Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
May 27, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #3,226 of 4,363
They could have come from two, partially broken headphones, pieced together by the headband. :wink:

May 27, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #3,227 of 4,363
Well, I am very glad to have been of some service to your listening pleasure. I couldn't agree more with your last sentence and it's this "unified" presentation that is truly one of the great highlights of the HD540 Ref1s as I have them. They do this naturally, but it can be taken to a higher level, along with their innate timbral accuracy. An organic, 'of a piece' musical performance, intimate and alive. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks again. Some context might help everyone relate to what is meant by "unified" presentation: while my HD580's sound petty decent, the sound is disjointed, they totally lack this unified sense... same is true for my son's 6xx's. Very few dynamic 'phones seem to have it.

May 27, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #3,228 of 4,363
Thanks again. Some context might help everyone relate to what is meant by "unified" presentation: while my HD580's sound petty decent, the sound is disjointed, they totally lack this unified sense... same is true for my son's 6xx's. Very few dynamic 'phones seem to have it.
Agreed regarding the HD6xx too, that's why I never kept mine, good in parts, but never addictively alive and communicative, 'of a piece'. Some improvement using my Mogami cable, yet never enough.

May 27, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #3,229 of 4,363
They could have come from two, partially broken headphones, pieced together by the headband. :wink:
I think so but i'd like to know where the grey driver was taken from (my bet is from a 250 one as i've never seen a 540 grey driver). Obviously the seller said the he know nothing and that is IMPOSSIBLE that there are 2 different drivers, haha

May 27, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #3,230 of 4,363
HD250 is a sealed headphone.
HD540 is an open headphone.

There are similarities in the sound frames but they are quite different and certainly not interchangeable. I disassembled several of both models so I am familiar with the internals.

I also tried a HD540II with unmatched drivers and the sound was still great. I did not experience any audible spatial or level-matching problems.

Jun 4, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #3,231 of 4,363
To anyone that want to restore the back foams/fabric because of yellowing/crumbling, I found out the perfect material.
Search on google: B06WVLG2RV ( Aerzetix 45ppi fan filter )
Wash and dry the original fabric, hand cut ONE filter the same shape of the fabric.
Position back the fabric with the filter over it, close back the capsule, repeat for the other capsule and ENJOY.

Jun 4, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #3,232 of 4,363
To my ears, I always thought HD540II and HD560II sounded almost exactly the same when they had similar headband clamping and similar thickness of earpads. The main difference was the position of the sound; 540 sound image had better placement than the 560II, in my opinion, so was consequently a bit more enjoyable to listen with.
As somebody mentioned recently, it is in great measure due to your enthusiastic appraisal of the HD540 that I got in this game. Lovely, pure, organic. Those are the words that come to mind.

I also got an HD520 (first revision) and they are great cans as well. But the HD540 ref II edge them in some areas (more and better bass, better high frequency response altogether, and more accurate, albeit smaller soundstage). The HD520 are slighly grainier in some registers, but this added to their huge soundstage with the original stock pads (despite whose semi-petrified state I am using) makes them incredibly enjoyable headphones.

I slapped on the "wang" pleather earpads @sennsay recommended and I have to agree they are an excellent match. Bass response went up and soundstage tightened a little bit.

I have no inclination to pursue an upgrade, and I think that is the best compliment you can give a set of headphones.

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #3,233 of 4,363
Looks great, SIRKRA, have looked into the Aussie version. I see the UK site has already run out of stock.

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #3,234 of 4,363
To anyone that want to restore the back foams/fabric because of yellowing/crumbling, I found out the perfect material.
Search on google: B06WVLG2RV ( Aerzetix 45ppi fan filter )
Wash and dry the original fabric, hand cut ONE filter the same shape of the fabric.
Position back the fabric with the filter over it, close back the capsule, repeat for the other capsule and ENJOY.
Thank you for the tip. When I put on the "wang" pads on my headphones I noticed a very minute portion of the grill on the right earcup is open because when the headphones were manufactured at the factory whoever put them together didn't lay the fabric and filter down correctly.

Can you confirm that the material in the back of the capsule has two layers (a black fabric layer facing towards the capsule dome as seen from the outside, and a dull orange foam layer facing the inside)? Is the material you posted the orange filter foam?

Jun 4, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #3,235 of 4,363
Thank you for the tip. When I put on the "wang" pads on my headphones I noticed a very minute portion of the grill on the right earcup is open because when the headphones were manufactured at the factory whoever put them together didn't lay the fabric and filter down correctly.

