Wow its bee a while - Upgrade?
May 13, 2008 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

crackerkorean

Head-Fier
Its been a while since I have posted here.

I have quit my job and I am in school full time to finish up and was thinking that maybe an upgrade might be in order.

I used to have a Sony Minidisc player that I used with a pair of MDR66 Eggos.
That got upgraded to an iRiver H10 20GB player and some Shure E2c (borrowed) ear buds (using currently)

I had to get a new laptop for school (required) and I cannot sync my player with vista (have to have vista business). So I am thinking about getting a new player.

Just not sure what to get, also looking for some new headphone/ear buds.

My wife took my eggos and has a 30gb zune and likes it a lot. So I was thinking maybe the new 80gb zune but not really sure since I have been out of the scene for a while.

Any suggestions? I want good SQ and a good bit of space. I would say a couple of hundred for the player and maybe 150ish for earbuds or headphones.

Thanks for any help.

May 13, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 6
There aren't many current high capacity options since hard drives are being phased out, in fact it's basically the Zune or iPod, and some PMPs. The Zune 80 has very good sound quality, better than the iPod Classic from the headphone output, so I would say it is your best option. I use Denon AH-C700's with my Zune and fine it to be an excellent combo, but some people find them too bright for the Zune, it would be good to know your sound preference and the type of music you listen to.

May 13, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 6
The Zune 80 is a great DAP in it's category. It has excellent SQ, a big, great screen, good interface and it also looks good. It trounces the iPod in all of these categories.
About the earphones, you want IEMs(Like your Shures), correct? What are your music tastes? Do you need good noise isolation?

May 14, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 6
My music taste is pretty much everything but country, metal and rap.
From my speakers I like them to be detailed and not too forward. I am not sure if this helps at all.
The shures are ok but they just seem to be missing that something.

Isolation isnt required, I am still trying to get used to the shures and I am not sure if I like them 100%. They seem to put a bit of pressure on the ear when they are in enough to not come out.

May 14, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 6
OK. If noise isolation isn't required, you can go for the Denon AH-C551/700. It doesn't go as deep in the ear like the Shures do and the noise isolation isn't great. They put up great, detailed and clear sound with a lot of nice bass. HipHopScribe mentioned that he uses the C700 with the Zune and it is a great combo. You might want to PM him about it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Just out of curosity how do the UE and Etys compare to the shures?
I know they are iso type but I was thinking about it and its pretty nice that I dont hear extra noises while I am listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back