Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Mar 15, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,801 of 4,363
I bought a nice exacto knife and was able to trim the plug down on my work set and now have a nice snug fit. Will do my home cables tonight and be all set. The HD540s are perfect headphones for work, very little bleeding of sound, great fit over the ears and very little if any fatigue after wearing for hours.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #1,802 of 4,363
So .... how are the listening sessions going with the Linear IIs? I seem to see them, rightly or wrongly, as a closed set of HD540s, though I think they have been tweaked in the balance. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on them, looking over technical graphs etc, some of them have great variances in the capsules, especially if they come from Ireland, where the QC seems somewhat more relaxed. You might get a goody ... or you might not. I've seen one set that had 7% distortion in the bass with one capsule and 2% in the other side. Not good.
I'm still keen to get a pair though!
Meantime, Mogami'd HD540 Ref reviews, anyone? :)

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #1,803 of 4,363
Mar 16, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,804 of 4,363
Crikey, I didn't expect that! I know the Mogami's good but out-performing Cardas? Well that's just jolly brilliant then, isn't it :) (Sorry, a little bit of British mimic comes out in me at times). I certainly do know how the Mogami behaves with my Ref1s and the Schiit stack and astonishing bass depth it certainly will do if the signal's there in the first place. I'm almost aghast at what it might do with the apparently knee quaking bass of the HD250 Linear IIs ... almost drooling at the though of it, eyes wide at what might happen with that gorgeous live bass guitar on the Larry Carlton/Robben Ford disc, even with the Ref1s it's like being on stage in front of the bass bin :)
Look forward to more from you, Mr Git.

It seems i'm not the only one who has not been bowled over by Cardas cable. To be fair, i've only tried it with HD 540's and HD 250's, maybe it performs at it's best with the HD 600's? Some cables appear to be 'headphone specific'.
Due to unseen circumstances i've not yet spent as much time as I would have liked with the Mogami cable, but I agree with you, if the recording has DEEP bass the Mogami will produce it admirably. Some recordings sound no better than with stock cable, but play a quality recording and the Mogami shines. :)

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,805 of 4,363
The techy I've been chatting with about rebuilding the Linear IIs also sticks to Mogami cable, much preferring it to the oft over-rated Cardas cable. Still, the latter was certainly popular with the HD650 set, maybe it opened up the mids? Comparing the Mogami to the stock cables I have here, it also smooths and extends the upper mids and treble, allowing fine detail without a trace of grain, just lovely.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,806 of 4,363
It seems i'm not the only one who has not been bowled over by Cardas cable. To be fair, i've only tried it with HD 540's and HD 250's, maybe it performs at it's best with the HD 600's? Some cables appear to be 'headphone specific'.
Due to unseen circumstances i've not yet spent as much time as I would have liked with the Mogami cable, but I agree with you, if the recording has DEEP bass the Mogami will produce it admirably. Some recordings sound no better than with stock cable, but play a quality recording and the Mogami shines. :)

I would agree with that assessment based on my limited (under 50 hours) of listening time with the Mogami on the HD540 Ref II, they better the source, the better the shine

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,807 of 4,363
Looks like I have to glove up and operate! My newly acquired HD540RI #2 has a problem with one of the drivers. Last weekend I was losing connection in one ear. Swapped out cables and it was good again. Today I had a chance to listen to them before work and that ear was dead again. Swapped out cables and reversed cables, that ear is dead. I am hoping it is just a bad spring that I have read about. Will not get a chance to sort it out until Sunday.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,808 of 4,363
So .... how are the listening sessions going with the Linear IIs? I seem to see them, rightly or wrongly, as a closed set of HD540s, though I think they have been tweaked in the balance. I've been doing quite a bit of reading on them, looking over technical graphs etc, some of them have great variances in the capsules, especially if they come from Ireland, where the QC seems somewhat more relaxed. You might get a goody ... or you might not. I've seen one set that had 7% distortion in the bass with one capsule and 2% in the other side. Not good.
I'm still keen to get a pair though!
Meantime, Mogami'd HD540 Ref reviews, anyone? :)

I absolutely love my HD250 Linear 1 (600ohm) Made In Germany. Not sure if I lucked out but it is just sublime. That version with more distortion on one side than the other you are referring to:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd250-linear-ii/

Who knows what was going on with Solderdude's set, but he is pretty picky and even he himself still regarded that particular set highly. On other forums archived on Google such as GrahamSlee, you may come across other measurements.

It is easily one of my favourite headphones just because of the frequency balance. Such an excellent mid-range, and while the bass isn't as detailed as my LCD2 it has a great presence and very good extension. The highs I find almost perfect of all the headphones I've owned. They may look exaggerated on graphs but to me have the right detail and air. I also really like how open the 250 sounds for a closed back.

Just having a session right now my LCD2 early rev and the HD250. While the LCD2 will technically edge out the 250, the 250 has a my preferred frequency balance (with perhaps a bit too much bass).

I'd probably love the HD540, and if I didn't have as many headphones and my LCd2 I'd probably jump on it. My other open back, the HD700 I'd keep because it does something totally different.

The HD250 sound authentic - they are the epitome of what a reference studio closed-back professional headphone should be.

