Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
Apr 5, 2014 at 4:22 AM Post #227 of 4,363
Thanks for the impressions, aulait. So I'm assuming the HD 530 II have a larger bass hump around 100 Hz (= lacking speed) and potentially less energy somewhere in the treble (= lacking air). To fix these, one could either use an EQ, which is the easier/preferred method, or - depending on how the II version is constructed - one could convert the headphones to a fully open-backed design by removing the cups, which reduces the upper bass bloat by a couple dB and so increases the perceived speed. On the other hand, removing the cups ought to reduce the treble by one or two dB as well, and if the HD 530 II already lack some treble, this might not be desired.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #228 of 4,363

Queue ... and it's not the end 
o2smile.gif

Great picture!

You know what else I really like a lot about these headphones? The headband sliding mechanism. So beautifully simple and yet so effective. As much as I dislike the word perfect, it's just perfect.
Have been listening to the 540 Ref II this morning and not sure yet if it trumps the 540 Ref I (600). Pretty close. More listening to do.

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #229 of 4,363
I am currently pursuing an idea to convert my HD540 Reference II headphone into earspeakers. By building a custom headband for my HD540II driver capsules, I can suspend them just in front of my ears, slightly toed out to give an even more spatial music experience resembling that of speakers and with the full frequency response that the HD540II already provides. I have some foam I can use as padding and some Meccano that I can use to experiment with headband designs.

Apr 8, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #230 of 4,363
  I am currently pursuing an idea to convert my HD540 Reference II headphone into earspeakers. By building a custom headband for my HD540II driver capsules, I can suspend them just in front of my ears, slightly toed out to give an even more spatial music experience resembling that of speakers and with the full frequency response that the HD540II already provides. I have some foam I can use as padding and some Meccano that I can use to experiment with headband designs.

The frequency response of the HD540 II relies just as much on the enclosure and pads as the drivers; I would imagine that doing what you are trying to do would probably reduce the bass significantly, especially if you are putting them farther away.

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #231 of 4,363
Have been listening to the Ref II some more and I think I hear that the Ref I cable (old style plug) sounds a little warmer than the Ref II (''replacement'') cable. Am I fantasizing or does anyone share that observation?

Edit: If anyone likes to trade his 540 Ref I (300 ohm) for my 600 ohm send me PM.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #232 of 4,363
Am I alone in thinking that things have not progressed much.

I enjoy listening through my Monitor Audio Gold reference 60 speakers but having moved into a small house with attached neighbours I decided it was time to get some headphones. I auditioned the best i could afford - Grado, Sennheiser, AKG (all around £100 - £150, I was impressed by them all but then I remembered I had some old headphones, almost totally unused somewhere in a box! I bought my HD 565 Ovation decades ago (they were cheap because the hifi shop manager had them given to him by the dealer to return a favour so the money was straight in his back pocket!)

Anyway I found my old headphone amp (QED maybe I should get better?)  and figured out how to plug it all in and I was stunned. They seemed just as good as the ones I had auditioned. I know that time had passed since auditioning the others but even taking that into account I was so pleased with the sound and as comfy as not wearing them! Except for rather warm ears.

Anyway i am really not surprised you love your old HD 540s, I don't know them myself but see no reason why they should not sound good. You mention "sounds much more life like then many (much more expensive) new high models". If that is true then isn't this what it is all about - we listen to music not waves and stuff - if music sounds good then that is all that matters. Good for you in saying so, you may save a few people a few £££s in pointless upgrades. I am certainly going with my HD656 for a while anyway.

You mentioned a valve amp. I need a better amp and I love the sound the valve gives my CD player - can you recomment a modestly priced one or is a solid state one as good - any help appreciated.

Apr 8, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #233 of 4,363
  Am I alone in thinking that things have not progressed much.

Sennheiser had wonderful balance (physically and sonically) with these late 80's/early 90's headphones. I just acquired an HD250 Linear in perfect condition. I am replacing the pads with new ones as the originals have lost their flex. I like these even better than my HD540 Reference.

Apr 9, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #236 of 4,363
I have two 300 Ohm HD540 Reference I headphones and I would like to hear a 600 Ohm HD540I, to see if it is any better. So I'd be happy to do a trade if your HD540I is in good condition. Both of mine have new HD560 pads and inner foam, are clean and I can send either a copper cable or a steel cable with it.

Alternatively, if anyone here would like to trade or sell a HD540 Reference II (in good condition), I'm certainly interested.

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #237 of 4,363
I really don't get why my HD 540 Ref I 600 ohms sounds -- to my ears -- so much better than Ref II (and both Ovation I / Ovation II).
Soundstage, imaging, separation/articulation and speed are night and day.
The soundstage of my 540-600 is as impressive as my AKG 701 (while my Ref II sounds almost like a Grado).
Why do you guys are all praising the Ref II so much?!
Either my HD 540 Ref II is a lemon or I really need an ear doctor
biggrin.gif
Should I buy/try another Ref II. I'm really hesitating. Haha...

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #239 of 4,363
  I have two 300 Ohm HD540 Reference I headphones and I would like to hear a 600 Ohm HD540I, to see if it is any better. So I'd be happy to do a trade if your HD540I is in good condition. Both of mine have new HD560 pads and inner foam, are clean and I can send either a copper cable or a steel cable with it.

Let's do this. PM'ed

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #240 of 4,363
  I really don't get why my HD 540 Ref I 600 ohms sounds -- to my ears -- so much better than Ref II (and both Ovation I / Ovation II).
Soundstage, imaging, separation/articulation and speed are night and day.
The soundstage of my 540-600 is as impressive as my AKG 701 (while my Ref II sounds almost like a Grado).
Why do you guys are all praising the Ref II so much?!
Either my HD 540 Ref II is a lemon or I really need an ear doctor
biggrin.gif
Should I buy/try another Ref II. I'm really hesitating. Haha...

What I've found up until now is that Ref II is noticeably brighter. Not just that, it's also of a higher resolution so to speak. Better at details so technically better in my opinion. Ref I sounds a bit muddy when comparing back to back but has a little more ''fun'' to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back