Wow! old PCDP's do sound better!
Nov 7, 2004 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

apnk

Headphoneus Supremus
Last year i gave my little brother my old Philips PCDP that was about five years old and i bought myself a Sony D-NE510 mp3/atrac player(i didnt know anything about good sound). In July I bought a Dell DJ and never used my sony PCDP. Last week i grabbed it off the self and listened to it and i couldn't stand it for more than five seconds, it was so muddy. Without the bass boost it was "Tiny,and weak" sounding, with bass boost, **** i'm swimming in mud! it should be called distortion boost! SO today i was curious and grabbed my old cd player and listened to A Perfect Circle. WOW! I was amazed how clear it sounded! I want my Philips BACK!

My old Philips is only five years old and i wonder how a 10 year old PCDP sounds like?
rs1smile.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
My old Philips is only five years old and i wonder how a 10 year old PCDP counds like?
rs1smile.gif

A lot of the time, a fair bit better
biggrin.gif

If you like Philips over Sony, hunt down a nice cheap AZ6832 off of ebay... imo great sounding
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 12
Vintage is good stuff if you're willing to compromise. I miss my D-211 . . .

Nov 7, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 12
Too bad the D-NE510 is not one of Sony's better-sounding modern PCDPs. It may have more in common with the crappy-sounding 2001 and 2002 model Sonys, with seriously rolled-off highs and weak and muddy overall sound.

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Last year i gave my little brother my old Philips PCDP that was about five years old and i bought myself a Sony D-NE510 mp3/atrac player(i didnt know anything about good sound). In July I bought a Dell DJ and never used my sony PCDP. Last week i grabbed it off the self and listened to it and i couldn't stand it for more than five seconds, it was so muddy. Without the bass boost it was "Tiny,and weak" sounding, with bass boost, **** i'm swimming in mud! it should be called distortion boost! SO today i was curious and grabbed my old cd player and listened to A Perfect Circle. WOW! I was amazed how clear it sounded! I want my Philips BACK!

My old Philips is only five years old and i wonder how a 10 year old PCDP counds like?
rs1smile.gif

So how does the Dell DJ sound in comparason to the Sony and Phillips?

Nov 7, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by st5150
So how does the Dell DJ sound in comparason to the Sony and Phillips?

The Dj sounds very "clear", it has decent bass and good mids and highs. The Philips sounds like the DJ, but with a little more "tight" bass, it does not over power everything else everything else like my POS d-ne510.

Nov 8, 2004 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 12
I own a Sony D-33 personally, which is pretty old-school, and it's great. Got it for less than 20 dollars off eBay last year.

The Sony D-311 is considered by many to be one of the best-sounding PCDPs. Good luck finding one, though...

Nov 8, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

My old Philips is only five years old and i wonder how a 10 year old PCDP sounds like?
rs1smile.gif

They sound great. I found a 5 year old Phillips PCDP and a 10 year old Koss PCDP at my grandpa's house and the Koss is so good it may just replace my Toshiba in my dedicated source rig (he let me keep both PCDPs because he never uses them). The Phillips is decent, slightly better than my GPX, but I wouldn't call it anything special (like the Koss).

Nov 8, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

The Dj sounds very "clear", it has decent bass and good mids and highs. The Philips sounds like the DJ, but with a little more "tight" bass, it does not over power everything else everything else like my POS d-ne510.

Thanks for your input. How does the DJ's EQ take or add to the bass and treble? 100Hz and 12KHz sound like pretty crappy bands to have for the highs and lows.

Nov 8, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by st5150
Thanks for your input. How does the DJ's EQ take or add to the bass and treble? 100Hz and 12KHz sound like pretty crappy bands to have for the highs and lows.

Yeah the EQ is not the best, i dont use it, but it does add some highs and lows. Thats about it, it really does not add to the mids, well it does but i thinks it sounds bad.

Nov 8, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Yup, vintage PCDPs do definitely sound better than the ones that are currently available. As it was mentioned earlier, not all vintage PCDPs have killer sounds. Some of them do sound like crap and couldn't match up to any of the current offerings. The D-311 is definitely a accurate and detailed PCDP, it's hard to find but not all that rare. The best vintage PCDP that I've ever had the opportunity to listen to and own is the Denon DCP-150. The DCP-150 on the other hand is definitely rare and doesn't show up too often on Ebay. Chances are you'll run into D-311 for sale more often on Ebay than you would for the DCP-150. I've yet to hear any other PCDPs vintage or new that can match it's accuracy and level of detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back