Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jan 30, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #3,091 of 4,363
You did good 😌

Thank you. I've been thinking back to that part of my life actually. My total possessions were:
  • Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Golds
  • Solid state amp (which I changed a few times)
  • Meridian 206B CD player
  • Box of CDs
  • Mac LCII (known as the pizza box) and its monitor.
  • A suitcase full of clothes.
I was working in television and I lived in lodgings, usually with other people who worked in TV as well. When working in TV we worked all the time. It wasn't a 9 to 5 thing, it was an every-waking-moment kind of a job. Having those headphones was a wonderful thing because I would just stop for 15 mins and listen to a few tracks before getting back to work. It was the only way to stay sane!

Today I have a house in Brighton & Hove city on the south coast of England, very near London and it is full of possessions. I love where I live now but I don't think I'm any happier than I was when I lived that simple but mobile existence in London.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #3,092 of 4,363
at first I was amazed at the discovery that headphones can make such an experience

Yes, I do think there is something quite special about headphones which is why I still do it today even though I don't have to. I do like listening to music on regular speakers as well, but there is just something unique and focussed about headphones.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #3,095 of 4,363
What is he difference between reference one and two.
Most Ref1s are 600 ohms impedance, although there are some later versions at 300 ohms, though I have never seen one. Ref2s are 300 ohms, sound similar to the Ref1s but have an upper mid forward peak, not as neutral as the 600 ohm versions and this time I could compare the two directly with the same amps and music. Very little in it as far as using the volume control is concerned. That Ref2 upper mid peak is more of a forwardness than edge or sharpness, although could become so if the music is a particularly hot recording. Otherwise, rhythm and timing are pretty much identical . Some folks might prefer them if they like a slightly brighter sound. I prefer the neutrality of my 600 ohm Ref1s with the Mogami cable.

Jan 31, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #3,096 of 4,363
Most Ref1s are 600 ohms impedance, although there are some later versions at 300 ohms, though I have never seen one. Ref2s are 300 ohms, sound similar to the Ref1s but have an upper mid forward peak, not as neutral as the 600 ohm versions and this time I could compare the two directly with the same amps and music. Very little in it as far as using the volume control is concerned. That Ref2 upper mid peak is more of a forwardness than edge or sharpness, although could become so if the music is a particularly hot recording. Otherwise, rhythm and timing are pretty much identical . Some folks might prefer them if they like a slightly brighter sound. I prefer the neutrality of my 600 ohm Ref1s with the Mogami cable.
Thanks for the information. I have the ref 1 model.

Feb 10, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,099 of 4,363
Question for those using DIY Mogami cables with their HD540s: do you braid them all the way, or just the end? A tiny detail, I know, but still.

Feb 10, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #3,100 of 4,363
Question for those using DIY Mogami cables with their HD540s: do you braid them all the way, or just the end? A tiny detail, I know, but still.
Hi salaca, I just twist them all the way, not too tight, and then cover the cables with some nice soft parachute cable, 2-3mm diameter of whatever colour you fancy. At the Y junction, I use the heat shrink that has the glue on the inside and then mould it around the Y as it cools. Looks neat. I have also used a little over the end of the cable where it enters the plug for each ear capsule and although regular heatshrink can be enough, I like the extra strength, as it holds the fabric of the parachute cord better. A couple of pages back here, I have posted some pics for another enthusiast showing that very thing.
PS seems like my pic or pics are further back than I thought, pre page 198, but I did find this one, it gives you some idea, if not a full view of the Y junction. As you can see, I double insulated the join on the input plugs, taking the outer one right over about half of the plug itself (glue heat shrink, the inner one holding the outer cable cover is stock h'shrink). My Y junction is also quite narrow, a slightly squashed Y, it sure is strong though! Never had any issues.
P9010339.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #3,101 of 4,363
Has anybody made a comparison with the 560i 600ohm and 560i 300ohm? Pretty sure I've read previously that the 560ii has a different signature, but curious what differences come with just the impedance difference on the first model

Feb 13, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #3,102 of 4,363
Been in the HD540 & HD250 game for a while

Does anyone know where I can find velour pads for HD540? Also, any non oem rings for pad swapping available anywhere?

Is it possible to swap HD540g drivers into a HD250 capsule? I think that would be amazing!

Also, my latest HD250 linear 1 600ohm with oem pads sounds less peaky and bright compared to others I have owned in the past. It takes eq like a champ too! So many variations I guess.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #3,103 of 4,363
Been in the HD540 & HD250 game for a while

Does anyone know where I can find velour pads for HD540? Also, any non oem rings for pad swapping available anywhere?

Is it possible to swap HD540g drivers into a HD250 capsule? I think that would be amazing!

Also, my latest HD250 linear 1 600 with oem pads sounds less peaky and bright compared to others I have owned in the past. Even without the foam inserts. It takes eq like a champ too!
The folks at 'wang' who make the pleather pads I use also have a velour variety .. I buy them when I get the pleather ones so that I can use the thinner foams that come with them, rather than the much thicker ones which come with the pleathers. Weird, but there you go. I actually much prefer the 'wang' velour pads on the HD250 Linear (mine are 300 ohm). I'm not a fan of the uplifted bass shelf on the HD250s with pleather or leather pads. The velours allow for a slightly more open midrange as well.
You need to have the special foam inserts that are designed for the HD250s, otherwise the bass reflex flow doesn't work correctly. Although you can't buy them virtually anywhere now, I made up a very close version of them with the guidance of a friend who's done many a pair.
If you should so choose, here is the address for the 'wang' pads: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replace...var=560432574135&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #3,104 of 4,363
+1 for Mogami #2893

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #3,105 of 4,363
I would like to try these out with a balanced XLR cable. I thought I read somewhere in this thread that cables intended for the HD600/650s should fit. However the balanced cable from my hd650s bought from a seller on eBay do not fit and the pins themselves do not look the the same. Can anyone recommend a cable that would fit my HD540s without modification, preferably from a European source?
HD 540 reference  1.JPG

Attachments

• HD 540 reference .JPG
    HD 540 reference .JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back