Mar 16, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #1,809 of 4,363
I absolutely love my HD250 Linear 1 (600ohm) Made In Germany. Not sure if I lucked out but it is just sublime. That version with more distortion on one side than the other you are referring to:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd250-linear-ii/

Who knows what was going on with Solderdude's set, but he is pretty picky and even he himself still regarded that particular set highly. On other forums archived on Google such as GrahamSlee, you may come across other measurements.

It is easily one of my favourite headphones just because of the frequency balance. Such an excellent mid-range, and while the bass isn't as detailed as my LCD2 it has a great presence and very good extension. The highs I find almost perfect of all the headphones I've owned. They may look exaggerated on graphs but to me have the right detail and air. I also really like how open the 250 sounds for a closed back.

Just having a session right now my LCD2 early rev and the HD250. While the LCD2 will technically edge out the 250, the 250 has a my preferred frequency balance (with perhaps a bit too much bass).

I'd probably love the HD540, and if I didn't have as many headphones and my LCd2 I'd probably jump on it. My other open back, the HD700 I'd keep because it does something totally different.

The HD250 sound authentic - they are the epitome of what a reference studio closed-back professional headphone should be.
Yes, SolderDude's pair are hopefully a rarity, that level of capsule disparity would possibly alter soundstage focus significantly with some music and muddy the bass somewhat. Low level detail would suffer too. I wonder how much the bass detail might, or might not, improve with careful cable choice? Otherwise it would just be something with those cans that is just part of their nature, love it or dismiss it. His were assembled in Ireland too, something I was told to avoid if given the choice between German or Irish assembly. This guy knows his stuff, going by the communication I've had with him, having rebuilt many Senn models for years and having German contacts helps :)
Shame SolderDude doesn't have the stats for the HD540 Refs on record. Great work he's done, regardless.

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:34 AM Post #1,810 of 4,363

When I did a side by side comparison between my old HD 540 Ref 1's and LCD-2's (pre fazor) the HD 540's beat the LCD-2's hands down across the audio spectrum apart from bass response, even then the bass was not a 'day and night' difference...............Not bad for an old set of cans that cost approximately 10% of the LCD-2's price! :)

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,811 of 4,363
A perfect and elegant solution to using after market pads in your HD 540 . . .
Using 3 or 4 looped pieces of electrical tape and the pads sit in perfectly inside the cups :)

Job's a good un'

IMG_0303.JPG

Mar 19, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #1,812 of 4,363
A perfect and elegant solution to using after market pads in your HD 540 . . .
Using 3 or 4 looped pieces of electrical tape and the pads sit in perfectly inside the cups :)

Job's a good un'

Double sided sticky tape or velcro sticky tape may work also if that’s the case.

Mar 20, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #1,813 of 4,363
Hello,
I have the HD250 mk1 (600 ohm) and HD540 mk1 (600 ohm) models.
I would like to know what difference there is directly with the 540 Gold model.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #1,814 of 4,363
Hello,
I have the HD250 (600 ohm) and HD540 mk1 (600 ohm) models.
I would like to know what difference (sonically) there is directly with the 540 Gold model.
Thank you very much.

Hello there,
Technically the golds have much more care taken when they build them in terms of matching the drivers
Its not known what differences there are in terms of tuning or whether the Golds are made in a different way but
in my experience they are definitely a step above the 540 1's and II's
Its not easy to explain because its within the details and the presentation of the frequencies where the difference can be found and this may not be immediately obvious to an inexperienced ear!
I haven't got time to write more today but to use an analogy:
The 540 I are like 720 HD but the 540 Gold are like 1080 HD . . . on a better model !
`they are both High Definition but the experience of the Golds is just 'better'
There will be more people chiming in soon Im sure :)

Mar 21, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #1,815 of 4,363
Hello there,
Technically the golds have much more care taken when they build them in terms of matching the drivers
Its not known what differences there are in terms of tuning or whether the Golds are made in a different way but
in my experience they are definitely a step above the 540 1's and II's
Its not easy to explain because its within the details and the presentation of the frequencies where the difference can be found and this may not be immediately obvious to an inexperienced ear!
I haven't got time to write more today but to use an analogy:
The 540 I are like 720 HD but the 540 Gold are like 1080 HD . . . on a better model !
`they are both High Definition but the experience of the Golds is just 'better'
There will be more people chiming in soon Im sure :)
I have yet to experience the Golds. I only know how fantastic my Ref1s sound these days and man do I love them! If I go and do something else for a day or two then come back to them, I always have the biggest grin on my face immediately, they are just so alive! I'm beginning to think that adding the pleather pads (in particular) and the Mogami cable has brought the bass more in line what I've been hearing and reading about the HD250 Linear IIs, maybe less boomy in the bass, I was getting gorgeous bass guitar this morning with Xavier Rudd's, Koonyum Sun album, steel strings twanging, deep clean and organic .... just wonderful. High frequencies are so natural on this album it's almost demeaning calling them high frequencies! Clean, natural cymbals that sound real and alive, harmonics shimmering in space. Knock out. What a set of cans, they put many other newer models to shame in the most important of ways; communicating real people playing together, with integrity and unexaggerated life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back