Wow, didn't know Bose was that bad!
May 28, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A cousin of mine has some BOSE-branded speakers for his computer and is very proud of it. I chose to maintain my good relationship with him.
tongue.gif

Same here. A dormate had some BOSE computer speakers... they're warm little things.

May 28, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynbluejeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's okay to bash and smash and ream-out Bose if that's how you feel. But over at that other thread "Bose headphones...over priced and crappy sound?" you'll find a link at post #79 in which a headphone magazine polled some "experts" to see which they preferred. And guess what? Bose QC2 topped the list!

I dunno, I wonder if maybe some of you needed to burn-in your Bose? Like maybe then you would have liked them ... as did those people that gave their opinions to the magazine that ranked them. Just a thought.

Headphones is our hobby, Guy. Trust me, we are more serious about headphones than those 'experts' in the magazines. Do the 'experts' spend thousands of hours listening to headphones, painstakingly dissect every aspect of headphone listening and agonize over which production run of the same headphone sound the best? Well, we do. And yes, we do burn in our headphones (we even have a stickied thread just for newbies to read on that topic) and we do compare headphones side-by-side, most of us own multiple pairs of headphones (I doubt the reviewers own their samples) and listen to them on a regular basis (something else I doubt the reviewers do). BOSE is to headphones as is Starbucks is to coffee - the uninitiated think that they're awesome, but it is not the best value and what's worse (at least to us connoisseurs) is that it does not conform to our ideal of how hi-fidelity sound should be. This topic is one of the most discussed in this forum and we have come to the consensus that BOSE is not worth the money and that's that. Don't believe us? Buy some proper headphones and see for yourself.
evil_smiley.gif

May 28, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #34 of 65
I tried the triports at Best Buy. They were REALLY comfortable, but the soundstage wasn't so great. At least, compared to my E4Cs.

To be honest, I just can't bring myself to wear full cans in public. Even if you're not trying to look pretentious, you still definitely give off that impression.

May 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #35 of 65
for what the acoustimass stuff is, it isnt bad. my dad installs home theater stuff, and some guy wanted his set up. when all was said and done, it wasnt THAT bad. Worth the price? NO. but the guys wife "needed" tiny speakers b/c she thought that speakers always looked hideous.

well it is over priced, but not as bad as headphones imo- atleast it has a purpose.

May 29, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #36 of 65
So much good info, so many excellent comments. You people are killing me.:)

At the moment I'm leaning towards ... ah ... I don't dare say. I'll sleep on it (again) folks.

I went out a few minutes ago and picked up a sweet little Sony voice recorder that records and plays in stereo. I bought it at a discount because it was a return. I monkeyed with it for a minute or so and discovered to my interest that someone left a message on it pertaining to some beef with a car rental outfit and, I think, insurance company. I hope I don't discover that someone was murdered. THAT would be bad!

Oh, incidentally, the recorder is a Sony SD-30, in case you're interested. I'm going to use it to record that 20-minutes worth of pink noise that someone provided a link to and then loop it and let in run for a couple of days plugged into my (WONDERFUL:) Bose.

Again All, thanks for your friendly comments and have a great Memorial Day, or what's left of it.

May 29, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #37 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BOSE is to headphones as is Starbucks is to coffee - the uninitiated think that they're awesome, but it is not the best value and what's worse (at least to us connoisseurs) is that it does not conform to our ideal of how hi-fidelity sound should be.

I think that's the best summary of Bose that I've heard yet, sums up their strategy, pricing and products nicely. I've tried all their triports and they're not up to par with anything else above £75.

May 29, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #39 of 65
May 29, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #40 of 65
Not a bose basher or a fan. Heard some of the home theatre set-ups not very impressive and seemed overpriced. What I can't figure out is why they don't publish any specs other than watts (is this still the case ?). Not what would be expected from a "high end" audio producer. I just remember the sound as mid-heavy and not much detail , very mass-market sound and what the minions want. Not really what one finds Head-Fi for... I like to think some people are content to hear the windchime while most here also want to hear the wind blowing through the chime. Know what I mean ?

May 29, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #41 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i broke a bose subwoofer at bestbuy, got kicked out.

Why am I the only one to ask you to elaborate?

May 29, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #42 of 65
Quote:

The Triport In-Ears made a bit of a splash as they were allegedly better for the price than the other BOSE models, but following this came a period of steady disillusionment.

I tried them at the BOSE store. They sound terrible compared to the full size triports... very inarticulate and veiled.

May 29, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #43 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to think some people are content to hear the windchime while most here also want to hear the wind blowing through the chime. Know what I mean ?

Well, not if you want the windchime to sound like the wind blowing through the chime. Know what I mean?

May 29, 2007 at 7:11 AM Post #44 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a bose basher or a fan. Heard some of the home theatre set-ups not very impressive and seemed overpriced. What I can't figure out is why they don't publish any specs other than watts (is this still the case ?). Not what would be expected from a "high end" audio producer. I just remember the sound as mid-heavy and not much detail , very mass-market sound and what the minions want. Not really what one finds Head-Fi for... I like to think some people are content to hear the windchime while most here also want to hear the wind blowing through the chime. Know what I mean ?

i wouldn't pay $150 for a windchime

May 29, 2007 at 11:09 AM Post #45 of 65
I wonder if I send my Bose back if they'll give me a refund once they discover that I erased all but one of the songs on the mp3 player they included in the deal?

I would think they would but you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back