WOW! dbPoweramp now has EAC technology?!
Oct 2, 2007 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

SR-71Panorama

Headphoneus Supremus
I was browsing dbpoweramps site (haven't been on in at least a year) and it appears they now edge out Exact Audio Copy for error-free ripping! They have accurate rip, among other things. Whats really awesome is it appears you can rip directly to Apple Lossless.

I have been using E.A.C., and ripping to wav, then converting those wavs to ALAC in itunes, which takes forever. Sidestepping this has been a goal of mine for some time, but I only want accurate rips. Looks like its dbPoweramp to the rescue!
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 38
Oct 2, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 38
I looked again and there are 3 versions: free, mp3, and reference.

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was browsing dbpoweramps site (haven't been on in at least a year) and it appears they now edge out Exact Audio Copy for error-free ripping! They have accurate rip, among other things. Whats really awesome is it appears you can rip directly to Apple Lossless.

I have been using E.A.C., and ripping to wav, then converting those wavs to ALAC in itunes, which takes forever. Sidestepping this has been a goal of mine for some time, but I only want accurate rips. Looks like its dbPoweramp to the rescue!
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Lol, grow a braincell.

Converting to a codec[ALAC] has nothing, say it in bold, NOTHING to do with ripping.

Also, I believe ALAC can be EACs external encoder. So, it would do it in one button press.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EAC Log
Track 1

Filename C:\Documents and Settings\Chri5\Desktop\New Folder (3)\01 - Broken.wav

Pre-gap length 0:00:02.00

Peak level 98.0 %
Track quality 100.0 %
Test CRC 1FC678AD
Copy CRC 1FC678AD
Accurately ripped (confidence 6) [6393A9DB]
Copy OK

Oct 2, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 38
I have been using dbPowerAmp's ripper for a few months now, I like it a lot. It has replaced EAC as my ripper of choice. But I can understand how others would still prefer an open source / free tool over a proprietary tool. No hard feelings, ordinarily I would feel the same way.

For what it's worth, I had already purchased dbPowerAmp's reference edition before I discovered that they had improved their ripper. That was when I switched. I did not buy it specifically to replace EAC.

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

I was browsing dbpoweramps site (haven't been on in at least a year) and it appears they now edge out Exact Audio Copy for error-free ripping!

Thats kind of a silly thing to say.

If something is 'error-free', how can something else be more 'error-free'?
tongue.gif

It matches EAC in ripping new CDs, but it still is untouchable ripping badly damaged media.
It matches CRCs, uses Drive offset, gap detection, creates non-compliant Cue sheets, can dB disable the cache/using C2 pointers...

I share a lot of my rips too, so a Log is vital.

eac3.jpg

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 38
Oh, awkward wording, I was referring to them claiming to have fewer errors than EAC.

As far as encoding to ALAC having NOTHING to do with ripping, this is just semantics; the whole point of my post was getting the rip done in one step, rather than converting WAV to ALAC later on in the process.

Also, I have not been able to have any EAC-based conversions to ALAC, despite several 3rd party software download attempts.

I will try to go grow some brain cells now, as per your suggestion.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

I will try to go grow some brain cells now, as per your suggestion.

wink.gif

I do not know about EAC + ALAC...I use FLAC.

Why can't you use any other Lossless codec?

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Why can't you use any other Lossless codec?

Because he uses an iPod, as do I, and Apple, as of yet, does not support other lossless codecs. I wish they supported FLAC and there have been rumors of FLAC support in Leopard, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by n4k33n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Thank god for rockbox

It'd be nice if they ported it to the nano 2nd gen or new ipods. I'm not criticizing, as I have no idea what goes into reverse engineering firmware.

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by opiumden34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It'd be nice if they ported it to the nano 2nd gen or new ipods. I'm not criticizing, as I have no idea what goes into reverse engineering firmware.

Starting with the previous generation of iPods, Apple started encrypting their firmware. That is why they haven't been RockBoxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back