Wow! Nikon ends film cameras & MF lenses, Minolta out of cameras forever
Jan 20, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris
Much as i love shooting with my Nikon F3hp + MF 85mm f1.4 the convinience and level of control I have with shooting my Canon 20D + EF85mm f1.8 easily tip the scale.

I really liked that camera.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric343
Now, 6MP isn't a lot. New cameras are in the 30+ range... though you'll pay lots of money for them.

Does anyone know the digital/megapixel size equivalents of the different film formats. I've never gotten a satisfactory answer to this.
I took a guess that 12 megapixels = 35mm but don't know how far off I am.

Jan 20, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #32 of 37
i've heard as low as 5mp, but almost everyone says 10

Jan 21, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #33 of 37
Well, IMHO whoever said "5MP" is absolutely clueless. That's probably the equivalent of 200 ASA, or a good 400 ASA, film with average lenses. In my "day" I was using PanX @50 ASA with the Olympus 350mm f2.8 on a big Bogen tripod with electronic remote control shutter release on my OM-4. My "speed" film was Kodachrome 64. No way 5MP is even close to that, and I know because I'm using 5MP now.

10, maybe. Probably just a touch more when compared to the films I just mentioned.

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Well, IMHO whoever said "5MP" is absolutely clueless. That's probably the equivalent of 200 ASA, or a good 400 ASA, film with average lenses. In my "day" I was using PanX @50 ASA with the Olympus 350mm f2.8 on a big Bogen tripod with electronic remote control shutter release on my OM-4. My "speed" film was Kodachrome 64. No way 5MP is even close to that, and I know because I'm using 5MP now.

10, maybe. Probably just a touch more when compared to the films I just mentioned.

I forgot about the ISO/ASA factor. "10 maybe" Thanks Snake.
I was getting the feeling the question was either of the "what's the best speakers under $10" type or the info was being held back by the Masons or Stonecutters and I'd have to do more than simply ask.

rock.gif

Jan 21, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #35 of 37
A lot of that has more to do with the quality of the lense than the CCD size. I have a 7.1mpix Canon Powershot G6 and have printed 26x34 on the big honkin' printer at my buddies print shop (they do banners and stuff) and it looks amazing. I've seen tiny little point and shoot cameras with 4mpix CCDs but a tiny pin hole lense and it'll never take good shots except in well lit conditions.

Jan 22, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Does anyone know the digital/megapixel size equivalents of the different film formats. I've never gotten a satisfactory answer to this.
I took a guess that 12 megapixels = 35mm but don't know how far off I am.

I'm not sure what you mean by megapixel equivalent to film format.
I have had 8 mp shots blown up to 16X20 prints with no grain, or loss of detail and that was with Jpeg files. I was very nervous about printing Jpegs at that size, but the prints look great. I would have gone bigger, but the next size was 20X30 and my photo didn't crop well to that ratio.

Film speed equivalents are more dependant on the software and quality of the sensor than the megapixel count.

Jan 22, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #37 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Question: How does one archive digital shots?

Film negatives and prints last pretty much forever while digital storage media is still kinda iffy. Some CDRs are good for 10 years, maybe more, others crap out after a couple years. Harddrives & computers crash and it's just not reassuring.

I read somewhere that they recommend backing up to a hard drive... possibly 2 as well as cdr/dvd. After 5 years you should back up your whole library again. Seems about the only way to stay current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back