Can you confirm that the material in the back of the capsule has two layers (a black fabric layer facing towards the capsule dome as seen from the outside, and a dull orange foam layer facing the inside)? Is the material you posted the orange filter foam?
Yeah they are two parts but actually together. (i've seen the same principle in the akg K280 i have, so at the time was a normal thing making this kind of double layer fabric/foam)
If You take the part off and wash it, the orangy foam part will wash away and the fabric part will remain perfectly intact.
I tried with two layers of the fan filter i recommend, but something was off.
The original fabric plus one foam filter ( 2,5mm) , just perfect, same as original or even, a tad better

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #3,236 of 4,363
Yeah they are two parts but actually together. (i've seen the same principle in the akg K280 i have, so at the time was a normal thing making this kind of double layer fabric/foam)
If You take the part off and wash it, the orangy foam part will wash away and the fabric part will remain perfectly intact.
I tried with two layers of the fan filter i recommend, but something was off.
The original fabric plus one foam filter ( 2,5mm) , just perfect, same as original or even, a tad better
I know what you are talking about. It is the same kind of deal as the foam discs in the K240M I bought a few months ago, which had the foam portion disintegrated and converted into a gummy goop. Thank you for your experiments. :slight_smile:

I couldn't find any source for that foam in the US, but I will continue looking.

These "wang" pleather earpads are really good. The slight increase in the bass is enough to make things perfect with more bass-friendly sources. I can even feel that chest physical impact now on the low notes. Listening to Seal's Human Beings now and... wow. Very nice, I didn't know the HD540 had it her to do this. Most importantly, this doesn't bloom into the mids or make the headphones any less balanced. They are not as lean on the bottom end now, that is all. I definitely wouldn't want any more bass, they are perfect (just like they were perfect earlier, just a slightly different taste within the neutral spectrum).

When I dismantled the cups my HD540 I also took off the headband and traced its contour on a piece of paper. I think I will scan it and pass it through a vector program to get a nice template, then I will post it here in case anyone is compelled to do a DIY headband.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #3,237 of 4,363
I know what you are talking about. It is the same kind of deal as the foam discs in the K240M I bought a few months ago, which had the foam portion disintegrated and converted into a gummy goop. Thank you for your experiments. :slight_smile:

I couldn't find any source for that foam in the US, but I will continue looking.

These "wang" pleather earpads are really good. The slight increase in the bass is enough to make things perfect with more bass-friendly sources. I can even feel that chest physical impact now on the low notes. Listening to Seal's Human Beings now and... wow. Very nice, I didn't know the HD540 had it her to do this. Most importantly, this doesn't bloom into the mids or make the headphones any less balanced. They are not as lean on the bottom end now, that is all. I definitely wouldn't want any more bass, they are perfect (just like they were perfect earlier, just a slightly different taste within the neutral spectrum).

When I dismantled the cups my HD540 I also took off the headband and traced its contour on a piece of paper. I think I will scan it and pass it through a vector program to get a nice template, then I will post it here in case anyone is compelled to do a DIY headband.
I don't know if the 240M use the same, but i found the one that goes right even for sextetts and 280.
Sextetts only have the one in the capsule while the 280 has the one in the capsule and the sandwich fabric/filter under the pads too
(posted in the akg gradoed thread), without the foam they don't sound good as with the foam/filter.

I Had a broken 430 and on my 540 ref 2 ( headband got to pieces after I tried to sanify /wash it) so I use the completely headband from those ( i think it was used in the EP of the 540 ) , crazy good how much was interchangeable back in the days!
If You cannot find the one i posted search for a filter/foam with 45ppi densoty and 2 or 2,5mm of thickness

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #3,238 of 4,363
I don't know if the 240M use the same, but i found the one that goes right even for sextetts and 280.
Sextetts only have the one in the capsule while the 280 has the one in the capsule and the sandwich fabric/filter under the pads too
(posted in the akg gradoed thread), without the foam they don't sound good as with the foam/filter.

I Had a broken 430 and on my 540 ref 2 ( headband got to pieces after I tried to sanify /wash it) so I use the completely headband from those ( i think it was used in the EP of the 540 ) , crazy good how much was interchangeable back in the days!
If You cannot find the one i posted search for a filter/foam with 45ppi densoty and 2 or 2,5mm of thickness
Yeah, the Sextetts have that crazy plastic grill instead of the disc foam. Thank you for confirming the foam backing affects the sound. Many people claim that it doesn't, or that the effect is negligible, but I suspected otherwise. I have my K240M laying around, I'm gathering some courage to take them apart. I attempted to open the cups to replace the backing foam (which is disintegrated and falling in little specks) by wedging a knife between the two pieces, but I wasn't successful. Some other folks yet use a spoon to pop the cups up. I suspect I will need to unscrew the back to take them apart more comfortably. The specimen I have is in great shape (minus the foam parts) and I don't want to damage them when I open them if I can help it.

