WOW! kayo dot, sleepytime gorilla museum...
Nov 10, 2006 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jonnywolfet

Headphoneus Supremus
amazing, absolutely awesome. i have been delving into the avantgarde side of metal, and am loving it.
can anyone reccommend some stuff along the lines of kayo dot, maudlin of the well, bloody panda, sleepytime gorilla museum...
your reccomendations will be really appreciated.
thanks
jon

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 14
Hmm... maybe try looking into these bands/albums:

Unexpect - "We, Invaders"
Fantômas - "Suspended Animation"
Atheist - "Unquestionable Presence"
Isis - "Oceanic"
Tiamat - "Wildhoney"
Faxed Head - "Exhumed At Birth"
Ruins - "Hyderomastgroningem"
Naked City - "Torture Garden"

and maybe also...
The Sawtooth Grin - "Cuddle Monster"
Boris - "Akuma No Uta"

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 14
cool, ill check out a couple of those, (i love fantomas, atheist, isis and boris, tiamat didnt impress me as much, but ill check out that album.)

Nov 10, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 14
While I havent heard that particular release, I found Kayo Dot to be very pretentious ... love Maudlin of the Well however.

Oh sorry I forgot

Avantgarde Metal:

Ram-Zet
Atrox
Forgotten Silence
Madder Mortem
UneXpect
Arcturus
Aarni

Nov 11, 2006 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 14
When you call a band pretentious, what do you actually mean?

Whenever somebody calls a "left-field" musician pretentious or self-indulgent, I just see a musician that's creating the music they want to create, their way.. what's wrong with that?

Honestly, how you can call Kayo Dot pretentious and then raise UneXpect on such a high pedestal is beyond me. You could also call Atrox pretentious.. that voice...

@jonnywolfet: check out Estradasphere, Sir Millard Mulch, Koenjihyakkei, Magma..

Nov 12, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 14
Rather contradictory isn't it ?

I said all I needed to say about my opinion on Kayo Dot in my metal archives review. UneXpect to me has a musical purpose, they are not just there to show off, they are somewhat legitimate. Whereas, in my opinion, Toby Driver has lost the plot with Kayo Dot, I think it is all just an act, a fascade, I don't feel or see anything behind the music. Kayo Dot is very incoherent and pointless and the purpose of the music the way I see it is to confuse the listener into believing that this is something over their head, that Kayo Dot are somewhat elite and masterful, when all in all, they aren't (good with their instruments, yes. But in creating a meaningful piece of music I think that they aren't).

Just my opinion of course
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox
Koenjihyakkei

Yes, forgot about them, definitely check them out!

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 14
In regards to Kay Dot, I think Choirs of the Eye is just downright awesome, but the same can't be said about Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue. As Enverxis said, its just seems a bit pointless and has no real substance, like being weird and awkward just for the sake orginality. This is just my view of course and for the record, I didn't like UneXpects "In a Flesh Aquarium" much either; lol, its just way too chaotic for me!
eek.gif
Way too little continuity and musical flow if you ask me.

Nov 14, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 14
wow, listened to unexpect 'utopia', i hate it, i should of said, nothing bombastic please. this is bordering on power/prog, it makes me cringe.
sorry.

Nov 14, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 14
How about...

Green Carnation - "Light of Day, Day of Darkness"
Arcturus - "The Shame Mirrors"

Nov 15, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet
wow, listened to unexpect 'utopia', i hate it, i should of said, nothing bombastic please. this is bordering on power/prog, it makes me cringe.
sorry.

In A Flesh Aquarium is the album I was referring to, Utopia is more black metallish.
However if you thought that was bombastic ... you might indeed want to pass.

Nov 30, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #12 of 14
First thing that came to mind for me was Time of Orchids - skewed avant-metal on Tzadik (as was Kayo Dot, for one album). I especially like Early as Seen in Pace, but Sarcast While, their latest, is very good too.

The members of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum have participated in all kinds of other projects, many of them sounding absolutely nothing like SGM, but a couple of my favorites are Charming Hostess (only Eat or Punch, not the others) and Faun Fables.

shameless plug: reviews of all of the above available at the website in my sig...

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amazing, absolutely awesome. i have been delving into the avantgarde side of metal, and am loving it.
can anyone reccommend some stuff along the lines of kayo dot, maudlin of the well, bloody panda, sleepytime gorilla museum...
your reccomendations will be really appreciated.
thanks
jon

Not really sure what avant-garde metal is but check out Ulver's Blood Inside. Although I don't really see how it can be counted as metal but 'Garm' has his roots in the metal scene.

Jonathon.

Dec 1, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bwu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing that came to mind for me was Time of Orchids - skewed avant-metal on Tzadik (as was Kayo Dot, for one album). I especially like Early as Seen in Pace, but Sarcast While, their latest, is very good too.

The members of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum have participated in all kinds of other projects, many of them sounding absolutely nothing like SGM, but a couple of my favorites are Charming Hostess (only Eat or Punch, not the others) and Faun Fables.

shameless plug: reviews of all of the above available at the website in my sig...

awesome, i have listened to time of orchids, which is completely mental (avantgarde done really well). love that.
faun fables, are also awesome, not metal at all, more folk than anything else. what i find interesting about faun fables is that it could easily sound the wrong side of prog (i dislike that cheesy sound). its awesome.
thanks!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwatney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really sure what avant-garde metal is but check out Ulver's Blood Inside. Although I don't really see how it can be counted as metal but 'Garm' has his roots in the metal scene.

Jonathon.

oh yeah, ulver, f'ing great, i love pretty much everything by these guys. the early black metal years are good, the newer stuff is cool too. i especially like Perdition city.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back