WOW just plugged my PC into my AV reciever <3
Feb 14, 2010 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oxymoron08

New Head-Fier
ok the story...

I sold my Asus Xonar D2 as it was buggy on win7 64bit. Been looking at headphone amps to improve my sound quality on PC, then started to read a post in this sub-forum that basically said that all a DAC is a box that processes the "1,0,1,0,1,0",well I stared at my AV reciever and thought that must do the same thing!

I plugged my PC into it via a spare SPDIF cable and then my DT770's into the headphone plug.

The results totally own the onboard sound of my PC and Xonar D2! The sound is "wider, deeper & clear", and that was only on testing some crappy 350mb xvid.

Going forward, am I better getting some decent high end cans now and using:

PC -SDIF CABLE > AV RECIEVER > HEADPHONES

Then get a headphone amp later this year, around christmas time?

I don't have hundreds of pounds to spend on all this atm.

I just so impressed with this "free" upgrade.

PS: Is this all just a placebo effect? Am I dreaming this?

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 8
Does the D2 even have a dedicated headamp? Headphones will always sound better with a powerful amp. Enjoy it

Feb 14, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #3 of 8
I dunno, I nearly wasted money on a USB DAC
tongue.gif

Do I need a headphone amp?

Feb 14, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Get the bestest, most fanciest headphones you can afford; then you will see what that receiver's headphone out is really made of!

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 8
The consumer DAC in your receiver is probably better than the other ASUS. As well the receiver probably has a better power supply, and circuitry for the headphone jack.

On the other hand, many folks have remarked on having a terrible USB port which is killing their USB device SQ.

Try your ASUS on another computer. But I am sure the receiver cost several times the price of you ASUS device, and probably has better "stuff" which you are able to hear now that you are paying attention.

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok the story...

I sold my Asus Xonar D2 as it was buggy on win7 64bit. Been looking at headphone amps to improve my sound quality on PC, then started to read a post in this sub-forum that basically said that all a DAC is a box that processes the "1,0,1,0,1,0",well I stared at my AV reciever and thought that must do the same thing!

I plugged my PC into it via a spare SPDIF cable and then my DT770's into the headphone plug.

The results totally own the onboard sound of my PC and Xonar D2! The sound is "wider, deeper & clear", and that was only on testing some crappy 350mb xvid.

Yahman!
My receiver works great with headphones, AudioEngine A2's, and output to the 7speakers + sub --- Receivers are great all in one solutions.
Personally, I haven't tried the external DAC option. But for now, Pioneer receiver [$269] does everything!
It is quite bulky though... but if you have the room for it, then it's perfect.

Feb 15, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by oxymoron08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok the story...

Try and connect your receiver ot the soudncard using analog cables and see if you get a further upgrade in sound. Many do depending on the quality of the card Vs. the quality of the Digital section in the receiver.
It sounds good now but may sound better using an analog patch.

Feb 15, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 8
I sold the Asus Sound card in January as it played up every few weeks. It would dissapear in windows, the card would then need to be removed and would eventually install again if I moved PCI ports several times.

I have now got a new mainboard and switched over to AMD, alas I now only have onboard sound.

I have an STR-DB900 Sony AV Reciever, I dunno how good it is considered for headphones but it certainly is a massive improvement over straight onboard sound.

Going forward my next purchase in the next few months will be some closed headphones for rock. I have some DT770 I bought on these forums in 2008, these are fantastic for gaming and music like hip-hop and Trance (club stuff). I just need a decent headphone for rock then I'm sorted. Any recommendations?

Lastly, do I need a headphone amp? This setup sounds excellent, but could they be fantastic with a headphone amp?

I assume I would plug the HP amp into the analogue ports at the back of the AV reciever? I guess the need for an amp depends on the headphone...

PS: Sorry for my uneducated ramblings, I always feel a bit stupid posting on here with my questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back