Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good.
May 10, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #2,086 of 4,363
Discoveries. Stock HD430s as supplied; forward, fairly detailed, very clear, focused, no real bass, lacking in communicative warmth. Add Mogami cable, a little smoother, a touch more bass extension, but still mid forward, nowhere near as relaxing as the Ref1s. Swap out pads, add orhpolsters with the inner foams from the Ref1s, much better! Now we're talking a lesser version of the Ref1s, like a good stand mount speaker compared to a much higher spec floor stander in the same range. There's only so low the HD430s will go and that's that and while the mid bass is much better, it's easy to hear the lower bass just roll off and when pushing them any further I can hear them protest.
So, plan B ... which was pretty much plan A from the get go, use the headband for the HD250s, they're a perfect match. I now also have brand new pleather pads, a perfect original cable AND I have a new set of plastic pad rings! Excellent, a seemingly expensive way to buy spare parts, but much easier than buying them all separately.
Play time again with the HD250s.
Another bonus is that the new 430 pads clip straight into the Ref1s and sound pretty good too. I didn't use my usual foam inners this time as the 430 pads have a mesh backing. However, I will cut that out, as it will not work like that with the HD250s anyway.

May 10, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #2,087 of 4,363
Eureka! By jove, I do believe I've done it chaps! Success with the HD250s at last :) It was worth the wait for the 430s, I now have a headband for the HD250s and holy moly, if the 430s pads (less the mesh) aren't the best match for the Linear's yet! Clip right on in there, the HD400 foams in place (carefully centred), Mogami cable attached and damn we have action! And what a choice action it is, the mids and treble sound seamless and open, the bass is taut, dynamic and punchy without boominess and extends deeply and cleanly. Brilliant! Now they sound like closed back Ref1s! A touch of 'plum' in the mid bass, yes, yet it doesn't detract from detail, depth (the kick drum on Neil Young's Sleeps With Angels is a taut and weighty crack at the back of the soundstage, just as it should be, complete with the ambient space around it) and the rhythmic swagger that is common to both the HD250s (now!) and the Ref1s. The way the bass guitar plummets to the lowest notes on the fabulous Larry Carlton/Robin Forde album 'Live In Tokyo', specifically the 2nd track 'Burnable' is knockout and easily as good as the Ref1s. That's deeep! Terrific pace and timing to boot. No treble spikes, no edge - so far - no sibilance, just even and dare I say it, linear, all the way up. Excellent vocals. Giorgio Moroder's voice has just a little extra richness than with the Ref1s (Daft Punk's R.A.M), but otherwise no excess thickness to slow down the already weighty bottom end of this album. So far, just brilliant. Tried the HD6xx cable, meh. Thins the whole sound and loses soundstage width to boot - just as it does with the other headphones, including the HD6xx! Tried the new/old style cable that came with the HD430s, very meh! Like the HD6xx cable yet more so. Back to the Mogami and it was night and day, no exaggeration. It's not subtle with these cans! My task over the next couple of days is to make a new set of Mogami cable specifically for the HD250s, instead of swapping the one set I currently have between three sets of headphones.
The HD430 capsules have been packed away for now. They are simply far too mid and treble centric for me to spend much time with. Probably a good candidate for a set of Brainwavz HM5s if there is a round version, they certainly don't work for me on the HD6xx (far too much bass and recessed mids and treble), it's exactly the opposite issue as with the HD430s, so maybe a future project.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #2,088 of 4,363
So I've recieved the HD 540 yesterday (with the stock cable and round pads), and listened a few hours through them, also gamed with them a bit.

My Dolby Headphone device didn't have enough power to drive them correctly I felt, so in that department my Sennheiser HD 579 did better with the imaging. The HD 540 did have a slightly wider soundstage though, but not as 3D as the HD 579 (again, only powered by a Turtle Beach DSS Dolby Headphone device, so I don't know how they'll compare when the HD 540 is properly amped with Dolby Headphone)

Initial impressions are a bit like I expected from reading here; neutral sound, bit edgy, rolled off sub-bass, fairly natural timbre and clear. Clarity is very recording dependent I've noticed, more so than the Beyerdynamic DT 250 I had, which was labeled as a studio headphone.

I already ordered the Mogami cable and pleather pads as recommended by sennsay, see how they'll sound with them.

The fit and comfort is actually fantastic, but I highly dislike the length of the stock cable (which is also fixed by the Mogami cable I ordered)

These are the earpads they came with (photo is not mine)
sennheiser-hd-540-reference-gold-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-ii-84672-3.jpg

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #2,089 of 4,363
So I've recieved the HD 540 yesterday (with the stock cable and round pads), and listened a few hours through them, also gamed with them a bit.

My Dolby Headphone device didn't have enough power to drive them correctly I felt, so in that department my Sennheiser HD 579 did better with the imaging. The HD 540 did have a slightly wider soundstage though, but not as 3D as the HD 579 (again, only powered by a Turtle Beach DSS Dolby Headphone device, so I don't know how they'll compare when the HD 540 is properly amped with Dolby Headphone)

Initial impressions are a bit like I expected from reading here; neutral sound, bit edgy, rolled off sub-bass, fairly natural timbre and clear. Clarity is very recording dependent I've noticed, more so than the Beyerdynamic DT 250 I had, which was labeled as a studio headphone.

I already ordered the Mogami cable and pleather pads as recommended by sennsay, see how they'll sound with them.

