Wow, I really like IEM's!
Jun 29, 2006 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
Well my dad was looking for some noise cancelling headphones for flying, so I kindly pointed him towards IEM's. He eventually settled on the ER-6i, and they arrived a couple of days ago. So today, I decided to try them out (using the smallest flange tips, theye the most comfortable so far).

Immediately, I fell in love with them! I can't describe it, other than all I hear is music! Do they perform better than my K340's or others, no, but they do a darn good job! My only complaint is that the music just feels sort of congested, not real soundstage with them, everything is coming from inside my head. This gets me to thinking, does it only get better from here? If I like these, will I end up liking the higher end IEM's and custom monitors?

Aditya

Jun 29, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #2 of 29
Yes.
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 29
I don't like IEM's anymore. Too narrow 'soundstage' and no dynamics/air at all. On the other hand, you get a tremendous amount of detail. But I prefer something small like the KSC75 that IMO outperforms any IEM I've owned.

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 29
I found the UE Super.fi 5 pro to have a very good soundstage... The sound is not in my head at all... The Sennheiser cx300 are different, but they are also waaaay cheaper.

Jun 29, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 29
A1 -- I don't think the improvement in overall sound and soundstage will be equal to the increased costs on a 1-to-1 basis, beyond the point where you are now, now that you've heard the Er-6i's. In other words, while there are increases to be had, you'll pay a lot for the privilege. There seems to be a law of diminishing returns.

You'll have to decide for yourself how much money to pay for increased performance. But you're on Head-Fi, so I think I know where this is going...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 29, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 29
Very good point. I'm going to certainly have to sample some of the higher end IEM's before I commit to anything. I just want to see what room there is for improvement, and if they will come close (or even exceed) the performance of my current cans.

Aditya

Jun 29, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 29
I agree with the ER 6i being a relative "sweet spot" for IEMs with really good sound at a very nice price.

I have enjoyed my ER6i for active activities - walking/gym with nano and shuffle. I have a set of E4c at 3 time the cost, with some SQ improvement (a bit "fuller" sound imo), but was completely spoiled once I got my Senn HD 650s and a good set up. I also find the Shures to be less comfortable, even with the Ety triflange tips. I have small ear canals, and don't tolerate these more than a hour to hour and a half plane flight.

Have a custom (UE10) coming in a week or 2, I will let you know where these fit in between my E4cs and the 650s.

(for the record, I listen to jazz, vocals, classical and some country <well I have ripped some of my old rock music from the 70s as well...>)

Jun 29, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

not real soundstage with them, everything is coming from inside my head

I think that, especially with IEM, the only way to get a real sounstage and less "in the head" is to use crossfeed. After living some days with a good crossfeed, you'll never get back anymore.

Jun 29, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
I don't like IEM's anymore. Too narrow 'soundstage' and no dynamics/air at all. On the other hand, you get a tremendous amount of detail. But I prefer something small like the KSC75 that IMO outperforms any IEM I've owned.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference. I finally bought a pair of KSC75's after reading all the rave reviews about them here. Though the clip-on design is pretty comfortable, I was a bit disappointed by the sound in comparison to the PX200 and E4's. That's not to say that they're not a good value (best sub-$30 earphone I've ever tried).

@a1rocketpilot: yes there is the diminishing returns aspect, but at the same time, you can sometimes waste just as much dough by taking the gradual upgrade route. If I could get back the money spent on the EX-51/71's, E2c and E3c, I'd probably have a nice little pocket amp (and change) to go with my E4's.

Jun 29, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder
But I prefer something small like the KSC75 that IMO outperforms any IEM I've owned.

I like my KSC75s but I don't think they can compete with my Superfi 5 pros. The KSC75 bass just isn't as deep as i would like.

Jun 29, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 29
IEMs are alot like drugs. They're gaining popularity, and each time you try them you always want more soundstage, and thus more expensive IEMs.

Jun 29, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
IEMs are alot like drugs. They're gaining popularity, and each time you try them you always want more soundstage, and thus more expensive IEMs.

So true. That's why those meth addicts are willing to do practically anything to get a better soundstage.

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #13 of 29
Once you try IEM's there is no turning back !

The Ety's are a little week and tinny for me. Very one dimensional and the impedance is set way too high and it's only a single driver. A single driver jsut cannot compare to a dual or triple.

A great generic fit iem is the UE-5 Pro. Dual driver with great seperation and clarity with a great sensitivity level to be driven with an ipod or other mp3 player.

For a triple driver the UE-10 is the only way to go !

I honestly have'nt heard anyhing else that compares !

Enjoy the iem life !

Have Fun !

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by VaporTrails
Once you try IEM's there is no turning back !

The Ety's are a little week and tinny for me. Very one dimensional and the impedance is set way too high and it's only a single driver. A single driver jsut cannot compare to a dual or triple.

You must be trying to run a pair of er4s out of a portable.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
You must be trying to run a pair of er4s out of a portable.
wink.gif

Haha, just maybe he is!
tongue.gif

Anyway, for my 2 cents; the KSC75 is better than my 5 Pros. Even my friends, who think my hobby is stupid, tried them both and agreed: the 75 sounded way better than the 5 Pro.

When I first got the 75, I was like "Wow, it's like the 5 Pro w/o isolation!" Then I wore them around school for a whole day. When I came home and tried the 5 Pro, I almost fell onto my bed in shock: the 5 Pros sounded WORSE than the 75! And to this day, I still think the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back