Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Jul 2, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #2,716 of 4,351
Hey, have you tried putting these foam discs in the wang pleather pads (as shown in the image of the quote below)? It makes the timbre more natural, while taking away nothing else in the sound.

Had a listen today with my HD 540 Gold with wang pleather pads with foam discs in them, Chord Mojo + shielding gear (2 Audioquest Jitterbugs, Hifime USB Isolator, Moon Audio Black Dragon shielded USB cable, all of those make the sound a lot more robust, smooth, bassier and natural as compared to the Mojo stock directly to the USB port), and it's pretty much the king of transparency.

I like it a lot, bass now has decent impact with these pads due to the additional shielding gear I bought for the Mojo (still lacking too much in the sub-bass, but that can't be fixed)
No I haven't done that, at least yet. I usually don't like having no inner foams (at least in the centre of the ear cups), the closest I have come recently was when using the HD540 Ref IIs that have thicker pleather pads (oval inner opening) with just a thin cloth attached to them, instead of foam pads. I found that this accentuated the peak in the Ref II's treble a tad, still clean and communicative in the HD540 way of things, but it bothered me sometimes. The Ref1s as I have them just don't have that peak, or if there, at such a low level that I don't hear it.
The "wang" inners I use that came originally with the velour pads, are a very similar thickness to the original HD540 foam inners and it may be that that's why they seem to work so well for me.
I'm happy to experiment a little further at some stage, although by doing so yourself, you seem to have found an ideal balance with the gear you are using the cans with now. I already have incredibly natural timbre, but that is using the combination of gear that I have here. New gear might require a different set of parameters.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #2,717 of 4,351
Sorry. Another question. I have a five pound extension cable on my phones. Would an upgrade be beneficial. If so what do you recommend. Preferably purchased in the uk. Thanks.
An 'upgrade' could well be beneficial. I am a big fan of Mogami cable, but it's not the only upgrade out there, it's value for money though is probably right up there. You may be able to buy a good length in the UK and make a cable yourself if you are handy, but the Mogami cable is available on eBay as well from Venus Audio. I'm not familiar enough with what is available in the UK, or what isn't. I'd imagine rather a lot.
There may be other UK HD540 fans on this site that can help out, it's worth it!

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #2,718 of 4,351
No I haven't done that, at least yet. I usually don't like having no inner foams (at least in the centre of the ear cups), the closest I have come recently was when using the HD540 Ref IIs that have thicker pleather pads (oval inner opening) with just a thin cloth attached to them, instead of foam pads. I found that this accentuated the peak in the Ref II's treble a tad, still clean and communicative in the HD540 way of things, but it bothered me sometimes. The Ref1s as I have them just don't have that peak, or if there, at such a low level that I don't hear it.
The "wang" inners I use that came originally with the velour pads, are a very similar thickness to the original HD540 foam inners and it may be that that's why they seem to work so well for me.
I'm happy to experiment a little further at some stage, although by doing so yourself, you seem to have found an ideal balance with the gear you are using the cans with now. I already have incredibly natural timbre, but that is using the combination of gear that I have here. New gear might require a different
Yeah forgot to mention, I use the thick inner foams along with those foam rings.

The foam don't do anything to the opening of the pad, they slide in to the sides, and so you get a bit more distance from your ear. I found this helped with portraying the correct timbre of instruments better, than using them without.

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:14 PM Post #2,719 of 4,351
Yeah forgot to mention, I use the thick inner foams along with those foam rings.

The foam don't do anything to the opening of the pad, they slide in to the sides, and so you get a bit more distance from your ear. I found this helped with portraying the correct timbre of instruments better, than using them without.
Ok, thanks, dakanao. You seem to require the thicker foams to work with your own ears and system combo. I'm just fine with the "wang" pleather's distance from my ears, I still get timbre unlike that of any others I've heard, while being totally immersed in the soundstage. However, if I want a little more distance, what you have suggested is a great idea and well worth playing with and it's easily reversible too.

Jul 17, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #2,720 of 4,351
Hi there !!
I just bought HD560 Ovation I and the sound is very great but the earpad is too old .It's little hard to buy something on amazon or ebay in my country,so i wanna ask is here any another headphone earpad can fit on my HD560 that i can easy buy it everywhere(like replace pad for Beyerdynamic ,Senn,AKG,... that selling here :frowning2: )
Sr for my bad english

Jul 21, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #2,721 of 4,351
Hi there !!
I just bought HD560 Ovation I and the sound is very great but the earpad is too old .It's little hard to buy something on amazon or ebay in my country,so i wanna ask is here any another headphone earpad can fit on my HD560 that i can easy buy it everywhere(like replace pad for Beyerdynamic ,Senn,AKG,... that selling here :frowning2: )
Sr for my bad english

You can still find the original HD560 ear pads here:

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd560-ovation-hd560-ovation-ii-earpads-black.html

These are velour pads and additional to the foams they come also with a special "paper-like" ring, probably for dampening a bit the highs of the 560 ovation-II.
I fitted them on one of my 540 pairs and I personally prefer their sound even to this of the well regarded wang_yifei pads.