The fit and comfort is actually fantastic, but I highly dislike the length of the stock cable (which is also fixed by the Mogami cable I ordered)

These are the earpads they came with (photo is not mine)
sennheiser-hd-540-reference-gold-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-ii-84672-3.jpg
Interesting, those pads look pretty good, actually. I'll just bet they are comfy. When your new pleather pads come, you can try the thick foams that come with them, but you might find they are too deadening and prefer to leave the ones in that you have there. Trial and error. Also, the Mogami cable will likely make the biggest difference, especially compared to the old stock cable you have there, which tends to thin the sound and have the very sound sig you have described. If your cable comes first, that will allow you to live with the extended bandwidth and the nice pads you have there. My experiences (again) with the old stock cable were described last night re the HD430s. Happy revelations! :)
PS Of course, you have the Ref Golds there and I have the Ref1s, 300 ohms v 600 ohms, which may have a slightly different sig. Nice cans!

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #2,090 of 4,363
Interesting, those pads look pretty good, actually. I'll just bet they are comfy. When your new pleather pads come, you can try the thick foams that come with them, but you might find they are too deadening and prefer to leave the ones in that you have there. Trial and error. Also, the Mogami cable will likely make the biggest difference, especially compared to the old stock cable you have there, which tends to thin the sound and have the very sound sig you have described. If your cable comes first, that will allow you to live with the extended bandwidth and the nice pads you have there. My experiences (again) with the old stock cable were described last night re the HD430s. Happy revelations! :)
PS Of course, you have the Ref Golds there and I have the Ref1s, 300 ohms v 600 ohms, which may have a slightly different sig. Nice cans!
Hey, no the photo is not mine, I have those Ref 1's from the Polish guy on ebay, I showed you.

That picture or Ref Gold headphone is not mine, just the pads are the same.

I forgot to say that I also ordered those DT 880 pads for the thinner felt, just to be complete!

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #2,091 of 4,363
Hey, no the photo is not mine, I have those Ref 1's from the Polish guy on ebay, I showed you.

That picture or Ref Gold headphone is not mine, just the pads are the same.

I forgot to say that I also ordered those DT 880 pads for the thinner felt, just to be complete!
Awesome, I'm with the programme now :) Still, nice pads, wonder where they came from and who made them?

May 10, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #2,092 of 4,363
Where can we order the pads and mogami cables from?

May 10, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #2,093 of 4,363
May 11, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #2,094 of 4,363

Thank you. Yes I meant about The pleather ones..

May 11, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #2,095 of 4,363

Translated it into English - I'll check with a Chinese friend about no. 9 ! :)

I'll update the image later but no.9 = pure silk diaphragm damper
:)

May 11, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #2,096 of 4,363
Here we go - updated & in better quality - Its actually Japanese!

HD 250 Linear_II_english-v2PNG.png

May 13, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #2,097 of 4,363
What portable dac/AMP combo sounds great with this headphone?

I honestly have the feeling they sound better straight out of my laptop jack, than the Geek Out 450.. Is that maybe because the laptops headphone jack has a way higher output impedance?

May 13, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #2,098 of 4,363
guys i am looking to buy a vintage Sennheiser and
my choice for now is the 424 because I've read somewhere it is brighter and have more bass with fuller mids than the 540 ,
is that true ?

May 13, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #2,099 of 4,363
guys i am looking to buy a vintage Sennheiser and
my choice for now is the 424 because I've read somewhere it is brighter and have more bass with fuller mids than the 540 ,
is that true ?

The hd 540 is THE vintage headphone. If you want to buy a very good headphone and not spend much then I think you will be happy with it, although a good amp will help
Ive had a few others from around the same period such as HD400, HD414 - They all have similar sounds. Essentially smooth and often quite equal across all frequencies
although in a sense I feel anything special is kind of held back - there is no crystal clear highs, no thunderous bass and the mids are really nice
They all are really nice easy to listen to headphones that Im happy to have in my collection
Compared to the HD540 though . . . they are good
but the HD540 are spectacular. One of the best reference headphones ever made. Myself and others actually prefer them to the modern HD800S
They have a natural, human quality that is sadly lacking in modern headphones. They make the music sound like how is was played.

Anyway, it may well be as you say BUT bear in mind the brightness, more bass and fuller mids will in no way be 'better' than the HD540's
They are still are a really good headphone and in many ways outperform modern headphones. In some cases, maybe not technically but listenaly
Go for it :)
Ps: Its difficult to say if your statement is true because it depends very much on your source and amp and the condition / suitability of the pads.
I have certain combinations of high end headphone and amp that sound 'meh'..ok BUT then using a cheaper mp3 player with a cheaper amp
and they sound spectacular...o_0
Just something to bear in mind

May 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #2,100 of 4,363
What portable dac/AMP combo sounds great with this headphone?

I honestly have the feeling they sound better straight out of my laptop jack, than the Geek Out 450.. Is that maybe because the laptops headphone jack has a way higher output impedance?

There is one that ticks probably more than any other - the Littledot 1+ - headfi reviews here

1, its very good value for money - around $120
2, it is a hybrid - solid state AND 2x tube amp
3, The solid state part of the amp sounds very very good
4, There are loads of vintage tubes you can buy all of which alter the sound
5, the added tube warmth/clarity goes perfectly with ALL my vintage headphones
6, you can swop out and upgrade the DAC chip
7, more than powerful enough for even hard to drive cans

There are a multitude of others but none I can think off with this level of customization and with such an amazing price to performance ratio
I very much doubt the Geek Out or your laptop will even come close to showing you how good the 540's are!
I think, in that they sound as good as they are is a testament to the quality of the headphone rather than your hardware..which is still good :)

There is a handful of genuinely great headphone amps out there...but none as many as you might think. Sadly, often empty vessels make the most noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back