Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Oct 27, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,171 of 4,363
  Sorry guys, i've been busy with work and haven't got the time to contact oldstraps again.

So far we have:

@Charliemotta  x1
@nongrata x2-x3
@Noodlz x1
@Bostonears x2
@o0CosmoMemory0o x1
@moriez x1
@Roll x1

and me off course.

So far we have in the best of options 10 headbands for them right? I guess 10 is a fair number for them to produce. I will contact them again and if they accept i will try to have numbers for us. If we all agree on a price i will send one of my headbands for them to make a prototype.

Btw, what you guys would think it would be a fair price? Id be willing to pay like 15€-25€ tops. Is that too much?

Any suggestions to the headband? Just a plain leather one is fine right? What color do you guys prefer?

Btw guys, just to clarify this i don't have anything to do with that brand. I just know the brand because i am i a photography aficionado and their main business is camera straps. And since i was considering this to myself i just wondered if you guys wanted to jump on this boat too =)

Any forward motion to this Ortherion?

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,172 of 4,363
I don't require any HD540 parts now. After selling my final five, I won't be buying any more. Shall be using the K1000 to guide me in speaker audio from now on. All done with headphones. However, if anyone would like any advice or information regarding caring for the HD540 headphone, I'm only a message away.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #1,173 of 4,363
I've been using the HD540ii for about a year now.  I recently stumbled upon HD430s and while I enjoy the 540ii, I prefer the sound signature of the 430.  For me, they actually complement each other.  Have any of you had the chance to compare the two?  Fantastic headphones.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #1,174 of 4,363
HI All, I bought some HD540 a while ago, and I noticed a slight vibration in one of the drivers. I disassembled it and tried to locate the source of the vibration to no avail. I did understand how to remove the white diaphragm cover over the driver and didn't want to rip it off. So I didn't actually see the driver and see if there was a mechanical problem. Does anyone have any idea what it may be? Its usually evident on big bass notes, so its not always there, and I listen to a lot of acoustic, so its been difficult to pick this up, but now I'm sure there is a problem, and I want it fixed. I suspect its a driver problem and the fix is to replace it. Any ideas out there?
thanks in advance.

Nov 8, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #1,175 of 4,363
Is there any damage to the white material over the driver?
If any of that is slightly torn or loose, that might be the cause.

Other than that, it could simply be a rogue hair lodged somewhere in the fabric or found its way behind it and settled on the driver.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #1,178 of 4,363
Welcome Luke. As for parts it's more a matter of hoping someone still has a working driver lying around and willing to sell or for example an eBayer offering a HD540 with one broken driver. 

If yours is indeed broken you can be that guy :)

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #1,179 of 4,363
Could it be that the transparent plastic on top the drivers is dented?

I had the same problem with my HD560s, but luckily I could undent it with a needle. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #1,180 of 4,363
  Welcome Luke. As for parts it's more a matter of hoping someone still has a working driver lying around and willing to sell or for example an eBayer offering a HD540 with one broken driver. 

If yours is indeed broken you can be that guy :)

Its not bad enough to scrap it, its only on very low bass, which is why I think It may be mechanical problem, but I hear you :)
  Could it be that the transparent plastic on top the drivers is dented?

I had the same problem with my HD560s, but luckily I could undent it with a needle. 
biggrin.gif

I may try this, did you try bluetak?

Nov 9, 2015 at 11:47 AM Post #1,181 of 4,363

Quote:
 I may try this, did you try bluetak?

Bluetak? No, I just cautiously went under the diaphragm and slowly removed all the dents. The sound was pretty buzzy before I did it, but it was perfect again after I was done.

Only do it when the diaphragm is clearly dented though, otherwise you needlessly risk damaging your driver further. 

Now I dont exactly know how a HD540 driver looks, but this demonstrates how I fixed my HD560 driver:

Ofcourse, if you have this problem, you could use another, less risky, method (perhaps sucking), but this one worked for me. The biggest risk is breaking those tiny red wires.

Nov 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #1,182 of 4,363
If blutak fails, I would use a tiny piece of double-sided tape on a tooth pick - do not use anything metal as the magnet will attract it and you'll destroy the diaphragm. 

Just attach the tape on the end, but give it a few touches with your finger first so the natural oils on your skin make sure it isn't TOO strong.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #1,183 of 4,363
Looks like I missed the party on buying replacement parts for the HD540 but maybe someone can point me in the right direction anyways. I've already sent an email off to Sennheiser support but I don't have too much confidence as these headphones have been discontinued for over a decade now.

I picked up a set of HD540s on the cheap but they were missing the earpads and the foam padding over the drivers. Beyond that, they just needed to be cleaned. The sound works fine - well, as well as it can without the earpads anyways.

Anyways, I ordered some aftermarket pads and realized yesterday that the headphones were also missing the retention ring that you have to mount the earcups before placing them over the earcups and I can't seem to find a replacement part anywhere on the internet. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Jan 17, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #1,184 of 4,363
Looks like I missed the party on buying replacement parts for the HD540 but maybe someone can point me in the right direction anyways. I've already sent an email off to Sennheiser support but I don't have too much confidence as these headphones have been discontinued for over a decade now.

I picked up a set of HD540s on the cheap but they were missing the earpads and the foam padding over the drivers. Beyond that, they just needed to be cleaned. The sound works fine - well, as well as it can without the earpads anyways.

Anyways, I ordered some aftermarket pads and realized yesterday that the headphones were also missing the retention ring that you have to mount the earcups before placing them over the earcups and I can't seem to find a replacement part anywhere on the internet. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

New hd540 I and II earpads are not available anymore. hd 560 earpads are still being made. But you need hd 540 plastic ring from what i know to fit hd 560 earpads. Foam pieces are still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back