Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Oct 8, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #3,841 of 4,363
It's not about the cables, they deliver a cleaner signal free from hums and various other crap that mask the original signal (the more expensive ones do it better), but they don't deliver a stronger current. It must have happened by chance right at that moment (this is my unprofessional opinion)
I put a lot of cables and other accessories into my system that affected the sound, but I repeat for the hundredth time that upgrades do not affect all headphones the same (someone must think I hate Arya, but honestly I wish they were upgraded with each upgrade), it's safe to adjust (Nowadays, the focus is on releasing as many different sound adjustments to the market as possible)
So, from the "thin" but typical seductive Senn. bass, up to the bass that greatly surpasses the one on Arya, and I don't want to go into details about the structure , dimensionality and decay of that bass (since all that doesn't exist on Arya, where it is only solid and fast)
There are cables that emphasize a certain frequency area, the best quality are those that equally transmit as many frequencies as possible and protect that transmission well from external influences.
And the power supply, which directs the current into a "linear flow" and protects that transmission from external interference (it doesn't matter what kind of cables are placed around the house and to the house, but the most important is the last one that plugs into the device. Of course, replacing those bad cables through the walls also had an impact, but that is already a step into professionalism and requires a lot of money)

I got a little carried away, my intention is not to educate, but to express my opinion about the influence of cables on your problem.
I hope that you have solved it by now, and that you are overall satisfied with the sound
I expect that different cables may have different effects, depending on where they're used within the chain, but I did go back to the original cable and experienced an immediate reverse of the effect, so I dont think it can be a coincidence. I am, however, really struggling with sibilance at the moment, and cannot figure out whether some component is responsible (have tried a lot of changes so far with no joy) or whether the chain is just transparent enough to show some harshness in the AC in this house

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #3,842 of 4,363
Does anybody have any recommendations for 1mm foam? I need to find a replacement for the filter foam in the rear of my 560 II, which is one badly-timed sneeze away from becoming a handful of dust. Basically needing something the same density and thickness (or thinner) as the filter discs that sit between the driver and your ears, but in a sheet

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #3,843 of 4,363
These are some type of fabric but could work? It's a very very thin material so if you're going for it maybe two per side.

On second thought, they have absolutely no stiffness to them and will collapse without pressure or suspension :\

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #3,844 of 4,363
I expect that different cables may have different effects, depending on where they're used within the chain, but I did go back to the original cable and experienced an immediate reverse of the effect, so I dont think it can be a coincidence. I am, however, really struggling with sibilance at the moment, and cannot figure out whether some component is responsible (have tried a lot of changes so far with no joy) or whether the chain is just transparent enough to show some harshness in the AC in this house
My knowledge of cables is very limited, so it is possible that the cables are the culprit.
What changes have you tried?-with the power supply?

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #3,845 of 4,363
My knowledge of cables is very limited, so it is possible that the cables are the culprit.
What changes have you tried?-with the power supply?
I rolled back several things I'd changed in my setup this year, op amps in the dac, interconnects, power cables. I think the issue can only have begun when I went to my balanced pure silver cable, which is substantially more revealing than the stock single ended cable. Without another balanced cable here to try, initially my thought was to consider what else in the chain could I try upgrading in the short term, and that would include things like audio grade fuses, changing the plugs and wall sockets to those made with copper instead of brass, ditto for replacing the plugs in the headphone cable, all of which will take me some time to do. A better dac could also be the solution, but I wont be able to get what I want to test that angle for a quite a while.

But I have just had another thought. What if its the density of foam that I've used in my earpads? I went with the firmest foam, purely because I thought it might last longer, but perhaps I've unwittingly ended up with too much emphasis in the sibilance range as a result? I could really do with another pair of ref II pads to refurbish so I can do comparisons between different foams

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #3,846 of 4,363
I rolled back several things I'd changed in my setup this year, op amps in the dac, interconnects, power cables. I think the issue can only have begun when I went to my balanced pure silver cable, which is substantially more revealing than the stock single ended cable. Without another balanced cable here to try, initially my thought was to consider what else in the chain could I try upgrading in the short term, and that would include things like audio grade fuses, changing the plugs and wall sockets to those made with copper instead of brass, ditto for replacing the plugs in the headphone cable, all of which will take me some time to do. A better dac could also be the solution, but I wont be able to get what I want to test that angle for a quite a while.

