Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #3,046 of 4,363
From memory
The HD 700 doesn't show the width, height and depth of the scene like the HD 540, nor does the stereo have such a delicate presentation, HD 540 RG is more into music, with more information. But they have one characteristic in common that I like, which is to have air between instruments (HD 589 do not have that level) and have the same soft well-defined bass (which fits well into the whole sound signature). The closest in sound from the headphones I have or have owned are IEM -Campfire Solaris SE (on the iBasso DX 229),sound stage has a lot of air and the music in that space is clear and well visible ,and has a fluid movement. But they do not have such richness and sound size as HD 540RG
P.S. You haven't been in a long time,
I'm glad you joined
You mean I haven't been saying much just recently? If so, just been doing many other things and I had nothing new to add at the time :) A lot of time just listening, tuning my systems, rebuilding an amplifier or two, restoring some vintage gear etc.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #3,047 of 4,363
In fact, the HD 540 RGs are the driving force behind the construction of my current system.
and that is:
-I stream music from Tidal and Spotify, and files via Audirvana
-Dell -Inakustik referentz USB - Pegasus DAC -Wireworld Eclipse 8 Stereo XLR -Bryston BHA 1-Cardas audio clear light - HD 540 RG
-From wall socket> IsoTek EVO 3 Initium - IsoTek EVO3 Gemini < - Goldkabel Supercord Gold MKII in the amplifier
-Audioquest-Z3 in Pegasus

And when I think about the future transition to a higher level, only my headphones are the problem, I want to keep their way of presentation, and for that do not pay 3k or more, (i know my statements are weird, but that's how they sound to me).
And that's why I would like someone to point out my omission to those 3k

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #3,048 of 4,363
I'm still listening to my HD540 Refs 31 years on and in no way have they been replaced by anything else as top of the heap, and while I often really enjoy the HifiMAN HE400S (with Focus A pads and Mogami cable), they are very source dependent. My refurbished HD250 Linear Mk 1s don't come close either. Closest to the sheer musical joy of the Ref1s are actually the Sony MDR-1Rs, also with Mogami cable, full of life, if without quite the timbral qualities ... they beat the HD250s though, any day, being much better balanced.
So, you are actually saying that the 30 year old Sent HD540 Refs are significantly better overall than the HD700s, right? Interesting ... if not that surprising.
I think the development of headphones after the 90s has been moving in the wrong direction, towards profit ,in researching what most people like.
As for the HD 700, I don't find it at all surprising. On a couple of sites, I've read the opinions of reviewers who compared 540 vs HD 800, they choose HD 540. No other headphones in the senn.line has been equated by anyone other than HD 800s. The last post I read, and it refers to the reviewer who compared many headphones, his words are -quote - ,, HD 540 are what the HD 800 would like to be, with the fact that he prefers the HD 540 ref. over HD 540 RG
They are the product of inspired researchers in another time, a time when other legendary headphones were created: AKG K 1000, Sony MDR - R 10 ....

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #3,049 of 4,363
I think the development of headphones after the 90s has been moving in the wrong direction, towards profit ,in researching what most people like.
As for the HD 700, I don't find it at all surprising. On a couple of sites, I've read the opinions of reviewers who compared 540 vs HD 800, they choose HD 540. No other headphones in the senn.line has been equated by anyone other than HD 800s. The last post I read, and it refers to the reviewer who compared many headphones, his words are -quote - ,, HD 540 are what the HD 800 would like to be, with the fact that he prefers the HD 540 ref. over HD 540 RG
They are the product of inspired researchers in another time, a time when other legendary headphones were created: AKG K 1000, Sony MDR - R 10 ....
I can understand those reviewer's comments for the most part, my only qualification in that is I have not heard the HD800s. I have heard some highly regarded Focals and one or two others of that ilk, but came away unimpressed. The HD6xx and HD650's just didn't do it either, despite any slight increase in detail they couldn't do it as a wholistic unit, something the HD540 Refs do so effortlessly. Quite simply, the Ref 1s sound like organic and alive music, many of the rest are variations of hifi, whether they are detail retrieval freaks or not. Natural detail is just a part of the music and doesn't require any enhancement ... unless one gets off on that sort of thing and I'll admit that occasionally for a short time it can be fun, I've had electronics like that too, not any more. Interestingly, my main lounge music system has many similarities to the Head-fi system(s), the Ref 1 equivalent there being the fabulous 52 year old Sansui SP300 speakers, horn mid and tweeters with a very highly electrically damped 12" bass unit per cabinet that weigh 36kg each. These horn loaded drivers are not like the ones you see from Avant Guarde etc, at 106dB efficiency (and even if the specs from the manufacturer were 3-4dB over actual efficiency, they are still incredible) they are stunningly alive and organically present without shouting and edginess. They are driven from a homebuilt 50W design that has simple circuitry (no, it's not a chip amp) and has had some tuning work done by me in recent days, sounds fantastic. Like the Ref 1s.

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #3,050 of 4,363
I want to add something else
These headphones were discontinued many years ago. Since then, many have treated them with disrespect. Now, after so many years, many have pulled them out of various home warehouses and performed cosmetic interventions on them, and put them up for sale. Many of these headphones are completely authentic sound, and many are flawed. Buying blindly is a lottery, but whoever buys authentic ones will be rewarded with headphones that are hard to find equal in modern headphones.
Made of plastic ,on the head they feel light as paper, and they emit a sound as if someone from the future brought drivers and planted them in them. A really great tool for listening to music.