Jul 21, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #2,722 of 4,351
You can still find the original HD560 ear pads here:

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd560-ovation-hd560-ovation-ii-earpads-black.html

These are velour pads and additional to the foams they come also with a special "paper-like" ring, probably for dampening a bit the highs of the 560 ovation-II.
I fitted them on one of my 540 pairs and I personally prefer their sound even to this of the well regarded wang_yifei pads.
What sound difference did you hear between the HD 560 pads, and wang pleather pads?

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #2,723 of 4,351
What sound difference did you hear between the HD 560 pads, and wang pleather pads?

The wang pads sound like you're on the stage with the band, the velour sound like you're in the front rows... to my taste they give me a better "perspective" on the music. Imagine an oil picture, at first it seems like you see the details better when you're closer, but sometimes the clearer picture appears just when you take a few steps back... It also depends a lot on the type of music you're listening to at the moment. On the other hand, the wang pads have more presence, more punch. Each one has its strenghts and advantages.
That's one of the reasons I bought a few pairs and I have on each one a different configuration, different pads, different foam replacements, dampening felt rings... and I LOVE THEM ALL, each one with its own special character.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #2,724 of 4,351
The wang pads sound like you're on the stage with the band, the velour sound like you're in the front rows... to my taste they give me a better "perspective" on the music. Imagine an oil picture, at first it seems like you see the details better when you're closer, but sometimes the clearer picture appears just when you take a few steps back... It also depends a lot on the type of music you're listening to at the moment. On the other hand, the wang pads have more presence, more punch. Each one has its strenghts and advantages.
That's one of the reasons I bought a few pairs (what you called here in the thread: 'the King', 'the Queen' and 'the Prince') and I have on each one a different configuration, different pads, different foam replacements, dampening felt rings... and I LOVE THEM ALL, each one with its own special character.
Do you also have the HD 540 Gold 300 ohm, and regular 540 Ref 1 600 ohm?

Jul 26, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #2,725 of 4,351
No, I do not have the Golds and neither do I intend to buy them (unless I find an exceptional, very very unusually tempting offer, presumably and preferably without the box...) My choice is to keep a few pairs of the 'regular' versions and use them with different cushions and foams configurations that sound best to my ears.

I have 3 versions of the 540s: The rarer oldest Ref.1-600 Ohm with the ridged headband, the regular Ref.1-600 Ohm with the flat headband and the Ref 1-300 Ohm, all of them bought with the original ear pads. I do not have any 540 Ref. 2 model. I may buy one in the future out of curiosity, but wouldn't expect big sound differences.

I have 2 versions of the 250s: Linear 1-600 Ohms and Linear 2-300 Ohms. The Linear 1 came with worn out 560 ear pads and the Linear 2 with the original ear pads, which are rather hard to find in 'usable' condition.

To make a long story short, the differences are less significant than I expected and rather subtle. Generally speaking, the 600 Ohms sound to my ears a bit more refined and the 300 Ohm a bit more forward and punchy. All this, AFTER taking into consideration the more amplification needed for the 600s to reach the same loudness level as the 300s. In the case of the 250, Ref. 1's sound is a bit more refined than Ref. 2's, although I agree that the bass on Ref.2s is a bit more visceral and punchy. IMO, the 250 and 540 are not cousins but BROTHERS, perhaps not twin brothers, but still brothers... Maybe twin brothers from two different eggs... :dolls:

As we all know, what makes the big difference on these cans are the ear pads. IMO and experience, additionally to this and not less important are the ear distance from the drivers and the source the cans were designed to work with. These were (headphone) amplifiers with very different specs. from the headphone amps today. On these days there were no dedicated headphone amps for public commercial use at all. When I connect them to the headphone out of one of my vintage amps their sound is a completely different story, like you put a glove on the right owner's hand. But I guess that would be altogether another post...

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #2,726 of 4,351
No, I do not have the Golds and neither do I intend to buy them (unless I find an exceptional, very very unusually tempting offer, presumably and preferably without the box...) My choice is to keep a few pairs of the 'regular' versions and use them with different cushions and foams configurations that sound best to my ears.

I have 3 versions of the 540s: The rarer oldest Ref.1-600 Ohm with the ridged headband, the regular Ref.1-600 Ohm with the flat headband and the Ref 1-300 Ohm, all of them bought with the original ear pads. I do not have any 540 Ref. 2 model. I may buy one in the future out of curiosity, but wouldn't expect big sound differences.

I have 2 versions of the 250s: Linear 1-600 Ohms and Linear 2-300 Ohms. The Linear 1 came with worn out 560 ear pads and the Linear 2 with the original ear pads, which are rather hard to find in 'usable' condition.

