Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Apr 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #272 of 4,363
  I'm in the same situation got 1 i would like to buy it, but this one is 600 ohm... so i don't think it can be combined.... But you are a real trooper :)

Quote (from another thread):

300 ohm, 600 ohm, what is the difference?

It's just the volume? Or frequency? Can someone tell me what is really the difference?

600 ohms:
the coil cable is thinner:
- coil is lighter => diaphragm is faster, more responsive
- better damping factor => amp has more control over the driver
=> less distortion, tighter bass (for example), better transient, cleaner sound, etc., etc.
=> better SQ

BUT since a thinner coil cable is more resistant (impedance), your will need an amp with more voltage.
You will also need enough current (ampere) with low sensitivity HPs.
Low sensitivity -> current (ampere)
High impedance -> tension (volts)
All in all, power (watts) = current x tension
In fact, it is a pretty tricky combination of both.
But don't worry, amps like the O2 (combined with the high voltage output of the ODAC) or even the cheap portable but very powerful and pretty neutral FiiO 12 have enough power to satisfy almost every dynamic HP (tube amps are another subject...).

Vintage high impedance output amps/receivers are often even better at driving high impedance HPs because the signal comes directly off the main (speakers) amp with a resistor... (and that means high power... and sometimes Class A power at low levels)

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #273 of 4,363
I'm still in the process of comparing the HD540 Reference I 600 Ohms and the HD540 Reference II (300 Ohms). I have put a set of each drivers under the same acoustic conditions (same earpad type, same cloth type, roughly same headband clamping force, same cable type, same source, roughly same volume of playback etc) and they are very close. The Ref II may just have the edge in overall performance (fractionally higher resolution?) but I cannot rule out the HD540I because they are just too close to easily tell them apart. Plus they both need more run-in (use) before they sound their best, especially the Ref I, which I haven't used much yet.

In default configuration, Ref II outperforms the Ref I, IMO. However, if you put Ref I drivers under default Ref II conditions, this soon evens out the score. I'd imagine the structural differences between the driver variants are rather minor, making it inevitable that one would be able to imitate the other almost perfectly under the right conditions. All IMO, of course.

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #274 of 4,363
Originally Posted by Hairspray /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(while my Ref II sounds almost like a Grado).

Kind of surprising but I seem to be really liking that kind of brightness. If that's what Grado is about I might be on the right track. Which model did you have in mind when you wrote that?

Today I did a little more listening with my 600 ohm Ref I vs Ref II and by golly to my ears it's no contest. The higher resolution of the Ref II just does it for me. The Ref I is good, no doubt and is just a notch smoother in the highs and not as tight overall. Listening to this specific model Ref II is like pushing a button to enable high frequencies which my Ref I just doesn't do. And what's been said before about the HD-600? It's become so clear that it's unnatural and colored when comparing to the 540's. Quite amazing as I always thought of the 600 as a very nice neutral sounding can. I'm not so sure now. Slight downfall of a titan?

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #276 of 4,363
My terminology may not be too accurate. Lot's of learning ahead of me. From my experience, coming from generally darker headphones it's a brighter signature that I'm hearing with my model. Clearer, non-rolled off highs may also give you an idea of what I mean.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #278 of 4,363
The HD600 has an emphasized, "punchy" upper bass IMO. Drums really thump and a double bass instrument in an orchestra stands out more than I feel it should. The midrange is beautiful though and I also felt the treble was at quite a natural level. Just that upper bass that really thumps your ears off when you start to turn up the volume. So I feel the HD600 is close to neutral but not entirely neutral.

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #279 of 4,363
By the way, I'm not trying to undermine or criticise others in my posts and I respect that we all have different experiences and are at various different levels of understanding what we're actually hearing. Just experiment through comparison. Compare compare compare; and when you're done, compare some more. The listener needs time/experience for their expectations to mature.

Here is a well mastered track that you can test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a5QBu4BHro

Apr 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #280 of 4,363
  I'm still in the process of comparing the HD540 Reference I 600 Ohms and the HD540 Reference II (300 Ohms). I have put a set of each drivers under the same acoustic conditions (same earpad type, same cloth type, roughly same headband clamping force, same cable type, same source, roughly same volume of playback etc) and they are very close. The Ref II may just have the edge in overall performance (fractionally higher resolution?) but I cannot rule out the HD540I because they are just too close to easily tell them apart. Plus they both need more run-in (use) before they sound their best, especially the Ref I, which I haven't used much yet.

