Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Sep 4, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,156 of 4,363
I also felt that in side-by-side comparison of HD250II and HD540II, the 250 model's bass could be a bit overpowering with some recordings, due to the sealed nature of the earcups and the inevitable amplitude increase close to and at its resonant frequency. Just goes to show that a smaller driver in a sealed enclosure won't imitate the precision of a larger driver in a more open enclosure (HD800 vs HD250). I tried the comparison after stretching the 250 headband to significantly ease the clamping force and using brand new pleather pads so that you get a good ear-driver distance that gives a sound that isn't too closed in. Even after this though, the bass still retained the characteristic of boom tendency with thunderous bass recordings. Try listening to a HD250 with HD540II velvet pads and you will hear the bass character change quite dramatically. With velvet pads, both HD250 and HD540 sound almost exactly the same. The difference between them closes significantly, in my opinion.

Out of HD250, HD540 and HD800, HD540 (II) is still my favourite performer.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #1,157 of 4,363
Hey guys i posted a reply in the sennheiser spare parts petition thread something but i want to get more exposure and i will post it here. If someone feels this is inadequate please do delete one of the entries.

I'm contacting a leather worker here is Portugal that specializes in camera straps but also does many kinds of things. I suggested for them to try and make a headband in leather for our vintage sennheiser.

How many of you guys need one and how many would be interested in trying one for the right price?

Here is their Facebook link
https://m.facebook.com/oldstrapspt

They agreed to make a prototype only if theres is a considerable amount of people interested in these. If you guys want or know someone that would like one just ask here. I think these headphones deserve a premium headband instead of the old torn and smelly pleather ones.

Thank you

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #1,160 of 4,363
Definitely interested as well

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,165 of 4,363
Sorry guys, i've been busy with work and haven't got the time to contact oldstraps again.

So far we have:

@Charliemotta  x1
@nongrata x2-x3
@Noodlz x1
@Bostonears x2
@o0CosmoMemory0o x1
@moriez x1
@Roll x1

and me off course.

So far we have in the best of options 10 headbands for them right? I guess 10 is a fair number for them to produce. I will contact them again and if they accept i will try to have numbers for us. If we all agree on a price i will send one of my headbands for them to make a prototype.

Btw, what you guys would think it would be a fair price? Id be willing to pay like 15€-25€ tops. Is that too much?

Any suggestions to the headband? Just a plain leather one is fine right? What color do you guys prefer?

Btw guys, just to clarify this i don't have anything to do with that brand. I just know the brand because i am i a photography aficionado and their main business is camera straps. And since i was considering this to myself i just wondered if you guys wanted to jump on this boat too =)

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #1,166 of 4,363
I've been enjoying my HD540s for a few weeks now.  They are quite transparent sounding cans, but to my ears they have a tizziness and slightly unnatural character to the treble in general.  It's not really bad, just just enough to notice that it's a definite colouration of the headphone lending itself to everything I play through them.  I do enjoy them though but I couldn't elevate them to the status that some have done on this thread.  I'm using the hifiman velours and playing mostly through an HRT Microstreamer or HRT>Cayin C5.

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:36 AM Post #1,167 of 4,363
I've been using this EQ on them

Oct 5, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,168 of 4,363
   but to my ears they have a tizziness and slightly unnatural character to the treble in general............ a definite colouration of the headphone 

Agreed. In the end that's exactly what I started disliking about the 540 and enough to be done with it. I'd describe them as flat and linear with a definite tilted treble. What's your take?

Oct 5, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,169 of 4,363
  I've been enjoying my HD540s for a few weeks now.  They are quite transparent sounding cans, but to my ears they have a tizziness and slightly unnatural character to the treble in general.  It's not really bad, just just enough to notice that it's a definite colouration of the headphone lending itself to everything I play through them.  I do enjoy them though but I couldn't elevate them to the status that some have done on this thread.  I'm using the hifiman velours and playing mostly through an HRT Microstreamer or HRT>Cayin C5.C

Could be the hifiman earpads. Source and amp also could be it i recommend graham slee amp's like graham slee bitzie is a excellent companion with hd540.
Also give the hd540 alot of burn in time. hd540 ref 1 600 ohm is little smoother than hd540 ref 2.

Oct 6, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #1,170 of 4,363
I agree with the previous comment. HD540I 600 Ohm and HD540II (300 Ohms) were both very capable from the Graham Slee Bitzie (with Lautus USB cable) when I compared them both from the DAC/amp 's dual analogue outputs. If your source has sibilance then the HD540 will probably also exhibit sibilance. I could not decide whether the Ref I 600 Ohm was better than the Ref II; there was a slight difference between them but both seemed equally capable in various aspects like bass and treble.

As long as a HD540 isn't faulty, give it plenty of playback hours, a HD250II OFC cable, a loosened headband and some fairly firm velvet pads and it should sound great for a headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back