But I have just had another thought. What if its the density of foam that I've used in my earpads? I went with the firmest foam, purely because I thought it might last longer, but perhaps I've unwittingly ended up with too much emphasis in the sibilance range as a result? I could really do with another pair of ref II pads to refurbish so I can do comparisons between different foams
Tested different headphones with official earpads and different cables, same issue, so that rules the foam out I guess

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #3,847 of 4,363

I am glad that you intend to upgrade the entire power line.
I've long since stopped thinking about replacing the DAC or Amp as a way to improve the sound, cables do it fantastically.
It is not uncommon to hear among many people, and I myself am of the same opinion, that power cables make the biggest changes in the sound.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #3,848 of 4,363
My last upgrade
I replaced the power supply-GoldKabel with Ansuz Mainz P
For a long time I was satisfied with the sound from the HD 540 RG, but with this latest upgrade the sound became such that I didn't even know that the headphones could deliver such a sound as a whole.
Half a year ago I had a demo on the Dan Clark Audio Stealth and the Meze Elite on the Naim Uniti Atom, and I've had more advanced headphones than what I heard there for a long time. I'm not saying that the HD 540 RG are better headphones, but I would have to hear those two TOTL headphones in to my sistem,then I can give the final judgment
I know this seems funny to you, but it's true

Here I am setting two facts
-HD 540 RG are magnificently tuned headphones with distinct scalability
-Cables make a big impact

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #3,849 of 4,363
Hello there
My quick question: what is the main difference between hd540 ref 1 and ref2 in terms of the sound ? I use my ref II mainly for monitoring with mixing board recording guitar and voice . May additional 300 ohms of the ref 1 provide benefits for such setup ? 😊

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #3,851 of 4,363
It is extremely important that you use one of the numerous coatings to achieve a better contact of the connector (it will affect the sound)
There are effective cheap ones
Are you talking about things like deoxit gold? I've never tried anything like that before, could you say something about the impact that you noticed when using such treatments?
I had been considering getting a gold jewelry cleaning and polishing cloth for something else, but I suppose these might be of some use on contacts as well?

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #3,852 of 4,363
Hello there
My quick question: what is the main difference between hd540 ref 1 and ref2 in terms of the sound ? I use my ref II mainly for monitoring with mixing board recording guitar and voice . May additional 300 ohms of the ref 1 provide benefits for such setup ? 😊
I cant speak for any model except for the ref II, which I own, but I do have a pair of ref I pads, which change the overall sound character and presentation a lot, which will probably account for the bulk of the difference. As for 600 ohm variants vs the ref II's 300, I'm not sure, but others might be of more help here

Oct 15, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #3,853 of 4,363
Are you talking about things like deoxit gold? I've never tried anything like that before, could you say something about the impact that you noticed when using such treatments?
I had been considering getting a gold jewelry cleaning and polishing cloth for something else, but I suppose these might be of some use on contacts as well?
Of course
he contact surfaces on the old headphones do not have full contact( although I notice benefits when treating all the contacts in my system).
The change I notice after the Deoxit treatment is clearer treble and the overall presentation is more "lit"(illuminated).
The change is noticeable, but it is difficult for me to define it precisely.
My Deoxit Gold is in a spray, and I thoroughly soak all contact surfaces.
These days I will order Furutech nano liquid,
Deoxit Gold is good, but the procedure should be repeated after some time

Clean all the contacts that you can reach with a cloth, then spray all the contacts, including those that you could not clean, including a wall outlet, power supplies, interconnects...

Deoxit has a cleaning liquid before treatment with Gold, although I only used it once

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #3,854 of 4,363
Of course
he contact surfaces on the old headphones do not have full contact( although I notice benefits when treating all the contacts in my system).
The change I notice after the Deoxit treatment is clearer treble and the overall presentation is more "lit"(illuminated).
The change is noticeable, but it is difficult for me to define it precisely.
My Deoxit Gold is in a spray, and I thoroughly soak all contact surfaces.
These days I will order Furutech nano liquid,
Deoxit Gold is good, but the procedure should be repeated after some time

Clean all the contacts that you can reach with a cloth, then spray all the contacts, including those that you could not clean, including a wall outlet, power supplies, interconnects...

Deoxit has a cleaning liquid before treatment with Gold, although I only used it once
One thing I have learned recently with my system is that everything makes a difference; I managed to cut some of my sibilance by plugging my pc directly into the wall, instead of running from an extention lead... so this must be worth trying.Is it safe to spray something like that into the xlr outputs on my amp, or would I fill the amplifier with goo?
I suppose this makes the case for rhodium being less prone to oxidation, not needing to be cleaned, at least as often? Certainly never thought about cleaning the wall sockets before, though I have been considering replacing mine with something better than brass lately

Oct 15, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #3,855 of 4,363
One thing I have learned recently with my system is that everything makes a difference; I managed to cut some of my sibilance by plugging my pc directly into the wall, instead of running from an extention lead... so this must be worth trying.Is it safe to spray something like that into the xlr outputs on my amp, or would I fill the amplifier with goo?
I suppose this makes the case for rhodium being less prone to oxidation, not needing to be cleaned, at least as often? Certainly never thought about cleaning the wall sockets before, though I have been considering replacing mine with something better than brass lately
I sprayed all mine, wall socket and power strip, and XLR (everywhere, both male and female)...
The difference is not dramatic, but it makes sense
As for Rhodium, I don't know what to tell you, it makes sense not to spray it
Everyone praises the replacement wall sockets

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back