Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Nov 4, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #826 of 4,363
  What for a ultimative Sennheiser Collection.

I have only the HD 530 II.
How can this be compared with the other Sennheiser in your opinion.
Opinions can be various, of course. But it is everytime interesting.

Thanks Strydog
normal_smile .gif

HD 530 II is only 300 ohms. Good headphones. Beautiful mids, weak and slow bass. Very comfortable headphones!

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #832 of 4,363
  This is original old HD 540 headband.

Yes, my first Ref I that I bought had that older variant of headband. That headband type has a finer rachet mechanism for more intricate band adjustments. It also has less weight than the Ref II style headband.

Interesting. I've owned three Ref I units over the years and none of them came with that headband. I guess it's early Ref I vs. later Ref I. Perhaps first year only?

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #833 of 4,363
I'm not sure. I do prefer the newer headband type though as it's more modular, allowing the user to remove the clips holding the headpad in place. I couldn't find a way to remove the pad from the older headband without breaking something. My first HD540I with old headband was 600 Ohms I think but sounded duller and less resolving than the Ref II, also featuring an over-articulate treble even with copper cable. The treble seemed to clip at even the slightest sonic imperfection. Another 600 Ohm Ref I capsule pair that I used performed close to what I expect from the Ref II. Not sure if it sounded slightly better than my Ref II or simply sounded slightly different. Side-by-side comparison of them was inconclusive to which one I felt sounded better.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #834 of 4,363
I think it is a HD430 headband maybe with the headpad changed to the original piece(everything is easy to remove), I have one of those as well (but on a pair of HD250Mk1s), I guess it was replaced at some point, I do not think such version ever existed.
Bottom line is, if your headband is loose/worn out you can easily get a broken one on those locally and just use the headband from that.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #835 of 4,363
  I think it is a HD430 headband maybe with the headpad changed to the original piece(everything is easy to remove), I have one of those as well (but on a pair of HD250Mk1s), I guess it was replaced at some point, I do not think such version ever existed.
Bottom line is, if your headband is loose/worn out you can easily get a broken one on those locally and just use the headband from that.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #836 of 4,363
My 540 Ref 1's were bought shortly after they came out, and, I believe are 600 ohms. I lost the box long ago somewhere. Mine have a lovely balanced sound with a very pure midrange. Something on the order of what I'd expect from the II's. And, there doesn't seem to be any way to disassemble. The pads have been replaced, new ones bought some time ago from Senn. direct. They are velour, and still in excellent shape. Were these original type, or were they something else??

Harry

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #838 of 4,363
  My 540 Ref 1's were bought shortly after they came out, and, I believe are 600 ohms. I lost the box long ago somewhere. Mine have a lovely balanced sound with a very pure midrange. Something on the order of what I'd expect from the II's. And, there doesn't seem to be any way to disassemble. The pads have been replaced, new ones bought some time ago from Senn. direct. They are velour, and still in excellent shape. Were these original type, or were they something else??

Harry

The pads verur is with HD 540 Reference II

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #839 of 4,363

Aulait

Thanks for the information. I know that I've been very happy with them, for a lot of years.

As I write, I'm listening through my Audioengine D1 to a West Hill Radio Archives recording of Verdi's Don Carlo, from 11 Nov 1950, Starring my favorite tenor Jussi Bjorling. Beautiful, clear natural sound. I've never regretted the purchase of anything from Sennheiser, although I'm certain they aren't perfect :)

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #840 of 4,363
I'm still waiting in vain for Sennheiser to manufacture a headphone that hybridizes the design and sonic strengths of both HD540II and HD800. If they do it right, they could manufacture a headphone that is much better than either of them.

They need to focus on all the design limitations that add sonic signature and devise a means of minimizing their audible effect. The less materials and less enclosure, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back