WOW!!! I had no idea!
May 14, 2008 at 2:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

ingwe

Headphoneus Supremus
I always thought the Andromeda Galaxy (M31) was just a point in the night sky. Boy was I wrong!

Imagine what the night sky would look like if our eyes were more sensitive...

May 14, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 35
Wow - thats pretty cool!

May 14, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagine what the night sky would look like if our eyes were more sensitive...

That's what telescopes were invented for.
wink.gif

Andromeda is truly magnificent. Much more beautiful than the Milky Way, IMO.

Imagine what the night sky would look like if there was no light pollution.

I wish I was in NY during the time of the blackout a few years back.. The night sky was probably amazingly gorgeous.
frown.gif

Nothing is ever really just a tiny "point." It just depends on what perspective you view it at.
When we look up at the night sky, all we see are tiny dots that can be a billion trillion times the size of the Earth. The sun is a few hundred thousand times the size of the Earth, but that's no comparison to everything else out there.
Astronomy is fascinating. Just thinking about the universe can give us a sense of how minuscule we really are.

May 14, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaLyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what telescopes were invented for.
wink.gif

Imagine what the night sky would look like if there was no light pollution.

I wish I was in NY during the time of the blackout a few years back.. The night sky was probably amazingly gorgeous.
frown.gif

Nothing is ever really just a tiny "point."

I am a high-school graduate.
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, I agree with everything you said.

What's particularly striking is that, from the Earth, the angular size of M31 is larger than the moon. That is, if our eyes were more sensitive, or M31 were much brighter, it would appear in our night sky larger than the full moon--without magnification. Imagine something over 200 million light years away dominating our night sky!

May 14, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by BetaLyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andromeda is truly magnificent. Much more beautiful than the Milky Way, IMO.

Said from the perspective of an insider. You might have a different opinion if you ever got the chance to see the Milky Way from within the Andromeda galaxy.
wink.gif

May 14, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #10 of 35
Physics in general blows my mind. Equally astonishing as the comprehension of how small we are relative to the rest of the universe is how large we are compared to the smallest scale particles. And if string theory is even the slightest bit correct... that scares me.

May 14, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad you won't be around in about 3 billion years when Andromeda and the Milky Way collide. Then you'd get a great view. Here's an article about it.

I've been taking my fish oil and vitamins, so will post about it as it happens.
wink.gif

May 14, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 35
i think physics really hasn't anything to do with it. andromeda rally want nothing to do with us but they will eventually be drawn to our ribs and beer places as a taste of the forbidden fruit. after the moo wars some thousand years ago, the market has never been the same.

the thousand years however is a number obtained by researchers in japan who received the capsule about 1200 and came across the vastness of space. really, it was a war that was probably fought over a million years ago. while, i read the manuscript, i could not understand everything and am a little caught by their strange use of the full. stop.

but one thing for certain could be ascertained from the mostly gibberish in their anals: beef was out - at least at an official level. moohibition era. but they will come. chaos will ensue and despite their higher level of technology and better diet, we will pull ahead.

no one worry. i am confident in our indefatiguableness.

May 14, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but one thing for certain could be ascertained from the mostly gibberish in their anals: beef was out...

biggrin.gif
This was the funniest thing I've seen written in a long time. While I'm not normally into playing any kind of "grammar police" role in forums, I believe you meant "annals" here. But as written, the sentence is hilarious to me.
tongue.gif

All in good fun...

May 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by guzziguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too bad you won't be around in about 3 billion years when Andromeda and the Milky Way collide. Then you'd get a great view. Here's an article about it.

HubbleSite - Cosmic Collision

Check out the red linked video.

That would be one hell of a view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back