a computer.

Jun 19, 2003 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by KTpG
Well, I have never done any programming, other than calculator programs. hehe

The idea was to have it so I could write it on a chip and integrate that chip into a headphone amp- so this way you can enjoy it anywhere, instead of needing to be on a computer.

Even so. Going directly to a dsp instead of first modeling on your PC is taking on two learning steps up front instead of just the one to see if your idea is worth pursuing. Once you prove your idea is really valid on the PC, then take on the next step on the DSP. Another thing to consider (not trying to discourage you) is that integrating a DSP onto a DIY headphone amp is not going to be trivial.

Jun 20, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

But I don't know how much signal processing can you actually do without understanding Fourier analysis, FIR and IIR filters etc.

You are absolutely right. If the author of the DSP program doesn't know how to transform the digital data into the frequency domain and then manipulate the frequency domain, well, let's just say it would be like a person having no idea how internal combustion works trying to build a sportscar. Could be done, I guess, but not very probable.

Besides, this is DIY, you could really learn something by digging in to how it all works.

BPRJam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back