Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Mar 31, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #1,877 of 4,363
Mar 31, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #1,878 of 4,363
Hi again,
Thanks for your answers about the differences between the mk1 and the golds.
Sorry for the offtopic, but I’m also interested in other two models:
AKG K240 DF
BEYERDYNAMIC DT-880 from the ‘80
Differences sonically with the HD540 mk1?
My preferences is transparency, detail and soundstage.
Thanks!

Apr 1, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #1,879 of 4,363
I recently picked up a Schiit Lyr 3 with a LISST tube and a Tung-Sol 6NS7 tube. I started with the solid state tube and noticed that the HD540s sounded more fuller than from the Asgard 2. This morning I switched the the Tung-Sol tube and all i can say is wow. This tube opens up the sound from lows to highs, such an improvement, much more refined low end. I put the HD250 Linears on for a few minutes also, the trebles are fairly harsh and I needed to back off using the Loki. Will spend some time the next few days experimenting.

Apr 1, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #1,880 of 4,363
@quimbo - Ive tried many tubes (using LittleDot 1+) and have found one in particular that blows all the others out the water - 6GH8A EI Yugoslavia ECF82 - Platinum - For me, the TungSols, although excellent, were a bit too bright for my set up. Great tubes though
With this amp and those tubes my HD 250 Linear's outperform all my other headphones including the 540's. I think Ive been very lucky in terms of finding an exceptional particular headphone & a perfect synergy. I can't quite get my head round how phenomenal they sound
If its relevant, they also have fitted these particular pads which are excellent - https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142322218532?ul_noapp=true (2 Ear Pads suitable for Sennheiser HD 250 Linear U. HD 250 Linear II hd250 II)
:)

Apr 1, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #1,881 of 4,363
Hi again,
Thanks for your answers about the differences between the mk1 and the golds.
Sorry for the offtopic, but I’m also interested in other two models:
AKG K240 DF
BEYERDYNAMIC DT-880 from the ‘80
Differences sonically with the HD540 mk1?
Thanks!

To give a very brief response:
I would basically buy both as they are both beyond superb. However in terms of 'transparency, detail and soundstage' the 1980's DT880 is extraordinary. I would use those exact words to describe it. Also the separation and detail of each instrument within the mix is exceptional
The 240DF needs the right amp but it is fuller & richer than the DT880 although is still a reference quality studio headphone. The 240DF is one the top / best headphones that came out of the 1980's and makes a perfect counter part / partner to the 880DT :)

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #1,883 of 4,363
Thanks for the answer, Jon Parker!
Last thing:
Do you recommend any version in particular of the DT880 (‘80)? More or less ohms or version like 880S or another in particular, maybe the 600ohm?
Thankyou!!!

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #1,884 of 4,363
Thanks for the answer, Jon Parker!
Last thing:
Do you recommend any version in particular of the DT880 (‘80)? More or less ohms or version like 880S or another in particular, maybe the 600ohm?
Thankyou!!!
I own the 1980's DT 880 600 ohm 'standard' (Don't get a modern one!) the studio and monitor have greater frequency ranges on top - You certainly don't need any more frequency response than the 'standard' model
to my ears anyway! They are also much more expensive and a lot rarer
I will say though that the right pads and maybe more importantly the right foam discs are important as the treble can be a tad too hot if you dont get those 2 aspects right
It also depends on your amplification / DAP as well - how well the synergy will work for you...in terms of the treble
If you get all this right, they really are a magical and unique headphone :)

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,885 of 4,363
Apr 2, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #1,886 of 4,363

If you dabble with out of production headphones and have those sonic interests better add AKG K1000 to your shortlist.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #1,887 of 4,363
Last night I switched out the LISST for the Tung-Sol 6NS7, music has been playing through it for 24 hours or so. Last night I listened to Close To The Edge after about 2 hours of being the tube being on and it was sublime. Not a lot of time with the HD 540s tonight but I certainly can hear an improvement over the LISST. I'm not one for trying to describe what I hear, listening to a Radiators SBD from 6/12/99 as I type this. The presentation of the music is so good, everything is just where it needs to be, can close my eyes and pretend I am at the show.

I did order a 6SN7gt Ken-Rad Tube *Flat Black Plates*1950* from e-bay today so it looks like my recent vintage headphone obsession (5 pairs in about 2 months) is morphing into a tube obsession

q

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #1,888 of 4,363
Last night I switched out the LISST for the Tung-Sol 6NS7, music has been playing through it for 24 hours or so. Last night I listened to Close To The Edge after about 2 hours of being the tube being on and it was sublime. Not a lot of time with the HD 540s tonight but I certainly can hear an improvement over the LISST. I'm not one for trying to describe what I hear, listening to a Radiators SBD from 6/12/99 as I type this. The presentation of the music is so good, everything is just where it needs to be, can close my eyes and pretend I am at the show.

I did order a 6SN7gt Ken-Rad Tube *Flat Black Plates*1950* from e-bay today so it looks like my recent vintage headphone obsession (5 pairs in about 2 months) is morphing into a tube obsession

q
Now that's a good sign! Close To The Edge can be ..... edgy ... and thin ... so if you can go through that excellent album and relax, them's good toobs. I have amassed a bit of a valve/tube collection too, but have nothing left now to pop 'em into. Kept all the goodies, including the Amperex Orange Globe 1968 6DJ8s (for the Valhalla 2) that were recommended to me by Tom from Schiit. They'd be great with the HD700/800 cans but too much of a good thing with the upgraded Ref1s. Glad you're enjoying the Lyr 2.

Apr 3, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #1,889 of 4,363
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #1,890 of 4,363
Are you talking about the net with the pads, or the outer foam cover between the rear of the driver and the capsule outer? The latter should be fairly straight forward by capsule disassembly. If you're talking about the inner cover that comes with the pads, it ought to be fairly easy too, provided any fungus hasn't infected the drivers themselves.
I am going to have to find replacements for the outer foams on my Ref1s soon, one of them is starting to deteriorate. I'd prefer originals if possible, though there could be a viable alternative, even within the Sennheiser inventory. Anyone?
PS Don't know what happened above, why my text appeared as the original quote :)

Thanks, I managed to separate drivers from the plastics with net in 300ohm version. There were 3 long strands of hair on the driver. I removed them and now bass no longer resonates. Presumed fungus in 600ohm version may not be fungus at all. Back foams in all HD540s get rusty color with time. Maybe it's from them.

I made some observations on the occasion of disassembly. 300ohm version - central element of the driver is white, main internal part is dark. 600ohm version (probably early one) - central element is black, main internal part is bright.
Also there is an important difference in how plastic element with driver fits in plastic element with net. 300ohm version is definitely improved because it lacks doubtful small plastic thingy that keeps falling out in 600ohm version. Anyway, you can't just easily swap drivers between those 2 versions without any modding.

One more question - which models' headbands can be used for HD 540 shells? 430? 420? 560? Only 540?

EDIT: BIG CORRECTION: you CAN'T swap drivers of those 2 versions without modifications.

Here is the driver of Reference I 300ohm version with new headband and velour pads after hair removal:
4329Rwf.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back