Wow, didn't know Bose was that bad!
May 28, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #16 of 65
I tried the Triports at Target, and the sound was nothing to write home about, but they were ridiculously comfortable. By far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

May 28, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #17 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by guynbluejeans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's okay to bash and smash and ream-out Bose if that's how you feel. But over at that other thread "Bose headphones...over priced and crappy sound?" you'll find a link at post #79 in which a headphone magazine polled some "experts" to see which they preferred. And guess what? Bose QC2 topped the list!

I dunno, I wonder if maybe some of you needed to burn-in your Bose? Like maybe then you would have liked them ... as did those people that gave their opinions to the magazine that ranked them. Just a thought.

The head-fi community is 55,000 strong. If Bose was any good we'd have heard by now.

The Triport In-Ears made a bit of a splash as they were allegedly better for the price than the other BOSE models, but following this came a period of steady disillusionment.

May 28, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #18 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by niels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BOSE, Buy Other Stereo Equipment.

/me like that one...
tongue.gif

May 28, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 65
I'm not going to argue the Bose stereos are good, but I would be willing to bet he had the bass and treble all the way up. Just about everyone I've ever seen with Bose always cranked the Bass and Treble. That and the speakers are hidden behind stuff, at different heights, randomly thrown around the room, playing in Rock effect mode, etc., etc..

They can sound reasonably decent if the speakers are placed correctly and setup right. Reasonably decent compared to other HTIB systems.

May 28, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #20 of 65
Well, I just finished listening to some classical music on my Bose QC2s and I thought it sounded really nice. I would be much more ready and willing to ship them off (even before they're burned-in) if it weren't for the fact that every time I do some reading on what others suggest to replace them with, I read negative things about them, too.

Take for example those Gardos. I read many reports that they produce nice sound and, yet, I've read a bunch of stuff about them being horribly uncomfortable. What fun is that?

And probably those ear-bud types do produce great sound but my ear canals are small and so they'd kill me just trying to put them in.

And then there are those Sennheisers that people rave about, but those, I hear, need amps. (Me don't want one.)

My own sources that I'll be listening from are pretty simple -- iMac, an older portable Panasonic CD player, Bose Wave 2, and a couple of walkmans and later on an iPod. Plus here in my small apartment, the noise cancelling on the Bose are nice for keeping the frig (behind me) somewhat silent.

So, maybe I am a fool for thinking I can burn these crummy Bose headphones into something very pleasing. But if I do keep 'em and sometime down the line I need another cord ... at least I know they'll send me one without giving me a hassle. Plus at least we can all agree that the things are comfortable.

Did I mention lately that this is a cool website?:)

P.S. I hope my little ramblings don't constitute me hijacking the thread. Don't mean too!

May 28, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Well, I just finished listening to some classical music on my Bose QC2s and I thought it sounded really nice. I would be much more ready and willing to ship them off (even before they're burned-in) if it weren't for the fact that every time I do some reading on what others suggest to replace them with, I read negative things about them, too.

Take for example those Gardos. I read many reports that they produce nice sound and, yet, I've read a bunch of stuff about them being horribly uncomfortable. What fun is that?

And probably those ear-bud types do produce great sound but my ear canals are small and so they'd kill me just trying to put them in.

And then there are those Sennheisers that people rave about, but those, I hear, need amps. (Me don't want one.)

My own sources that I'll be listening from are pretty simple -- iMac, an older portable Panasonic CD player, Bose Wave 2, and a couple of walkmans and later on an iPod. Plus here in my small apartment, the noise cancelling on the Bose are nice for keeping the frig (behind me) somewhat silent.

So, maybe I am a fool for thinking I can burn these crummy Bose headphones into something very pleasing. But if I do keep 'em and sometime down the line I need another cord ... at least I know they'll send me one without giving me a hassle. Plus at least we can all agree that the things are comfortable.

P.S. I hope my little ramblings don't constitute me hijacking the thread. Don't mean too!

Maybe try some other head-fi recommended headphones. That or just be happy with your Bose and run away now. Otherwise you're doing alot of reading on only the negative points and trying to stay 100% positive on the Bose.

One more thing, you could have picked up a pair of HD580's and an Amp and still be under budget for your pair of QC2's. Yet you'd be so far ahead in sound quality
wink.gif

May 28, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #22 of 65
Don't know how the QC2 are....

But regardless how he had bass and treble set up on his system, there is a lot of missing frequencies that cannot be produced by the BOSE. I suspect this is due to their small size. And, vocals should never, ever, ever come out of a subwoofer. If the speakers could reproduce down to 100Hz and the subwoofer could take it on from there, it would be fine. But the speakers only go down to 280Hz, again because of their small size.

May 28, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Grado comfort is person-to-person. I find my SR-60s with the original pads pretty comfortable if I take my glasses off. And not every Sennheiser needs an amp; they just sound better to people when amped.

May 28, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #24 of 65
Thanks All! Trying to sort all of this out is giving me brain cramps but I guess that's just how it goes. I did read some very nice reviews at Amazon about them. Hmm. Too many tough choices for a simple guy like me.:)

May 28, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #26 of 65
Quote:

So you want comfortable, isolating headphones that work without an amp?

http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html

May 28, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #28 of 65
If you like your Bose, and you're happy with them, why are you trying to force yourself to like something else?

Our opinions don't need to match yours. The *only* way you will decide if something else is better is to listen for yourself. Reading other people's opinions should never be the way to form your own.

Very few people are happy with what they have. If you are, then I'd say consider yourself lucky and move on.

GAD

May 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #29 of 65
I am pretty exclusively with JBL Speakers, but i do happen to have a bose acoustimass system laying around, its atleast 10 years old, but certainly i dont really notice voices coming out of the subwoofer, perhaps it is a bit better then new models? It still sucks though regardless, haha compared to any other speaker brand.

May 28, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 65
Quote:

Sennheiser HD 485, HD 555/595, HD 25 they don't need an amp, not the beyerdynamic DT 770 32Ohm either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back