Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
May 13, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #1,066 of 4,363
Thanks Greg. PM was sent. And you probably mean Audio-GD or Yulong.

Ash, I follow and don't follow. But we agree on the bottomline 
biggrin.gif

Ortherion, today I've played it through the Crack. Lovely!

May 13, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,067 of 4,363
I used to use a Graham Slee Bitzie or Graham Slee Solo to drive my HD540II. Both allowed it to sound its best, in my opinion. 

There is very little to fault with the HD540. You can thoroughly enjoy music with them. I'm surprised that I still have nine of them left. Interest for the cleaned refoamed ones I have remaining seems to have died off. Meanwhile, people are still bidding more money on HD650s... Absurd, but that's marketing.

May 13, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,068 of 4,363

Ash, I follow and don't follow. But we agree on the bottomline 
biggrin.gif

Ortherion, today I've played it through the Crack. Lovely!

I've heard (no pun intended =P) that the crack is the way to go. I have a Vali and although i do like the sound of it i still feel they don't put enough power for the HD560. Btw, how much you paid for the crack considering you are in Europe (better answer that one through PM).

May 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #1,069 of 4,363

Yeah, the Audio-GD NFB-11 (what a stupidly unmemorable name :p) , I think that's the one I was eyeing up...  Finally bookmarked it for future reference. 
A few people recommended I look into this stuff already.

What you guys are using to amp your HD540?

These days I am everything with an Objective 2.
I think the HD540 could benefit from a beefier amp though.

May 14, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #1,071 of 4,363
Heads-up guys. With the right timing I can get my hands on parts for Ref I and Ref II. Two headbands, four outer shells and inlays, four silver rings, two driver covers, one driver, one cable. 

Is there anyone besides Cosmo who needs any of this? It's a none too common opportunity. Send me a PM as soon as you can.

May 17, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #1,073 of 4,363
  Heads-up guys. With the right timing I can get my hands on parts for Ref I and Ref II. Two headbands, four outer shells and inlays, four silver rings, two driver covers, one driver, one cable. 

Is there anyone besides Cosmo who needs any of this? It's a none too common opportunity. Send me a PM as soon as you can.

Bump.

May 18, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #1,074 of 4,363
Getting the parts! Still available: Ref II shells plus inlays, four silver rings, Ref I driver covers, one driver. All is spoken for.

The seller is of the opinion Ref I and Ref II share the exact same driver. If I ever knew I forgot what's the case.. ?

May 20, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,077 of 4,363
HD250 and HD540 drivers look very similar and sound very similar although they are calibrated for a sealed capsule and an open capsule respectively. The fronts of the capsules look almost identical, from what I remember, although the backs are different. The main difference between the backs is the HD250 driver frame has an opening on the back whereas the HD540 driver frame has an outward fixture for connecting it to the headband (ear shell slides over it).

May 20, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #1,078 of 4,363
OK thanks Ash. I bought a beat-up HD 250 I with working drivers but unfortunately I wrecked one of the drivers while cleaning it :frowning2:. If anybody has a working HD 250 I driver for sale please let me know, I only need the "bare" driver basically.
By the way the aluminium rings I bought from you about a month ago to "pimp" my HD 250 II were immaculate :)

May 20, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #1,079 of 4,363
You gotta be careful when cleaning the drivers as the connection wires are fragile with hair-like dimensions; sever one and the whole thing is wrecked. I wrecked a couple of drivers in the past. Very frustrating indeed. I decided to only clean as far as the inner capsule, keeping driver cover on. I carefully wiped any dirty surfaces but don't do anything else that will risk the functioning of the headphone and be sensible with what you use to clean it.

May 20, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #1,080 of 4,363
I wrecked one driver because I used too much alcohol on a cloth to clean the outside of the cup while the driver was still inside. There are two tiny holes next to the "headband-connecting-ball" which lead with small "pipes" to the inside of the driver, supposedly the "bass reflex pipes". After cleaning one of the drivers it sounded "submerged". I then disassembled the driver from the cup and saw some fluid/alcohol present inside the driver/air gap in the magnet which probably got there thru the "bass reflex pipes". After some carefull heating wit a heatgun at 80c the sound started to go back to normal. then I made my disastrous error. I blew some air inside the diaphragm thru the opening in the back of the magnet. The voicecoil popped out of the airgap in the magnet and there was still coming some low level sound from the driver. I gently pushed the voicecoil back into the airgap and then the sound was almost back to normal but still sounded a bit "wet". With my second "blow" of air in the magnet opening the voicecoil popped out again but I lost all sound, I probably broke one of the hair-thin wires inside the diaphragm leading to the voice coil unfortunately......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back