WOW!!! I gave J River a try...
Nov 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #31 of 47

No kidding? I just want to use it as a Juke-Box anyway, and my trial is running out.
All the same features for the Audio Library?

PS There are some differences, amongst them no ASIO support and no THEATER VIEW. Asio support, that hurts!
Quote:
I've been using J.River for years now and have been very happy with it. It gives me all the functionality I want without having to dig and search and set it up myself like in foobar. Their library management is top notch. I predominantly only use their music section, although the video section has been useful on occasion for organizing some home videos.

They also have a free version available (J.River Media Jukebox) which is a pared down version which only handles music, which is more than enough for most people.

Nov 19, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #32 of 47
Well I think J. River offers a lot of features for $50, besides it does sound good without missing a beat or hiccup when it is running on a Centrino 1.7Ghz with 1 G memory on Win 7. After a few days of getting use to the operations, I am still learning about it, too many features. It still has a few bugs that needed to be fixed.

For those who are not willing to pay the $50, there is a always an easy way to find a  crack code for it.

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #34 of 47

Quote:
Quote:
For those who are not willing to pay the $50, there is a always an easy way to find a  crack code for it.

Really? You're willing to risk viruses, trojan horses, keyloggers, etc. in order to play music? Even though there are programs that do everything JRiver does for free?

Hi,

Can you give me a music player that rip, burn,podcaster and act as a music server all in one,  for free I am interested?

Nov 19, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #35 of 47
Pretty much the only program suitable for archive quality rips and burns in Windows is EAC. I certainly wouldn't trust a bloated program like JRiver to perform that critical task properly. EAC is free. Foobar does everything else on your list. Also free.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #36 of 47
There's no need to continually rag on J.River just because you don't like it.

It performs ripping functions just fine. EAC is also an excellent program. iTunes, though I don't like it personally, is also perfectly functional and does most things that people need.

I did at one point compare J.River (free version) and EAC rips and the resultant files were identical.

Nov 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #37 of 47

Quote:
There's no need to continually rag on J.River just because you don't like it.

It performs ripping functions just fine. EAC is also an excellent program. iTunes, though I don't like it personally, is also perfectly functional and does most things that people need.

I did at one point compare J.River (free version) and EAC rips and the resultant files were identical.

Thank you for this, I hate how people automatically assume not to trust J. River

Nov 19, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #38 of 47

Quote:

If you want a burned disc identical to the original pressing though, you need to preserve gaps, and you need to correct for your CD drive's offset. I don't think J River does either of those. Assuming a disc isn't scratched, just about any program can rip a disc, it's not that tough of a task. What EAC does is compare the CRC data of your rip to the test, and compare your rip to the AccurateRip results database. That way you can be sure of a 100% perfect rip.

In any case, I'm not seeing where J River is worth $50. And then when they come out with J River MC 16. where that's worth another $50.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #41 of 47

Just a tweak for anyone interested ~ I find the following settings sound best and are fully compatible with the buffer requirements
 of my Arcam rDAC and Rega DAC. If the music clips then these settings may not be ideal for your DAC.

Highly recommended

J River Media Settings:-

1) Enable Play Files From Memory Instead of Disk
 2) Pre-Buffering set to 20 seconds
 3) Buffering set to 1.99 seconds

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #42 of 47
I just loaded JRiver Media Player 16.  I was using WinAmp, but it kept stopping and starting when I'd open and close other apps and what not.  Very annoying.  Jriver doesn't suffer from that problem.  But it's introduced a constant hiss that's too loud to be ignored.  It's not just that it hisses, but even system sounds are accompanied by the hiss now.  It starts hissing right before a sound plays and stops right away after whatever sound playing stops.  It's even more annoying because the hiss affects ALL audio on my computer since installing it.  I'm using a HiFiMan EF2A via the USB connect (Burr Brown DAC).  Even after uninstalling the hiss is still there.  Any way to fix this? 

Nov 23, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #43 of 47
JRiver is actually the best of the standard media centre type packages. Im not counting Foobar here, as you need to customize it yourself and it is beyond the capability of most people.

But compared to the rest it does have an easy to use interface, and most importantly it supports the id2v3 tagging of WAV files which iTunes does not.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #44 of 47

Quote:
I just loaded JRiver Media Player 16.  I was using WinAmp, but it kept stopping and starting when I'd open and close other apps and what not.  Very annoying.  Jriver doesn't suffer from that problem.  But it's introduced a constant hiss that's too loud to be ignored.  It's not just that it hisses, but even system sounds are accompanied by the hiss now.  It starts hissing right before a sound plays and stops right away after whatever sound playing stops.  It's even more annoying because the hiss affects ALL audio on my computer since installing it.  I'm using a HiFiMan EF2A via the USB connect (Burr Brown DAC).  Even after uninstalling the hiss is still there.  Any way to fix this? 

Doesn't make sense, that it's related to the JRMC.  Something else happened coincidentally at the same time.

Are you running powered speakers?  Balanced cables to these speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back