wow, the Micro Amp crossfeed does really improve the enjoyment of material.
Oct 31, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #61 of 75
Sure! But I'm sorry to say that it (Micro) will have to wait till December in my forecast (money wise). While I'm currently awaiting the Mini Head. I'm positive that it'll perform, notwithstanding its low cost (paid it 92 euro total). Possibly, I'll say something about it as soon as it lands anyway.

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
actually I saw a customizeable pelican carrying bag, with velcro compartments
smily_headphones1.gif

couldnt you just fit the cables between the headphone pads? you can just pick up foam inserts from your local crafts and hobby shop and cut out your own shapes.

Do you remember where you saw the customizable pelican carrying bag with padded compartments?
icon10.gif

I have Iriver + MicroDAC + amp setup so am always looking for something better than my huuuge Pelican case I have right now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 16, 2005 at 4:33 AM Post #64 of 75
Wow. I am very tempted now after reading this post.

Originally, I am saving up for a Hornet, but now, I think I am ganna get a Headroom MicroAmp instead.

By the way, which amp (Hornet or MicroAmp) has better synergy with UE10 Pro?

Nov 18, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #65 of 75
just received my micro amp which is paired with senn 595s and grado sr225s.
it has been a remarkable first hour of listening. i am curious about which gain
setting should be used or is it personal preference? the crossfeed is so much
more impressive than my first airhead way back when. great job headroom and thanks for coming to new york for the meet.

Nov 18, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #66 of 75
Quote:

I decided to try something new and started playing out of windows media and my freakin jaw dropped! I couldnt believe how bad iTunes messed with the sound, It was as if everything opened up and now I here all the reverberations, space and stunning sound stage.

No more itunes listening anymore.

You're almost there now. Foobar2000 with asio4all. ANOTHER NOTCH!

Nov 18, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #67 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz
Wow. I am very tempted now after reading this post.

Originally, I am saving up for a Hornet, but now, I think I am ganna get a Headroom MicroAmp instead.

By the way, which amp (Hornet or MicroAmp) has better synergy with UE10 Pro?

Sorry, I dont have a hornet to compare the two
frown.gif

wallet hurts too much, maybe one day, when I get a hornet I do a side by side comparison.

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #68 of 75
do you need the stack to experience the crossfeed? I can only afford for the amp for now (no DAC), I don't exactly understand what the DAC does? do i need it with my laptop? i currently have an echo indigo pcmcia card, does the dac serve the same function? or would it make it better?

Nov 18, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #69 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by w33bo
do you need the stack to experience the crossfeed? I can only afford for the amp for now (no DAC), I don't exactly understand what the DAC does? do i need it with my laptop? i currently have an echo indigo pcmcia card, does the dac serve the same function? or would it make it better?

Check this post.

Nov 18, 2005 at 9:29 AM Post #71 of 75
the crossfeed is built into the amp, so you dont need to dac to enjoy it, it sounds really good straight out of my muvo slim directly. The dac, though ups the clarity to a whole new level, as the amp inside the headphone out distorts the true sound a bit and hides a lot the inconsistancies in the recording or song file. The first time I used the dac, I thought something was wrong with it, because I heard so much distortion, but it was the song files that were distorting, not the DAC. With the added clarity of the DAC, sound stage and precision is taken to a different level.

You do not need the DAC to enjoy the amps sound. The dac actually takes it to a slightly different sound, a more precise and clean sound. using a digital connection would bypass any obstructions that may be present if it the signal were to travel through the headphone out of a music player.

Nov 18, 2005 at 1:11 PM Post #72 of 75
Think of the DAC as an external sound card. It plugs into your USB port and converts the digital signal into a low level analog one. Then the amp takes the low level signal and supplies the juice needed to drive the headphones. The crossfeed is built into the amp, not the DAC.

The Micro DAC also has the option of taking a digital input such as the digital out of your soundcard or the digital out of your CD/DVD player. But I would tend to use the USB input as that will bypass your soundcard altogether. If you use it with your CD/DVD player, then the Micro DAC will bypass the CD player's built in DAC. Since the Micro DAC is of top quality, this is usually a good thing unless your CD player is a high end one.

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #73 of 75
RnB, I have used USB out from iTunes (on a Mac) a few times and didn't find the quality issues that you did. Did you make sure that 'sound enhancer' etc. were turned off in the preferences? And are you sure that WMP doesn't have something like it's equivalent of 'sound enhancer' that is making you prefer it?

Nov 19, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #74 of 75
EDIT: Sloth, you are correct, Im an idiot, I looked around for the windows eq and it wasnt flat. I just did a comparison right now, and the differences are much smaller. The WMA is still slightly more clear over the AAC. But not as large as before. Thanks for pointing that out.
3000smile.gif

can someone explain to me why there is a hit in quality out of my pc then out of the iriver or cd player? Maybe I have something altered on my itunes or windows media?

Nov 19, 2005 at 3:38 PM Post #75 of 75
Quote:

can someone explain to me why there is a hit in quality out of my pc then out of the iriver or cd player? Maybe I have something altered on my itunes or windows media?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ayreonaut
You're almost there now. Foobar2000 with asio4all. ANOTHER NOTCH!

What I meant is this: Most audio player software passes the signal through the Windows mixer which is less than stellar. Using the freeware Foobar2000 audio player with an ASIO driver bypasses the windows built-in mixer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back