In default configuration, Ref II outperforms the Ref I, IMO. However, if you put Ref I drivers under default Ref II conditions, this soon evens out the score. I'd imagine the structural differences between the driver variants are rather minor, making it inevitable that one would be able to imitate the other almost perfectly under the right conditions. All IMO, of course.

Wait, how have the headphones not been run much? They are 20 something years old; I would think any burn in that was going to happen would have already, unless you somehow got some new old old old old old stock...

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #281 of 4,363
Yes, I agree with you. You'd expect them to have been used quite a bit by now but because I can't guarantee this, I'll have to wait and see whether I eventually hear any perceived improvements in intelligibility. The whole hi-fi thing is turning out to be a lot less simple than I once believed.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #282 of 4,363
Kind of surprising but I seem to be really liking that kind of brightness. If that's what Grado is about I might be on the right track. Which model did you have in mind when you wrote that?

Today I did a little more listening with my 600 ohm Ref I vs Ref II and by golly to my ears it's no contest. The higher resolution of the Ref II just does it for me. The Ref I is good, no doubt and is just a notch smoother in the highs and not as tight overall. Listening to this specific model Ref II is like pushing a button to enable high frequencies which my Ref I just doesn't do. And what's been said before about the HD-600? It's become so clear that it's unnatural and colored when comparing to the 540's. Quite amazing as I always thought of the 600 as a very nice neutral sounding can. I'm not so sure now. Slight downfall of a titan?

Grado's presentation (extremely front row), not Grado's signature (brightness).

Apr 28, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #283 of 4,363
Wait, how have the headphones not been run much? They are 20 something years old; I would think any burn in that was going to happen would have already, unless you somehow got some new old old old old old stock...

My 540 > 25 years but at the time i bought them i hardly used them (compared to my speakers). Headphones weren't popular.
And then my 540 spent 20 years in a box (i even almost threw them away...).
So i suspect they had max 150 hours.

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #284 of 4,363
It's a shame that Sennheiser no longer make or stock the HD540II velour earpads. Hairspray is loving the Ref I with just HD250 pleather pads, which I have also tried. Pleather completely butchers the stereo image of both HD540 headphones IMO. I suggest that this is because the pleather material does not allow wave fronts to pass both through the earpads and around the earpads; the sound can only go around the pads, confining the spatiality of the image produced within the head. The confined route of the sound also introduces further internal reflections and diffraction. HD540II velour, on the other hand, allows wave fronts directly through the earpads, leading to a more radial dispersion around the ear pinna and resulting in a more encapsulating sensation. Just my reasoning about why I heard a difference.

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #285 of 4,363
Hello folks, first I have to apologize for my bad english, cause Iam from Germany (only had it a few years at school), but I hope you will somehow get what I try to say :wink:

This Thread is very interesting for me, cause there is no comparable discussion in a German board for older Sennheiser headphones, which is very sad in my opinion.

Iam also a big fan of the older headphones like the Sennheiser HD 530, HD 540 -which I own- that seem to be outstanding back in the days and even today.

But what I didnt expect and is somehow confusing to me is, that the Sennheiser HD 530 II is such an unbelievable good sounding headphone. I bought this can last week ago from Ebay with new earpads for just 35€ and didnt expect to much from it.

I dont know if something is wrong with my ears :wink: but the HD 530 II sound to me better than my Sennheiser HD 540 II with new HD250 Earpads. So how can that be?

The Soundstage on the HD 530 II seems to be wider and more open. Also the detail imaging is better. You can hear some details with the HD 530 II that you cant hear with the HD 540 II.

The HD 540 II in comparison doesnt have that wide sound stage and has also a bit more bass. So the sound is thicker, not that open and more close in my opinion. I hope my words fit for the sound description.

Now I am somehow disappointed from my beloved HD 540 II headphone. I mean the wearing comfort is perfect and also the look is much better than the HD 530 II in my opinion. But I never would have thought that the HD 530 II sounds better to me. 

Am I alone with this opinion or is there something true on it?

Best regards Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back