WOW! My new favorite piece of music!
Sep 21, 2003 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
My mother and I really like classical music. One day she put on a piece from Prokofievs Romeo and Juliet called "Capulets and Montagues" (for obvious reasons).

All I can say is I have never heard a better piece of music in my life. I think I listened to it 15 times in a row.

The recording is fairly old and not that great. The CD came out in 1983 right when the first CDs arrived. It even has a section in the liner notes describing what a CD is!

Anyway, I would like a better recording of it on either CD or DVD-A if possible. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sep 21, 2003 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 3
I really like listening to ballet music myself, and Prokofiev most famous is "romeo & juliet" as well as "cinderella" but there are many other lesser known orchestral works that can still be purchased as well as 6 symphonies.

Jarvi/Chandos
Has very complete and well recorded set of most of Prokofiev's orchestral and symphonic works, some of which are more modern sounding than "romeo" these will be full price however
frown.gif

There is usually 15 or more versions of "romeo" out at anytime and I have 5-6 in my collection but don't seem to be in catalog now:
Salonen/Sony
Dutoit/London
Maazel/London
Pesek/Virgin
You can check Amazon to see if used copies are available.

Perhaps best place to start out is with budget priced CD collection like Naxos:

267838.JPG

Sep 21, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 3
Telarc has a SACD hybrid disk called "Joan and the Bells". It has some opera piece and Suite #2 of R&J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back