Wow, Polly Jean Harvey!
Oct 23, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Davey, stories is one of my favorite cds. I think I remember reading somewhere (wish i could think where) that it was deliberately mixed that way to give it a claustrophobic and contained feel.

I know it's the order of the day now to mix cd's that way, but i think she has enough artistic clout to have a say in it.

Could be, I know they wanted a rougher edge on the last one. But I don't think that what they hear in the studio when making those decisions is what ultimately winds up on our CDs, regardless of her clout. Look at what happens to nearly all of the CDs from the major label "stars". You'd think a mega seller like Springsteen would have enough artistic clout to get his CD mixed and mastered right, wouldn't you? But listen to the results. In any case, I'd be surprised if most of them really listen to the CD after it finally comes out.

That's why I was really surprised at this one. It sounds great, mastered a a much lower volume than most. I know she spent a lot of time on it, so maybe that's why. I hope it was her artistic sense that got it done right. It just wouldn't have been the same experience as a typical brickwall job.

Quote:

I think White Chalk is terrific especially on phones and lyrically it does hark back in some ways to Dry.

Yea, I'll always love Dry, but she's a much better lyricist now. Love the ending of White Chalk, "Scratch my palms, there's blood on my hands". Amazing imagery in just a few lines, "Dorset's cliffs meet at the sea, where I walked, our unborn child in me". I really love it, but can't see it appealing to a very wide audience. You're right though, it lives for a good set of phones. Those reverb trails are nice. Gives it kind of a ghostly sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back