Yeah, the old Sennheiser series from that time (HD520, HD530, HD540, etc have largely interchangeable parts. The soft headbands are not exactly the same, but they are interchangeable because they have the same dimensions). Similarly, the HD535, HD545, HD565, etc have the same earpads as the HD580 and HD600. You have to love the modularity, design consistency, and forethought that Sennheiser used when designing those lines of headphones.

Thank you for the tip on the foam, I am sure I will find something suitable.

Jun 5, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #3,239 of 4,363
It's almost 2:00 AM and I'm listening to my newly padded HD540 Ref II. They sound so good. The soundstage is amazing, very accurate. The HD520 has a pleasing soundstage, but it is exaggerated and unreal. Many times I could hear sounds coming from behind my head, high up, etc. Not so the HD540 with the wang pleather pads, extremely natural and accurate soundstage, very monitor speaker-like.

Another distinction between the HD520 (first revision) and the HD540 Ref II is that the HD540 are much easier to drive, though both have a nominal impedance of 300 ohms. I believe the HD 540 have a sensitivity of 97dB and the HD 520 have a sensitivity of 94dB, though. Surprisingly, I am running the HD540 unamped right now straight from my laptop's headphone out jack and they sound really great. I will try to do some comparisons tomorrow with my O2/ODAC combo, I am sure that in an A/B scenario there will be differences, but without the benefit of such a comparison they sound amazing unamped.

The bass on these with the new pads is really good, not lacking at all. I wouldn't want any more, they would be too bassy then. Right now they are full bodied and natural, just perfect.

One thing with the HD540 is that they are very revealing. I don't like to apply the word "analytical" because to me that denotes some kind of artificial emphasis on the higher frequencies which makes it easy to detect issues there. But they are so transparent that if you have crap sources or poor mixing you will notice immediately. Because music that has been mixed and mastered well sounds so great, when you listen to something that didn't have the benefit of a good engineer you notice immediately. For example, I have always liked Invisible Man (The Breeders), but I just noticed the mix is so flat. It is disappointing in a way. Like seeing a woman that was attractive the night before under the influence of heavy liquor in the full light of day HAHA.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #3,240 of 4,363
I've just managed to get my hands
It's almost 2:00 AM and I'm listening to my newly padded HD540 Ref II. They sound so good. The soundstage is amazing, very accurate. The HD520 has a pleasing soundstage, but it is exaggerated and unreal. Many times I could hear sounds coming from behind my head, high up, etc. Not so the HD540 with the wang pleather pads, extremely natural and accurate soundstage, very monitor speaker-like.

Another distinction between the HD520 (first revision) and the HD540 Ref II is that the HD540 are much easier to drive, though both have a nominal impedance of 300 ohms. I believe the HD 540 have a sensitivity of 97dB and the HD 520 have a sensitivity of 94dB, though. Surprisingly, I am running the HD540 unamped right now straight from my laptop's headphone out jack and they sound really great. I will try to do some comparisons tomorrow with my O2/ODAC combo, I am sure that in an A/B scenario there will be differences, but without the benefit of such a comparison they sound amazing unamped.

The bass on these with the new pads is really good, not lacking at all. I wouldn't want any more, they would be too bassy then. Right now they are full bodied and natural, just perfect.

One thing with the HD540 is that they are very revealing. I don't like to apply the word "analytical" because to me that denotes some kind of artificial emphasis on the higher frequencies which makes it easy to detect issues there. But they are so transparent that if you have crap sources or poor mixing you will notice immediately. Because music that has been mixed and mastered well sounds so great, when you listen to something that didn't have the benefit of a good engineer you notice immediately. For example, I have always liked Invisible Man (The Breeders), but I just noticed the mix is so flat. It is disappointing in a way. Like seeing a woman that was attractive the night before under the influence of heavy liquor in the full light of day HAHA.
I just got an HD540 ref II (german version) yesterday, and like you I started with the HD520 I 300ohm, and the 540 seems a lot easier to drive, and doesn't need to be turned up as high on the volume. Pleasantly surprised that they have even more attack than the 520's, not to mention more clarity. The earpads are almost paper-thin so I have some velour 'wangs' on order, looking forward to hearing differences or improvements on an already impressive presentation!

The headstrap has no cushioning left in it, which makes it very hot to wear... I dont suppose anybody knows if the strap can be opened to insert new foam or something? I can see stitching on the edges, but I'm not sure if its glued together as well. I'm not confident its strong enough to survive such a procedure if it is glued, as it feels quite fragile

Users who are viewing this thread

Back