WOW moment with HD600
Apr 24, 2009 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

madmax7

500+ Head-Fier
So like most others, I was growing tired of waiting for my HD800s to ship, so I decided to grab a pair of HD600s to tide me over. I had already owned the HD650 with Cardas cable and really liked them but sold them off a while ago.

I have the JVC HP-DX1000 but it's a little too low impedance for my Woo 3. While it does sound "good" it doesnt have the weight that a better paired amp would probably have with the DX1000.

I do love my Senn IE8 but was missing my Woo and Rotel bedside setup. Thus picking up the HD600 until (ad naseum) we get our HD800s. So they come this morning and I plug them into my RSA Hornet "M" Ipod setup.

The first song that comes up is Porcupine Tree - "Buying New Soul" and there it was, without any burn in, the WOW! factor. These just sounded so sweet I could not beleive it! None of the famous/infamous veil that was clealry there with the HD650. I even did the remove foam and replace with nylon stocking trick to clear up the highs.

These just sound so good to me I was blown away! Can't wait to get them home and plug them into the Woo and listen to the Rotel. But even just out of the Ipod/Hornet the bass was deep, clean and tight with really nice mids and surprisingly clear highs. Very flat and un-colored. Anyways, just thought I would share a "wow" moment with you. Happy friday all!

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 23
Thanks for the impressions, it was a good read. I think the hd600s and RSA hornet gave the wow for me to everytime I listened...clearly, the hornet(can't speak about any other rsa products as I've not heard them) was built using the hd600.

Happy Friday to you, too.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 23
i tried HD600 with mustang today. sound isn't still coming out fully, feel like its "jammed halfway". but using with a low end desktop amp is almost the same. HD600 needs to have a "bigger" setup to make it puke the sound out from its guts. haha.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 23
I say the veil is a load of cr@p. Whats that even mean? That there is a mystical piece of fabric hanging over the driver. Veil or no veil Senns sound fabulous to me, dark and smooth.
wink.gif

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 24, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 23
I'm planning on building a Millet Mini-Max sometime in the near future to be used with my 600's. I've heard good things about this pairing, and the price is certainly right (I also like DIY, it keeps me busy).

Bob

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD600s are sweet phones! They sound even better balanced!!! Now, now... dont even think to ask me how they compared to the
HD800s (single-ended)!
very_evil_smiley.gif

You didn't just go there did you!?
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just got my 600 cable/grille my 580 sound and look amazing. congrats.

And that is all the matters! Enjoy!
beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamahome77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you ever tried the HD600 with blue cardas cables? When I switched to blue cardas cable, I thought the veil was gone and the bass got tighter with a little more impact. More noticeably enjoyable than stock HD600 cables.

Actually just got them today. But yes, I will get an aftermarket cable for sure. The Cardas cleaned up my HD650 very nicely. Just not sure if I will get the Cardas or the Stefan. I have the HD800 on the way too so... My wallet!
evil_smiley.gif
As of right now, I'm not hearing any veil at all with these. I will post more impressions when I get them home on my tube setup. So far, I am really enjoying the HD600, more than I ever did my HD650.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 23
Sounds like the WA3 choked on the HD650 but is driving the HD600 just fine. And a properly powered HD600 is a wow-worthy thing. Dynamic, open, lively, and very very neutral with great tone and decent detail. Also pretty forward, which it won't be when it's underdriven.

The HD650 will also eventually sound like that, with a more euphonic tone and better imaging and detail, but you'll need a lot more than a WA3 to get there.

I wouldn't wait for burn-in to work miracles, and I would look less into cables and more into better sources and amps. Cables matter but upgrading elsewhere is usually better bang for the buck. Though I do have to say that the stock HD600 cable is pretty dismal.

Apr 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 23
I made a custom cable for my HD600 and it did make it sound noticeably clearer in the treble area, bass was improved as was detail, and also sounded much more transparent. The Cardas cable I originally got had a busted wire in it somewhere, so I gave that to a friend. Alos that was 4150 lost since the seller wouldn't refund my money.

Back on track though...

First time I got WOWed was when I played the intro track from Iced Earth's "The Crucible of Man" album. Just sounds friggin brilliant with my Zune > Fischer amp.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #15 of 23
i prefer my ath-ad2000 to my 600's. but hey, we're all different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back