Really ,, Back to the future ,,

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #3,051 of 4,363
I can understand those reviewer's comments for the most part, my only qualification in that is I have not heard the HD800s. I have heard some highly regarded Focals and one or two others of that ilk, but came away unimpressed. The HD6xx and HD650's just didn't do it either, despite any slight increase in detail they couldn't do it as a wholistic unit, something the HD540 Refs do so effortlessly. Quite simply, the Ref 1s sound like organic and alive music, many of the rest are variations of hifi, whether they are detail retrieval freaks or not. Natural detail is just a part of the music and doesn't require any enhancement ... unless one gets off on that sort of thing and I'll admit that occasionally for a short time it can be fun, I've had electronics like that too, not any more. Interestingly, my main lounge music system has many similarities to the Head-fi system(s), the Ref 1 equivalent there being the fabulous 52 year old Sansui SP300 speakers, horn mid and tweeters with a very highly electrically damped 12" bass unit per cabinet that weigh 36kg each. These horn loaded drivers are not like the ones you see from Avant Guarde etc, at 106dB efficiency (and even if the specs from the manufacturer were 3-4dB over actual efficiency, they are still incredible) they are stunningly alive and organically present without shouting and edginess. They are driven from a homebuilt 50W design that has simple circuitry (no, it's not a chip amp) and has had some tuning work done by me in recent days, sounds fantastic. Like the Ref 1s.
Sansui products have always had a high quality seal

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #3,052 of 4,363
I want to add something else
These headphones were discontinued many years ago. Since then, many have treated them with disrespect. Now, after so many years, many have pulled them out of various home warehouses and performed cosmetic interventions on them, and put them up for sale. Many of these headphones are completely authentic sound, and many are flawed. Buying blindly is a lottery, but whoever buys authentic ones will be rewarded with headphones that are hard to find equal in modern headphones.
Made of plastic ,on the head they feel light as paper, and they emit a sound as if someone from the future brought drivers and planted them in them. A really great tool for listening to music.

Really ,, Back to the future ,,
Couldn't have put it better myself. I briefly heard a pair of Focal Elears yesterday, run balanced from an upgraded Fiio X7i, they were very good, very fine focus and detail, a little emotionally distant from the very brief listening time, much heavier than the HD540s, though comfy enough once settled on the noggin. Superbly focused soundstage. Would I trade the HD540s for them? No. As you say, T 1000, the Senns vanish on the head, I just dissolve into the music. I would like to hear the Focal Clear model with my OWN gear, as an addition to my systems, not to replace the HD540s.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #3,053 of 4,363
Couldn't have put it better myself. I briefly heard a pair of Focal Elears yesterday, run balanced from an upgraded Fiio X7i, they were very good, very fine focus and detail, a little emotionally distant from the very brief listening time, much heavier than the HD540s, though comfy enough once settled on the noggin. Superbly focused soundstage. Would I trade the HD540s for them? No. As you say, T 1000, the Senns vanish on the head, I just dissolve into the music. I would like to hear the Focal Clear model with my OWN gear, as an addition to my systems, not to replace the HD540s.
Really good, many who have had the opportunity to compare, including experts in the audio industry, consider them better than Clear

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #3,054 of 4,363
Sansui products have always had a high quality seal
These ones certainly deserve that, they were SOTA (State Of The Art) from Sansui back in 1968 and I would still love to shake the hands of the design team for the drivers, for such big boxes, the out of box projection of clarity and life, pace, rhythm and timing is fabulous, though the system is well 'tuned'. Like the HD540s.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #3,055 of 4,363
Really good, many who have had the opportunity to compare, including experts in the audio industry, consider them better than Clear
You mean the HD540 or the Focal Elear? I might add that the Elears I heard had superb clarity but as a system with the Fiio X7i lacked the sheer body and weight I am used to with the HD540/Schiit Mimby/Magni 3 combo.

Dec 22, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #3,057 of 4,363
I would love to hear your impressions of Elear, if you connect them to your equipment

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #3,058 of 4,363
I would love to hear your impressions of Elear, if you connect them to your equipment
Sure, if I can get them away from their new owner! They will still be running in now, they ought to be nice and loose by the time I get to hear them :) Making sure he brings me the unbalanced cable ... although I might be able to use the Mogami cable I made for the HE400S, they use a similar sized capsule jack.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #3,059 of 4,363
Sure, if I can get them away from their new owner! They will still be running in now, they ought to be nice and loose by the time I get to hear them :) Making sure he brings me the unbalanced cable ... although I might be able to use the Mogami cable I made for the HE400S, they use a similar sized capsule jack.
Soo, it seems the QC of Focal weren't up to scratch on this pair of Elear, the left channel has dropped out shortly after new. Back to the shop under warranty. Interestingly, he prefers his Phillips Fidellio 2's with the Denon CD player I cleaned up and serviced for him.

Dec 28, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #3,060 of 4,363
Soo, it seems the QC of Focal weren't up to scratch on this pair of Elear, the left channel has dropped out shortly after new. Back to the shop under warranty. Interestingly, he prefers his Phillips Fidellio 2's with the Denon CD player I cleaned up and serviced for him.
Philips fidelio X 2 are great headphones but I prefer X 1.
When I bought the X 1 , I gave the HD 598 to a friend
Too bad for Elear

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back