wow power strip killed sound quality!
Dec 14, 2005 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MikeW

Headphoneus Supremus
Heh, I have a Belkin power strip that has minor power filtering on it, and I have been using it for a week with no problems, 2 days ago I grounded my outlet though (the hard way lol, stuck an 8 foot copper pole in the ground and drilled a ground line thru wall) and my amp dident sound right since, I wasent sure it was worse but it just dident sound right. Well apparantly the "power filtering" features of my strip where not doing anything on an ungrounded outlet, as soon as it became grounded the strip choked the heck outta my sound. I just plugged it straight into the wall a few minutes ago and was like Ah-ha! it sounded almost compressed or veiled. I was getting worried that it was damaged or somthing when I couldent figure out What was going on hehe. I actually bought a Monster Power HTS800 yesterday and was using that for a day and it did not have that crappy compressed veiled sound to it, I took it back to radio shack though when I found a much better one for 20 bucks less online.. (PC1000). That's when I came back home and plugged it back into the strip, took me forever to figure it out cause I had been using the strip for a week with no probs. Only after the strip was grounded did it muck up the sound. So it's true what they say about cheapo power strips they can screw up your sound, im starting to beleive in this power and cable business. I wonder if I should get an upgraded cable for my Desktop Power Supply, I think it uses a regular 3 pin plug that you find on many electronics and computer power supplies, hey someone point me in the direction of aftermarket ones like that.

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:15 AM Post #2 of 17
I use a monster mk2000, and it slight mutes the sound dynamics on my audio components. This was back before I used headphones and stuck with home theater.

I learned to live with itm since its all Ive got. Maybe I should get one that doesnt condition but just acts as a multiple outlet?

The I have has 12 outlets and which is not enough for all the plugs I have.

Though upgrading my surge protector is low on my list at the moment.

Dec 14, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 17
at that price you might as well look into PS audio power cords.

their prettier and fancier too
smily_headphones1.gif

though ps audio grinds ferrite powder into the sleeving of their cables, not sure how it effects overall performance. Some like the ferrites some dont.

dude you are seriously going through some major upgraditus. first you started with the beyers, now youve gotten a tube amp and seperate power supply, now looking at $100 power cables.

thats a pretty large jump in such a short time. You might want to think twice about upgrading so quickly, if you feel a financial burden already.

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 17
I've read not so great thing's about PS audio Xstream, markl hated his. I will probably go with iron lung jellyfish or vorlex, not sure which one yet. I think the iron lung has better connectors

Dec 14, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 17
I'm glad you like the PC1000, after I got that MonsterPower, I haven't looked back.

Dec 15, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
I've read not so great thing's about PS audio Xstream, markl hated his. I will probably go with iron lung jellyfish or vorlex, not sure which one yet. I think the iron lung has better connectors

okie dokie,

Ive read that too, but you have to consider that system synergy and his ears are different.

Dec 15, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 17
I actually havent recieved my PC1000 yet Jahn, it comes on friday. But it's quite abit better then the HT800 I had, technically, and 20$ cheaper then Radio Shack + Uncle sam. Taking the HT800 back was a no brainer once I saw how cheap that unit was, got it from buy.com. Hehe yah RnB i have spent a ton of money lately and i been upgrading alot, i just want to get this system put together so I can be done with it, you forget that I also bought a DAC and Monster line conditioner too
smily_headphones1.gif
The Jellyfish are only 50 bucks for a pair though so it's not all that much. I'd like more opinions of them though.

Dec 15, 2005 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 17
In this hobby you are never done, be careful
smily_headphones1.gif

I maxed out my portable rig and guess what? 3 months later Im looking a home amplfiers and dacs to take along with me and plug them in at the coffee shop. You might think Im insane, I was actually contemplating use a balanced home amp as my on the go amplifier. but thats mostly day dreaming, I cant afford that.

in regards to headphones, I have the 580 and 600 senns, but I needed to complete the set sooo... 650s are coming in shortly. I will have all three of senns current flagship line, all recabled and eventually all woodied. wondering how the 650s sound was just too much. the thing is my 580s and my 600s sound totally different and both have totally different sound stage imaging, 580s are bassier and closed in with sound stage, the 600s are distant and open soundstage. this means, I wouldnt be able to sell either off, since both have such a different yet, appealing sonic signature.

its viscous.

Dec 15, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
dude you are seriously going through some major upgraditus. first you started with the beyers, now youve gotten a tube amp and seperate power supply, now looking at $100 power cables.

thats a pretty large jump in such a short time. You might want to think twice about upgrading so quickly, if you feel a financial burden already.

Ha! you are one to talk
wink.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
I use a monster mk2000

Hey, which unit is this exactly? AFAIK there is no Monster Power unit that is labeled "mk2000". Do you mean HTS2000 MKII?

I just got the Monster PB1100 that markl recommends and I'm wondering if it is muting the sound dynamics on my setup, too. So far I cannot tell a difference. I'm thinking maybe the power in my home wasn't so bad to begin with, but it's a cool looking surge protector with neato lights.
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #13 of 17
Regarding upgraditis, RnB's comments on the headphones make a good point. He claimed the Senn's sounded different, not necessarily (or exclusively) better. Before spending $, remember to ask yourself if you are buying better, or different? You might have a different budget for "different" than for "better".

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Hey, which unit is this exactly? AFAIK there is no Monster Power unit that is labeled "mk2000". Do you mean HTS2000 MKII?

I just got the Monster PB1100 that markl recommends and I'm wondering if it is muting the sound dynamics on my setup, too. So far I cannot tell a difference. I'm thinking maybe the power in my home wasn't so bad to begin with, but it's a cool looking surge protector with neato lights.
biggrin.gif

yea thats the one!

Dec 16, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

I just got the Monster PB1100 that markl recommends and I'm wondering if it is muting the sound dynamics on my setup, too. So far I cannot tell a difference.

If you can't tell a difference then it's doing its job effectively. Like I said, that unit is good because it does nothing to the sound (at least in my house), compared to some other conditioners (including higher-end Monsters with more filtration), that do choke it. As I said, to me, the PB1100 is best viewed as cheap insurance for expensive gear as a surge supprerssor than as a power conditioner. If one wants to treat the power, IMO, one is better off with (much more expensive) power regenerators than with power conditioners.

BTW, the PB1100 has upgraded, 2nd-generation design over the older HTS2000 units, supposed to be better, but who knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back