To make a long story short, the differences are less significant than I expected and rather subtle. Generally speaking, the 600 Ohms sound to my ears a bit more refined and the 300 Ohm a bit more forward and punchy. All this, AFTER taking into consideration the more amplification needed for the 600s to reach the same loudness level as the 300s. In the case of the 250, Ref. 1's sound is a bit more refined than Ref. 2's, although I agree that the bass on Ref.2s is a bit more visceral and punchy. IMO, the 250 and 540 are not cousins but BROTHERS, perhaps not twin brothers, but still brothers... Maybe twin brothers from two different eggs... :dolls:

As we all know, what makes the big difference on these cans are the ear pads. IMO and experience, additionally to this and not less important are the ear distance from the drivers and the source the cans were designed to work with. These were (headphone) amplifiers with very different specs. from the headphone amps today. On these days there were no dedicated headphone amps for public commercial use at all. When I connect them to the headphone out of one of my vintage amps their sound is a completely different story, like you put a glove on the right owner's hand. But I guess that would be altogether another post...
No, not a big difference between Ref 1s and Ref 2s, although definitely and noticeably there is so, an upper mid/lower treble peak that although clean will affect some hotter recordings. My Ref1s leave things basically flat, although I did enjoy my time with the Ref 2s on some music, they still had the communicative and organic flow that the Ref1s do so well. I also must add that the Ref1s are 600 ohms and the Ref2s were 300 ohms and sometimes there wasn't much in it at all regarding driving ergs required :)

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #2,727 of 4,351
@ArChaos

500+ Head-Fier

"I have 3 versions of the 540s: The rarer oldest Ref.1-600 Ohm with the ridged headband, the regular Ref.1-600 Ohm with the flat headband and the Ref 1-300 Ohm, all of them bought with the original ear pads. I do not have any 540 Ref. 2 model. I may buy one in the future out of curiosity, but wouldn't expect big sound differences."

Hi there. I am a LOOOONG time HD 540 Reference user and I have owned just about every variation there was available, both MK1 and MK2. All of the MK1 models, be it 600 or 300 Ohm, featured a Ridged headband. ALL of them. If indeed you have an MK1 with a flat Headband, that is because it is not the Original and someone has replaced or modified it. For example, the HD 430's headband was fully compatible with it and essentially identical, except for the writing on it and that it is flat.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I am selling an HD 540 600 ohm, without ear pads, here:

https://www.ukaudiomart.com/details...phile-600-ohm-headphones-very-good-condition/

And here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223620256143

I have not used the Head-Fi Classifieds for a long while, and last time I have tried to insert a Sale it was a bit of a nightmare. It was far easier and intuitive under the Old, sadly gone, platform.

Leonel

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #2,728 of 4,351
@ArChaos

500+ Head-Fier

"I have 3 versions of the 540s: The rarer oldest Ref.1-600 Ohm with the ridged headband, the regular Ref.1-600 Ohm with the flat headband and the Ref 1-300 Ohm, all of them bought with the original ear pads. I do not have any 540 Ref. 2 model. I may buy one in the future out of curiosity, but wouldn't expect big sound differences."

Hi there. I am a LOOOONG time HD 540 Reference user and I have owned just about every variation there was available, both MK1 and MK2. All of the MK1 models, be it 600 or 300 Ohm, featured a Ridged headband. ALL of them. If indeed you have an MK1 with a flat Headband, that is because it is not the Original and someone has replaced or modified it. For example, the HD 430's headband was fully compatible with it and essentially identical, except for the writing on it and that it is flat.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I am selling an HD 540 600 ohm, without ear pads, here:

https://www.ukaudiomart.com/details...phile-600-ohm-headphones-very-good-condition/

And here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223620256143

I have not used the Head-Fi Classifieds for a long while, and last time I have tried to insert a Sale it was a bit of a nightmare. It was far easier and intuitive under the Old, sadly gone, platform.

Leonel
Have you also heard the HD 540 Gold?

Aug 12, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #2,729 of 4,351
Have you also heard the HD 540 Gold?

Hi. Yes, I had them briefly on loan, although I have never owned them. A bit too rich for my blood. I was very close to win them on auction on a few occasions, but have never succeeded. Undoubtedly excellent as they are, I wasn't convinced of their superiority over the MK1 in 600 Ohm, specifically. In comparison with the MK1 in 300 Ohm, as well as the MK2, however, I felt there was a more significant improvement in terms of refinement and coherence. In terms of outright resolution, I am convinced they are all very close, regardless of generation or impedance...

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #2,730 of 4,351
Hi. Yes, I had them briefly on loan, although I have never owned them. A bit too rich for my blood. I was very close to win them on auction on a few occasions, but have never succeeded. Undoubtedly excellent as they are, I wasn't convinced of their superiority over the MK1 in 600 Ohm, specifically. In comparison with the MK1 in 300 Ohm, as well as the MK2, however, I felt there was a more significant improvement in terms of refinement and coherence. In terms of outright resolution, I am convinced they are all very close, regardless of generation or impedance...
Would you say the MK1 600 ohm and Gold sound a bit the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back